• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Cheers dave,weather lot colder here and have not seen the bullfinch for at least 4 months,usually has the female in tow, but no sign yet, have you had the mealy return yet?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY:t:

My son was here on New Year's Eve and managed to get some photos of this cheeky sparrowhawk, female??? It appears to have a strange pupil in its right eye. The photos were taken through the conservatory window and the tree is about 15 feet away. :t:

Attachments

• P1000290.JPG
    P1000290.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P1000293.JPG
    P1000293.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P1000309.JPG
    P1000309.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 43
Lovely blue-sky-but-cool weather here in Houston. Several birds around, too. Yesterday's list:
Northern Cardinal 2
Carolina Wren 2
Orange-croiwned Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
House Finch 5
House Sparrow 6
White-winged Dove 4
Northern Mockingbird 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Carolina Chickadee 3
American Goldfinch 6
Chipping Sparrow 1

Surprisingly, I haven't seen or heard a Blue Jay or an American Crow yet this year. No Cedar Waxwings or American Robins around either.

Jeff
www,jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Nice Sparrowhawk video. Have a look at this one where a Woodpecker attacks a snake. It doesn't say but maybe the snake had invaded the Woodpeckers nest:

Thanks, Mark.

Good snake / woodpecker vid. Looks to me like the bird was attempting to defend its nest too.

Sorry don't get too much time to post at the moemnt but Happy New Year to everyone.

We have had only the usual visitors, Coal, Great and Blue Tits, Chaffinches a few Gold and Greenfinches. No great increase in numbers though. The Nuthatch is still a regular as are Dunnocks, House Sparrows and 2 Robins.
The Blackbirds are just starting to come back though.

One visitor over the holidays was regular 2 or 3 times a day, The Sparrowhawk, but never saw it catch anything. It rarely lands and if it does it is only seconds.

Keep up the good reports and pics.

Carrion crow, 2 robins, bullfinch,2 coal tits,chaffinches,goldfinches,greenfinches,collard doves,blackbirds,are the highlights this morning.

at last!! seen my first daylight in the garden this week, 12 Lesser Redpoll and a male Siskin are the highlights

the new no mess style feeder is now getting good use (thanks bongo)

Attachments

• _MG_0328.jpg
    _MG_0328.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Lovely video. I think its most likely an adult.

CB

CHeers, CB.

at last!! seen my first daylight in the garden this week, 12 Lesser Redpoll and a male Siskin are the highlights

the new no mess style feeder is now getting good use (thanks bongo)

No probs. It really does reduce the waste. I bought the tray to go with it, which has a good diameter to it and catches almost all the seed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chapelwood-Seed-Catching-Tray-Hook/dp/B003Z99NA6/ref=pd_bxgy_lp_img_c

(I can vouch for some of the reviews in that the screw doesn't fit in all the way to the bottom of the feeder and therefore doesn't make a snug fit. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back