• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Very few Greenfinches around here at the moment just the odd one turning up a couple of times a week,6 months ago they were everywhere,whats happened?

are you keeping a year list in your yard Jeff? if so how many species are you hoping for \ expecting

Hi.
I don't keep a yard year list. (I keep a USA year list and several county year lists, via e-bird.) I normally see about 30 species in our yards. I would see a lot more if I sat where I could see flyovers but normally the sky is blocked out by our trees.
Jeff

welcome back Johny .:t: I've been away for a bit too. Its good to be back and be inspired by others sightings and pictures.

Hey earlybird,

Work once again catching up, so sorry for the delay.

I am using an RSPB standard "tit" box I think, with a sloping roof. It will be about 15ft up on the trunk of a silver birch. We have another on the side of our house, which I feel I should move as we seem to get birds investigating it but I think there is too much disturbance for them to settle.

Updates:

3 coal tits now! becomming quite the hub for them.
Redwings seem to have gone.
Song thrush singing away!

Out of interest Ive notived a pretty amazing nijer feeder in some of the pictures, with about 20 perches sticking out of it, is this homemade or can any one direct me to where they can be bought?

many thanks :)

32 goldfinches on the Niger seed feeders 4 long tailed tits on the fatballs and male bullfinch are the highlights this morning

32 :eek!: thats incredable.:eek!: I'd love to see your local environment that supports that number of finches .I thought we had perfect conditions but we only have 8x goldfinches max

Our little grey wagtail is back again this week. We last saw him 12 months ago. presumably there are no midges and insects down at the Mill leat next door ?

We have upwards of 8x male blackbirds policing the garden at the moment , chasing everything away except for 'Big Woody' .Everything keeps away from big woody if they know whats best for them even the jackdaws ;)

32 :eek!: thats incredable.:eek!: I'd love to see your local environment that supports that number of finches .I thought we had perfect conditions but we only have 8x goldfinches max

Our little grey wagtail is back again this week. We last saw him 12 months ago. presumably there are no midges and insects down at the Mill leat next door ?

We have upwards of 8x male blackbirds policing the garden at the moment , chasing everything away except for 'Big Woody' .Everything keeps away from big woody if they know whats best for them even the jackdaws ;)

you can come up anytime earlybird and see the amount of finches that visit my garden,sometimes more than 38 at times on a going day.

welcome back Johny .:t: I've been away for a bit too. Its good to be back and be inspired by others sightings and pictures.

Hey earlybird,

Work once again catching up, so sorry for the delay.

I am using an RSPB standard "tit" box I think, with a sloping roof. It will be about 15ft up on the trunk of a silver birch. We have another on the side of our house, which I feel I should move as we seem to get birds investigating it but I think there is too much disturbance for them to settle.

Updates:

3 coal tits now! becomming quite the hub for them.
Redwings seem to have gone.
Song thrush singing away!

Out of interest Ive notived a pretty amazing nijer feeder in some of the pictures, with about 20 perches sticking out of it, is this homemade or can any one direct me to where they can be bought?

many thanks :)

johny
this is the one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chapelwood-...XM52/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328004761&sr=8-2

you can come up anytime earlybird and see the amount of finches that visit my garden,sometimes more than 38 at times on a going day.

thanks Roger but I'd eat you out of house and home lol;)

Mrs Peanut hides her food around the house like a squirrel because I eat everything in sight :-O

Must be an amazing spectacle all those finches squabbling :t:

thanks Roger but I'd eat you out of house and home lol;)

Mrs Peanut hides her food around the house like a squirrel because I eat everything in sight :-O

Must be an amazing spectacle all those finches squabbling :t:

i would stock up with no mess sunflower hearts for you EB :t:

5 Siskins - all female just turned up
31 Greenfinch, 10 Lesser Redpoll, 1 Redwing and 1 Fieldfare for the 2nd day running

Last edited:
Some impressive numbers of birds from Dave and others!
Our yards are still busy. A particularly welcome visitor is a female Rufous Hummingbird. She comes to our hummer feeders several times an hour most of the day.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• rufous.jpg
    rufous.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 22
Hi everyone. I use to post here a while back but things have been hectic around here so I havent been online to post my 'Garden Report'. Whenever I can I will.

Topped up food today ready for the cold weather that is now beginning. Meant to be -6 degrees this week in the South East.

Filled the Nyger feeder to which I saw a solitary Goldfinch feed on moments after and put out a large amount of Meal Worms which the Blue Tits and Magpies seemed appreciative of. Tomorrow hopefully I shall buy some lard and make some fatballs.

Currently unsure about the numbers of birds as everything seems pretty hectic to count, but there are a fair amount around. Abesent still though are the Starlings, Jays and House Sparrows.

Today was:

Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Dunnock
Wren
Robin
Blackbird
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Great Tit
Collard Dove
Magpie
Woodpidgeon

Song thrush in trees,female bullfinch on bird table,plenty of house sparrows,goldfinches blackbirds and tit family, are the highlights this morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back