• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (10 Viewers)

Did my bird count from 9.45 -10.45 yesterday.
Blackbird 2
Blue tit 5
Chaffinch 10
Collared dove 2
Dunnock 2
Goldfinch 7
Great tit 1
Jackdaw 2
Magpie 1
Pied wagtail 1
Robin 1
Rook 1
Song thrush 1
Sparrow 8
Starling 10

Sadly my 1 greenfinch didn't turn up and neither did the wren. but I was happy that the songthrush appeared briefly just before I finished my hour.

There are some brilliant pictures on here, I am really envious of them all.;)

Bkack "Ouzel" Bird

This fella just flew past my window... now if it had been a month later in the year and I hadnt seen it again I would have been convinced it was an Ouzel.... ok I wish

Anyway its now eating bisciuts on the patio...fancy a brew pal??

also 6 Siskin, Mealy Redpoll, 21 Redpoll and a Pied Wagtail

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 48
  • black ouzel bird2.jpg
    black ouzel bird2.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Jeff thats a real beauty .Really clear feather detail puts my HS10 to shame. What lens is it you are using ?
We haven't seen any woodpeckers in our garden for a couple of months now.

Thanks, Earleybird. The lens is a Tamron 75-300mm. Cost $115. (I wanted the updated DI model that I had before but it's out-of-stock everywhere.) Seems to be okay, even though my yard photos are usually taken in deep shade and through windows.

Not much time for birds this weekend but we had two Pine Siskins among the many American Goldfinch in our yards.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• pinesiskin.JPG
    pinesiskin.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 48
Well there has been some good sightings for the count this weekend.

I did 2 different times of the day to see which time proved to be the best and the 3-4pm Sunday was the best but The Treecreeper did appear 3 times but never when I was counting.

Blackbirds 5
Greenfinch 4
Goldfinch 3
Chaffinch 9
Great Tit 8
Coal Tit 4
Blue Tit 6
Misle Thrush 1
Dunnock 5
Robin 3
GSW Woodpecker Female 1
Nuthatch 1

and Treecreeper (not official)

I am quite pleased with that really.

Some great shots of the Redpolls from everyone.

Canon 40D + 100-400mm

The 40D will be upgraded to a 7D if I can somehow sneak it past the boss over the course of 2011 ;)

you see what i used to do with me fishing rods is, go buy the rod take it fishing, stuff it in the holdall covered in muck an fish slime and just say no dear i've had it for ages when she asked.

maybe you could work on some variation of that theme

you see what i used to do with me fishing rods is, go buy the rod take it fishing, stuff it in the holdall covered in muck an fish slime and just say no dear i've had it for ages when she asked.

maybe you could work on some variation of that theme

How do you think us women do it.o:)

This fella just flew past my window... now if it had been a month later in the year and I hadnt seen it again I would have been convinced it was an Ouzel.... ok I wish

Anyway its now eating bisciuts on the patio...fancy a brew pal??

also 6 Siskin, Mealy Redpoll, 21 Redpoll and a Pied Wagtail

A very distinctive Blackbird!!

Had over 90 Magpies roosting again in the Hawthorn hedge. Several of them were trying to see off the "super-Buzzard". It is the largest Buzzard I've had here.

CB

Male Bullfinch appeared again this morning. Also a couple of Grey Herons in formation flight and heard a GSW drumming.

CB

Nice one with the Grey Herons.:t:

Very interesting Blackbird. I think that would have got my pretty excited too!

did my hour from 9 till 10 this morning.

2 blue tits,
2 robins

4 house sparrows
2 blackbirds.

these were all expected as they just about live in the back garden anyway.

the 30 starlings

18 jackdaws and
4 magpies which appeared in a frantic 10 minute period were a bit of a surprise though.

i've decided that sparrows are endagered because they're a bit thick.

despite being faced with 2 feeding stations supplying bread, various seeds, peanuts and fat,
they mooch round on the ground underneath the feeders picking up the spilled stuff, and sit in the bush by the side of one of the stations, which to be honest is so close they could step off a twig and stand on the tray with seeds on it, they flatly refuse to use any of the feeding stations at all.

woohooooo

we just had our first coal tit :)

Now you have moved in welcome back to the thread CC :t:

over in the UK the DI version seems to retail for around $500:eek!:

That's probably the very new, almost silent one that's come out here for about $350.

Pretty dark here today in preparation for a huge storm that's coming. The low temperature tonight will be 62F/15C. Tomorrow night will be 24F/-4C. Crazy!

Managed to get some (not very sharp) photos of Cedar Waxwings passing berries to each other at the college.

This afternoon went to a nearby house that has hummingbirds in the garden: several Rufous, an Allen and an Anna's. Saw a male Rufous and got a hazy shot of the male Anna's.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Waxwings-1.JPG
    Waxwings-1.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 62
  • Waxwings-2.JPG
    Waxwings-2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Annas.JPG
    Annas.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 59
You caught a nice moment with the second Waxwing image Jeff.

Here a new garden record count of 47 Lesser Redpoll, also Mealy Redpoll and 15 Goldfinch

Wow, having hummers in the garden, what a treat! Well it would be to me, I expect they're the equivalent of our Blue Tits over there?

thanks dave.

and by the way we have a very interesting crow outside work since friday,

it has partially white wings and a white stripe through it's tail

we have a lot of crows round here that have partial loss of colouring in the wing feathers and tail... bit of a long shot but if they're not just a bit leucistic then are they mating with magpies? lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back