• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Intresting morning:

Unfortunatly sillouetted against a very gloomy sky and early morning light a HUGE flock of Redpoll were in the feeder trees and were disturbed by the blustery conditions, I could guess at the count of 60-70!!, however I am sure maybe some Siskins and Goldies in with them, whichever it was certainly a larger flock flying away than the ones I have seen over the last 3 months.

More accurate a little later on:
9 Goldfinch, 27 Redpoll (no mealy or possible mealy), 6 Siskin

I really could do with another nyger feeder as the squabbling has started to unsettle the flock when they arrive in big numbers..... however sense must prevail and I cant (refuse!!) keep buying nyger seed in bulk during the next few months...lol

Anyway just a few moments ago a Sparrowhawk attack sent everything airbourne in every direction, NO KILL (I think). Safety in numbers and total confusion is certainly their survival kit

Last edited:
sounds like complete mayhem there Dave.!;)

Maybe you should contact Countryfile or Springwatch and offer them a filming contract in return for sponsoring your birdfeed:t:

I am still here and enjoying all your posts. My commute has started even earlier in the morning due to roadworks and still starts and ends in the dark. Your garden posts are helping me to unwind in the evening. I hope to add some content soon.:t::t:

Have you thought about leaving a cheap point and shoot digital camera to take some pictures during the day whilst you're gone?

I just purchased 2x Nikon Coolpix S200 P&S cameras on ebay for £21.00 and £12.00 each.
Both the cameras have an automatic timelapse setting built in as well as excellent quality video. :t:

Heres one of the Coolpix I fixed to the tree this morning. Hope the goldfinch have'nt been scared off

Attachments

• Coolpix timelapse feeder.jpg
    Coolpix timelapse feeder.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
It's pretty cold here in Houston today but the expected snow didn't turn up. The best thing is lots of us were given the day off, because of dangerous driving conditions. So I'm able to watch the yards instead of working. Lots of birds, including 60+ American Goldfinches. Unfortunately, it's fairly dark and so I doubt I'll get any decent photos. Can't have everything, I suppose!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Well over 70 Am Goldfinch in our yards now. Mingled in with them are at least 5 Pine Siskins. Finally got a photo showing that the Siskins have some green in their plumage.

Other birds, too: N Cardinal, House Finches, N Mockingbird, Blue Jay, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina Chickadee, House Sparrow, Mourning Dove. And several White-winged Doves. The latter are a bit of nuisance but they have pretty eyes!

Jeff
www.jeffincyress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• DSC01468.jpg
    DSC01468.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01459-1.JPG
    DSC01459-1.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 42
Have you thought about leaving a cheap point and shoot digital camera to take some pictures during the day whilst you're gone?
I just purchased 2x Nikon Coolpix S200 P&S cameras on ebay for £21.00 and £12.00 each.
Both the cameras have an automatic timelapse setting built in as well as excellent quality video. :t:
Heres one of the Coolpix I fixed to the tree this morning. Hope the goldfinch have'nt been scared off

I will have a look into this.:t: It looks like a great set up many thanks for the suggestion.:t::t:

Weekend is here which means 2 days to watch my birds well not all day but some of both days! Looking forward to the morning to see what visits really hoping to see goldfinches!
Got a new feeding station just hope all go's well with the feeding on it!

Weekend is here which means 2 days to watch my birds well not all day but some of both days! Looking forward to the morning to see what visits really hoping to see goldfinches!
Got a new feeding station just hope all go's well with the feeding on it!

good luck..!

It took about 7-8 days before our 3x Goldfinches turned up out of nowhere. We hadn't seen one in our garden for years prior to hanging a 16 station Niger feeder as recommended by our Dave (bfb):t:

heavy rain this morning and not much left on the feeders, I'm letting them run right down now its a bit milder so I can take them down and wash them. Still the regulars keep a-coming though, always hopeful! I can't remember if it was this thread someone was asking about how well a corn on the cob was going down, turns out they like it when there's not a lot else to choose from!

Saw a interesting display of Robin aggression this morning too, where the robin arches his neck over his back with his beak open and tail upright. Fascinating to watch.

Also, one of my Blue Tits is munching his way through Niger seed, good to see something's eating it! I've seen the Coal Tits eat from it but this Bluey seems to have really got a taste for it!

Last edited:
Rubbish day really i think the wind has put them right of feeding!!
Had starling's, blackbirds, wood pigeon and house sparrows for about 45 minutes!!!

Rubbish day really i think the wind has put them right of feeding!!
Had starling's, blackbirds, wood pigeon and house sparrows for about 45 minutes!!!

same here !.....:-C weird isn't it ? absolutely nothing zilch nada nix ...

Well ok a few starlings braved the wind to have there usual raucous bunfight and a lonely great tit who I swear is as large as a starling :eek!: not even the jackdaws came today.!

same here !.....:-C weird isn't it ? absolutely nothing zilch nada nix ...

Well ok a few starlings braved the wind to have there usual raucous bunfight and a lonely great tit who I swear is as large as a starling :eek!: not even the jackdaws came today.!

Well did have about 26 starlings feed for about 10 minutes then a few others. But i swear if the wind droped much more would be feeding!v

Even the non stop rain cant dampen some species:

2011 Garden Species No. 38
Song Thrush

The lawn is getting more and more waterlogged, and out pops from the trees a Song Thrush... easy worm pickings.... but it has a battle on with the Blackbirds.

Very dismal day here with constant rain - I got soaked refilling the feeders. Got some crushed peanuts to put in one of the feeders with the hopes of attracting greenfinches. Sparrows and goldfinches are reliable, thank goodness, so I got to watch a bit of feeding. Here's hoping tomorrow is better!

Even the non stop rain cant dampen some species:

2011 Garden Species No. 38
Song Thrush

Not seen one in the garden for weeks:-C

Male Blackcap, c40 Lesser Redpolls and a Mealy were the highlights today. The sunflower heart feeder has been emptied everyday this week whilst I was out earning some cash to keep it full. Watching the various tits and finches today made it worthwhile.

Not seen one in the garden for weeks:-C

Male Blackcap, c40 Lesser Redpolls and a Mealy were the highlights today. The sunflower heart feeder has been emptied everyday this week whilst I was out earning some cash to keep it full. Watching the various tits and finches today made it worthwhile.

A very similar story here bongo the Mealy showed well again, still not able to make it a positive 2 though!! unable to get an exact Lesser Redpoll count but I would say the huge flock consists of 50+

A couple of Siskins too

the Mealy showed well again, still not able to make it a positive 2 though!!

I was the same today, if its any consolation:t: There is one out-and-out definite. Pale as anything. Another was a contender, but couldn't be sure.

The down side of today was watching a neighbour's cat murder a Lesser Redpoll. Nothing I could do, it jumped up from behind a fence|:mad:|

Last edited:
I was the same today, if its any consolation:t: There is one out-and-out definite. Pale as anything. Another was a contender, but couldn't be sure.

The down side of today was watching a neighbour's cat murder a Lesser Redpoll. Nothing I could do, it jumped up from behind a fence|:mad:|

thats a shame bongo, I have been expecting a cat to get one of mine with so many eating off the floor.... fingers crossed it doesnt happen but there are 2 or 3 cats that come through my garden regularly

Even the non stop rain cant dampen some species...

Very dismal day here with constant rain ...

Good to see I was in good company today - it should be minus 10 or minus 20 at this time of year, even minus 30 quite regular, but a right yukky plus 2 today, snow giving way to cold rain. Horrible weather, stayed in my basement all day and started to install new electrics, didn't even bother going into my garden. Did hear the crested Tit churring though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back