• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Great stuff missyb. I like your idea with the drilled holes do you fill them with suet? How does the corn on the cob go down and with which birds. Well done jos with the newbies arriving and Alex with the Fieldfare. Cheers ebird I haven't tried another image yet with the frame but will give it another go to try and win over more admirers. Today here Wren, Mealy Redpoll ond 30+ Lessers. I am looking forward to the garden birdwatch and doing a full count for an hour we are all hoping for our favourites to perform, I am on a mission to get Redpolls up the leader board..... You just watch only a few turn up. Not garden related but today at the cat & fiddle nr Buxton I got stunning close views of 2 raven just above the car

Three Waxwings dead outside the office this morning. Apparently they flew into the window.

What a shame for any birds but not waxwings!

At work a few years ago I found 2 dead pied wagtails side by side outside an office window and if you saw my update last year of the kingfisher that got into the factory and died inside over the weekend.

hope no trees were hurt in making this production :-O

Well not through choice, we had to chop down an Elder tree as it was getting destructive so thought I'd put a bit of it to good use. Hate chopping trees down but sometimes its necessary.

Great stuff missyb. I like your idea with the drilled holes do you fill them with suet? How does the corn on the cob go down and with which birds.

well yesterday i filled them with a mix of breadcrumbs, left over fat from a lamb stew and sultanas. All the birds seem to go mad for the sultanas. ANd the cob is a new thing, we rarely have them but this was left over so no point wasting it! THe birds have only just started eating it now they've figured out what it is :-O

A nice morning in the garden today, a crisp minus 11, the snow of recent days giving way to bright skies - a lot of activity at the assorted feeders, highlights Crested Tits now up to two, the first time this winter a second bird had appeared, plus Yellowhammers amongst the Tree Sparrows, three Fieldfares seeking out remaining berries.

Top of the lot though, a surprise guest amongst the nuthatches - one very distinctive asiatica Nuthatch, a rare bird in this part of the world and most certainly a first for my feeders. Probably was this bird I intially presumed a europaea a couple of days back, oops! Followed a europaea on my forest feeders.

Any pics of the Nuthatches Jos?

CB

Sad news re the Waxwings.|=(|

MissyBud - nice photos and you've got some great birds visiting - lets hope they turn up for GardenWatch for you.:t:

'My' male GSW has started drumming in the mornings now. Let's hope he attracts a mate soon so we have some youngsters like last year. I seem to take more notes on my GSWs then all the other birds put together. Last year a female was first seen on 20th Feb, so there's plenty of time yet.

MissyBud - nice photos and you've got some great birds visiting - lets hope they turn up for GardenWatch for you.:t:

You're telling me, knowing my luck they'll all go shy at the weekend! Although I believe the weather forecast is a cold one so they'll be hungry...I might get lucky :-O

a mass exodus from the feeders and in flew the sparrowhawk number 26 for the garden this year.8 chaffinches around,very nice birds,lokking forward to the garden watch over the weekend.

I lashed out on a bag of hearts (£27) to try to lure back my lost birds. I have Had a few Blue tits and a Goldfinch but still nowhere near the amount of birds I use to get. I have however been getting lots of Starlings on the fatballs which, believe it or not, is a very rare garden bird for me. Snapped this one this afternoon, such beautiful birds.

Attachments

• starling 1.jpg
    starling 1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 49
Pied Wagtail in today, just spotted it before it flew out the garden.

Brambling in again also. 2 weeks today she has been visiting :)

I lashed out on a bag of hearts (£27) to try to lure back my lost birds. I have Had a few Blue tits and a Goldfinch but still nowhere near the amount of birds I use to get. I have however been getting lots of Starlings on the fatballs which, believe it or not, is a very rare garden bird for me. Snapped this one this afternoon, such beautiful birds.

Hi Roy, keep filling those feeders with SFH's and the birds will come back and tell their friends too!

I have however been getting lots of Starlings on the fatballs which, believe it or not, is a very rare garden bird for me. Snapped this one this afternoon, such beautiful birds.

Lovely Starling pic Roy. A favourite garden bird of mine also with a beautiful plumage when viewed up close.:t::t:

i had the privilege of seeing one of our local starlings on the feeders today, they usually fly about the area frequently but I hadn't seen them ever land to feed so a happy morning for moi!

Two regular garden birds I have still not seen this year are Dunnocks and Greenfinch. I only see my garden at the weekends but my regular Dunnocks have been absent since just before Christmas during temperatures of below -10c. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Two regular garden birds I have still not seen this year are Dunnocks and Greenfinch. I only see my garden at the weekends but my regular Dunnocks have been absent since just before Christmas during temperatures of below -10c. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Not noticed it with Dunnocks but certainly have lost a lot of Wrens. Not seen very many at all!!

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back