• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Still lots of birds here every day. 14-15 species and 50+ individuals. And at least one of our Doiwny Woodpeckers has returned!

Have been noticing several birds are without tails and seeing little scatterings of feathers around the yards. Thought it was cats. Then yesterday afternoon a Cooper's Hawk (like Sparrowhawk in the UK) swooped over the yard and settled in our neighbors' trees. So presumably that's the predator.

Anyone know how to train a hawk to go for White-winged Doves, European Starlings and House Sparrows while leaving other birds alone???

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Very excited to see a pair of House Martins (a first for our yard!) flying about and into and out of the eaves of the house today.

Attachments

• unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 50
The House Martins and Swallows do not nest in our garden but they come in a lot because we have a pond so lots of insects around.

For the first time since before the snow last year we had a Wren in the bushes, so pleased to see that little bird. We also had a Chiff Chaff and in the field next door a Buzzard was perched for a few minutes. Not a bad start to the day all told

Been a while since I've dropped by here. I'm currently in the US as opposed to Australia, so you'll be getting a different garden report from me :p The house I'm staying at actually backs onto a small man-made lake, so we get a wide variety of birds that we can see from the back door. I've been here a week, and so far from the garden there's been a few things.

Common ground dove (pair)
Mourning Dove (multiple pairs)
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Little Blue heron
Common Moorhen
Osprey (direct flyover of the garden very low, they fish in the lake)
Laughing Gulls
Double Crested Cormorant
Brown Pelican (distant flyover)
Wood Stork
White Ibis
Cardinals
Turkey Vultures

Also 2 duck species that I haven't managed to ID yet because they fly by very swiftly and other un-identifiable little brown birds :p

gone through 50 fatballs since last sunday,all to the house sparrows.with a few blue tits joining in when they find some space to get to them.

Buzzard returned this week with 2 sightings, Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Long-tailed Tit family, Nuthatch family and the ubiquitous Pheasant all seen this last couple of days.

CB

Unbelievable sight this morning. Sparrowhawk in pursuit of a pigeon, unfortunately for the pigeon it ended in disaster. Not by being caught by the sparrowhawk, but ploughing into my next door neighbours window!

Got a beautiful sight of the sparrowhawk though sat on the fence looking at the bird and deciding what to do with it for around 5 mins!

Unbelievable sight this morning. Sparrowhawk in pursuit of a pigeon, unfortunately for the pigeon it ended in disaster. Not by being caught by the sparrowhawk, but ploughing into my next door neighbours window!

Got a beautiful sight of the sparrowhawk though sat on the fence looking at the bird and deciding what to do with it for around 5 mins!

It is a wonderful sight to see a Sparrowhawk but sad for the Pigeon.

It's been raining constantly here today and yesterday. Not a break in it. A couple of days ago there were Black vultures circling overhead, and I believe I saw a red-shouldered hawk across the lake, but can't be certain. Yesterday the usual crowd was in view, double crested cormorant, little blue heron, great egret and great blue heron. Today, the common ground doves are indecisive about heading to the feeder or not. I was watching them pace back and forth on the neighbours roof trying to decide whether to fly down or not.

Lucky enough to see this noisy lot from the back garden this morning -

2011-08-10 swallow family.jpg 2011-08-10 swallow.jpg

I thought it was very kind of them to sit there while I grabbed the camera :t:

Hi catbasket

Love shot of the 'your noisy lot' as they sit high up on the wires

Love these birds a lot

Regards
Kathy
x

Back from Turkey..... its raining, the Grass needs cutting, plenty of weeds and no bird food.

Just caught up with the thread... great pics of the Woody Catbasket

Quiet at the momment, Greenfinch the predominant species with a few Blue, Coal and Great Tits.

Robins very vocal

Last Swift yesterday, now looks like it has gone

Hi all,

Not been around for a while, lazyness on my part :(

Usual activity to report from the garden, only surprise is a male chaffinch starting to eat the nyjer seed. Anyone seen that before ?

very quiet here also,long tailed tits have gone,plenty of goldfinch,blue and great tits,greenfinches,a robin,collard doves and the regular 2 bullfinches.
roll on autumn B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back