• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

Early Autumn:
Good numbers of Canada Geese flying through.... 17 last night and 26 This morning

Chaffinch also becoming more regular, 2 male and 4 female/juvs

Strange goings on here... I havent seen my 20+ Housesparrows for 3 days now!

How frustrating ....

24 House Sparrows having their afternoon sit-down in the bush at the bottom of the garden....most I have seen to date. Usually about 12 or so are regulars in previous years.......or are they yours Bananafishbones?! ;)

Attachments

• sparrows.jpg
    sparrows.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 57
Feeders went back up yesterday, and it didn't take long for birds to find them again. Blue Tits and Great Tits were the first, and then Coal Tit. Greenfinches have been on the feeders today. 3 Bullfinch visiting too. Also had a handful of hirundines over and 10 Canada Geese.

I had a good day (for me anyway) yesterday. As well as the usual suspects were two Nuthatches on the feeders, a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler (could not decide) and a Yellowhammer. Not technically in the garden but on the electricity cable that crosses our landlords grounds.

Today was annoying (nothing to do with birds) but got invited to test for "Escape to the Country", a week after we had an offer accepted on a house to buy! :C

The usual two at the feeders while I was eating my breakfast, mourning doves and common ground doves. Across the lake, I could hear two Blue jays, it sounded like they were kicking up a fuss, a minute or so later, I heard a pileated woodpecker join them. Soon after, a red-tailed hawk took off from the trees followed by a pileated woodpecker. Also had a fly-by of a black-bellied whistling duck (which I had previously mistaken for wigeons but finally got a good look at yesterday). Also at the lake this morning were the usual suspects. A great egret, little blue heron, double-crested cormorant and common moorhen.

Second record for the Garden

On returning from a outing with my parents, I noticed three Magpies attacking a small creature in the middle of the field that backs onto their house. On closer inspection, after the Magpies flew off due to me scaring them away, I noticed it was a Hedgehog. Only the second garden record. He wandered around the field under my watchful protection, just in case the Magpies returned, and eventually headed to the hedge on the far side of the field. Result!!

CB

of note:
male Sparrowhawk has just cruised through the garden sending everything up..

Grey Heron, 16 Canadas over this morning

18 Greenfinch on the feeders

***update***
A couple of Long Tail Tits pinging around the trees

Last edited:
My brother stopped over friday night as he was driving us to the birdfair, and when I awoke, he said do you have woodcock on your garden list? To which I said yes 1, but not this year, well he saw 2 on saturday morning! My own garden and I miss a bird like that! 2 of them! Feeders are really going strong now. Greenfinches dropping out of nowhere, gone from having a couple the other day to about 10 lining up, rather impatiently I might add! I appear to be upto 2 coal tits now and they have been in every day since the feeders went back up. Also 1 wren has visited on 2 occasions, whihch is a first for quite a while now. Hopefully I will start to see more again of them.

10 goldfinches on the nyger seed,4 long tailed tits on the fat balls,plenty of blue and great tits,greenfinches,robin,doves,chaffinches,after a quiet weekend,today as seen an increase in the number of birds and with the bad weather forecast,who knows?:t:

Managed to ID a new one at the feeder this morning just after I finished eating breakfast outside. A female House Finch. Lifer for me, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

woodcock on your garden list? To which I said yes 1, but not this year, well he saw 2 on saturday morning! My own garden and I miss a bird like that! 2 of them!

Nice garden birds michael.... but unlucky ;)

Managed to ID a new one at the feeder this morning just after I finished eating breakfast outside. A female House Finch. Lifer for me, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

Well done Azzy... its great to get a new one in the garden, especially a lifer :t: Conrats B :)

My greenfinches the other day were all juvs, but today the adults are back around as well, looking rather scruffy. 2 Coal tits visiting once again and the usual great tit and blue tit's. 1 male house sparrow made an appearance. The main highlight was a juvenile Bullfinch feeding away on my sunflower hearts.

Attachments

• Pigeon resize.JPG
    Pigeon resize.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 36
  • juv bullfinch.JPG
    juv bullfinch.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 52
Nice birds for the garden there Cb. Have had 3 Buzzards over today. Around 30 swallows and a few martins mixed in. Got upto 4 Dunnock, c12 greenfinch fighting again to get on the feeders! House sparrow decided to visit again and when he got a look in he was feeding on the seed feeder which has got a robin mix in and was certainly enjoying it. I may have counted 3 Coal tit, but not quite shore. I do have 2 at least. The juvenile bullfinch was in this morning and I have heard others through out the day, also had chiffchaff singing too. Nice and busy.

Attachments

• DPP_0003.JPG
    DPP_0003.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DPP_0009.JPG
    DPP_0009.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DPP_0019.JPG
    DPP_0019.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DPP_0023.JPG
    DPP_0023.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DPP_0024.JPG
    DPP_0024.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
clickety click all the tits today,BLUE,GREAT,LONG TAILED,COAL.all at the feeders and fat balls,goldfinches in numbers at the nyger seed.sparrowhawk appeared yesterday evening,but went very quickly,greenfinches starting to come back in numbers as well.:t:

Garden Highlight Today! In the form of a male Blackcap. Also had a 2 chiffchaff, 1 singing away from the garden and one being given a very hard time around the trees and feeders by the blue tits and great tits. Had upto 20 greenfinch today as well, 4 Dunnocks and 2 Robins. Bullfinches have also been calling from the trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back