• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

I'll swop all my garden birds for one fox & a Rufous Hummer. ;)

p.s. Have you visited the Northants thread lately? I replied to your post from over a year ago!

Lol got your update on Northants cheers.. nice images. As it happened I bumped into a YLG a few weeks ago on the Wirral, seems I cant stop finding them now.

Did you check out the Foxes that came to the garden for a sunbath a few weeks ago .... a few pages back on posts #8924 #8930.

Garden species 2012 No. 36
Goosander

2 just flew over

also garden record count of 11 Blackbirds and the Single Fieldfare returns for the 5th day running, Pied Wagtail on the patio and 10 Canada geese over

Last edited:
Just been the usual suspects the last few days, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin and Redpoll have been appearing less frequently though.

Garden was strangely quiet yesterday despite the fact that it was almost -7C at around 6.30am in the morning and not being much warmer through the rest of the day.

Things appeared to be better this morning, then around 9.30am this morning, whilst I was in the kitchen making some coffee, the Sparrows in the front garden started making a right racket, much noisier than usual, they quietend down so I opened the curtains and rolled up the blind. Shortly afterwards the racket started again, so I looked out. OMG!!! quickly nipped through to the living room to get my camera, went carefully back to the kitchen window and got a few pics of the culprit that was causing the row:

At last, my very own |=)|
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30990364@N04/6811186227/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30990364@N04/6811187585/

He was hopping about in the hedge trying to catch a sparrow, not sure if he was successful though because he went down the other side of the hedge, where I couldn't see him, then flew off after a couple of minutes. Birds in the back garden are a lot jumpier now but I'm not surprised, I need to keep my eyes peeled incase Mr S comes back |=)|

Hi all Im new.

Sadly I don't have a nice garden for a table as I live in a flat. However about a week ago or so I bought a window feeder ans nut cage window feeder and well up until today I thought it was a waste of time.

Id bought high quality food (Bill Oddies stuff), Nyger seeds and fat balls but had nothing...Until today :D

This morning so far I have had 2 Blue Tits, 32 seperate visits from Starlings (yeah I have been counting :p) 2 Golfinches and a Coal Tit! Im amazed quite frankly! Though I do think they must have been before without me seeing them as its odd they all appear today lol.

Do starlings scare off the other smaller birds though? I had 4 at a time squabbling on the small feeder at one point! All good fun :D

Cheers
Kain

Hi all Im new.

Sadly I don't have a nice garden for a table as I live in a flat. However about a week ago or so I bought a window feeder ans nut cage window feeder and well up until today I thought it was a waste of time.

Id bought high quality food (Bill Oddies stuff), Nyger seeds and fat balls but had nothing...Until today :D

This morning so far I have had 2 Blue Tits, 32 seperate visits from Starlings (yeah I have been counting :p) 2 Golfinches and a Coal Tit! Im amazed quite frankly! Though I do think they must have been before without me seeing them as its odd they all appear today lol.

Do starlings scare off the other smaller birds though? I had 4 at a time squabbling on the small feeder at one point! All good fun :D

Cheers
Kain

well done kain,patience is a virtue :t:

Hi all Im new.

Cheers
Kain

That's not a bad lot of birds for window feeders |=)|

I can't say I've noticed Starlings scaring off other birds (I usually get anywhere between 30 and 200 visting at any one time, usually nearer the 30 mark though) but they often hog the feeders and other birds don't get a look in.

Sandy looked out of the spare room window of our bunglow this afternoon and on the feeders was Female Bullfinch,we watched her for about 15 mins then in flew the male wow,we used to see them at our old place in Greenfield but in the 23 months we have been here this is the first time we have had them,made up.always hope they would show but as not by a wood here like we were in Greenfield were not so sure.B :)B :)B :)

Thank you, for those words of encouragement here's another and the Yellowhammer for good measure. :t:

Fantastic garden bird:t:

Move at end of March.

You might get some good fly-overs. Sadly the best I have managed is a Grey Heron and a duck sp caught me off guard so I couldn't get a firm ID.

At last, my very own |=)|

Well done on the Sprawk:t:

Hi all Im new.

Welcome to the thread and congrats on your visitors so far:t:

Large influx of Amer. goldfinch,dark-eyed junco here,while white-throated sparrows seem to be headed out.Little unusual to have the WT's leaving this early.Had a red-winged black bird scrounging.Very early to have it here in yard.Huge low pressure system centered in oklahoma,collision with cold air is leaving up to a meter of snow in colorado.Not powder either,big wet sticky flakes.Beginning of weather patterns that draws wintering birds on gulf coast,up up into the interiour.Just hope its not too early,still a bunch of winter left.

Edit:fast moving front,up in nebraska allready.

Last edited:
Cold, cold Norwich day again - 11 starling, 6 Blackbird, coal,blue and great tits, 10 chaffinch, a few goldfinch, though double figures in the trees, greenfinch.

Female blackcap and new for the garden common gull!

Thanks guys :) As for the feeder, I used the cups and secured it to the windowframe too with some wire so if the suction does fail it wont fall down and smash :)

This morning is just as busy too :) 24 Starlings, 7 Blue Tits, 2 Coal Tits and 4 Greenfinches. Iv'e also put a bowl of water on the window ledge since everywhere is frozen - quite a few of the feeder visitors have also stopped for a drink too :)

Though at this rate I'll have to top up the feeder again by lunchtime as 3/4 of the food in there has already gone.

Iv'e seen a long tailed tit eying up the feeder but has not been brave enough to visit just yet!

Kain

2 long tailed tits, and the returning goldcrest first since last February,7 chaffinches,15 goldfinches, song thrush, 7 greenfinches. 5 blackbirds. The sky is full of snow and lets hope some more birds.

Garden species 2012 No. 37
Mallard

3 flown over, closely followed by 10 Canada Geese and then possibly 2 Tufted Duck but not sure so not counted (would be a garden lifer too)

and then a moment later

Garden species 2012 No. 38
Blackcap male

superb! I have skewered an apple to one of the tree branches and its sat happily eating away, also 2 LTTs

Its gone a little mad in the last few minutes.

Noticable absence of the Lesser Redpolls this morning and yesterday only 1 showed in the morning but it is good to hear the resident Coal Tits calling now, and they are getting very busy with the sunflower seeds and have started stashing them in my (Sorry looking) hasnging baskets out side the back door. That close I couldnt focus when I tried to take a shot..lol

Last edited:
28 house sparrows just swooped on the fat balls, 2 dunnocks, 2 robins,quite a few gulls flying over.just been out for walk and seen 8 yellowhammers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back