• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

2011 Garden species No. 32
G S Woodpecker

but well chuffed because its back.....

2011 Garden species No. 33
Mealy Redpoll

I said the other day that I thought it was back, I just needed a better view of it on the feeder rather than an obscured view of it in the tree.

24 Redpoll and 4 Siskin too

Been on nights so off to bed!

A very quiet start to the morning at the feeders but can hear lots of birds nearby. Spent 15 mins watching four crows in a tree and got the impression it was three males arguing over a female - would they be preparing for mating season yet?

A few times saw two birds tumbling towards the ground together. Or one bird would fly off then back in an "attack run" as if to try to scare off one of the others, but in all this activity it looked like one of them was being left alone in the middle of all the activity.

I felt a little sorry for the innocent woodpigeon who got chased out of his favourite tree at the start of the fun and games!

The corvids love blustery conditions and often do this above the house here, really fantastic to watch them stoop, tumble and dive

Nothing new to report, although one of the local grey squirrels came up to individually inspect all the feeders...then he went away without trying to destroy or take food from any! I was chuffed to bits...perhaps I have won the battle...this time :)

The loyal robin (even though I have 4 in the garden I'm sure it's the same one) treated me to a seranade this morning. He usually sits in a bush just outside the conservatory, always comes to inspect me and today is the first time I've heard him sing this year! Just lovely.

Ah something new! First witnessed raptor attack in the garden! RIGHT OUTSIDE the window! It happened so quick I had no idea what had gone on. Something fast swooped on a bird on the wall and straight through the bush. I was so shocked i stopped for a few seconds before heading out into the garden to see if there was any evidence of a kill. Couldn't find any but as I kept wandering down the garden I ended up flushing the attacker and off it went. Again so quickly I couldn't say what it was accurately but I'm pretty sure it was a Sparrowhawk. The way it flew off with wings slightly bent and with such agility. I only saw the back of it which was brown. I am still reeling, first time I've ever witnessed something like that in the garden, I just hope it wasn't successful.

The natural world, so much more dramatic than those irritating soaps!

I wish I was able to take a pic for id but I have had a finch on the feeders which I believe to my amazement to be a female or juv Brambling. On the Sunflower Heart feeder was a load of Greenfinches but this bird had a pale underbelly, with a hint of peachy orange at the top, with lightly speckled and blackish markings, and almost like a black stripe down the crown or back of the head. It was all very faint colors so it wasn't a male of whatever kind of bird it was. I knew it wasn't a Chaffinch by the look of it, plus its behaviour. It was much more bolder. on the feeder I'm waiting to see if it will come back for a positive id but the book picture of female Brambling looks alot like it, I'm just so surprised if it is one. Fingers crossed I get to see it again to know for sure! Does it sound like a Brambling to anyone?

Other news for this morning so far, Greenfinch 10 so far today, Blue Tits 5 and the pair of Great Tits. A single LTT, two days ago a whole flock came in so assume its one from them. 2 Robins, one that was singing at 2am lol, 2 Dunnocks, 2 Chaffinches, 2 Blackbirds 1 Starling.

Not my feeders again, but visited a most impressive feeder on the weekend - the Gilgrin Farm Red Kite feeding site. Sure there are now Red Kites at various points int he UK, but Gilgrin is still absolutely amazing - 500-600 kites coming to the afternoon feed, all swooping together to grab the food, plus 30 or so Buzzards. Truly an most amazing sight - bar the migration sites such as Gibralter, there can e no other place in Europe with such impressive concentrations of raptors in one place. Warmly recommend visiting if you've not been before.

(1st photo from mobile phone to give an idea of just one little bit of sky)

Attachments

• Red Kite wal 2.jpg
    Red Kite wal 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Red Kite wal 1.jpg
    Red Kite wal 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 58
Amazing pics Jos, especially that second one. Absolutly beautifull birds! Must be amazing to be there and see all that too!

Well I have just had it confirmed. The mystery bird did indeed show up again on the feeder, this time facing my side so could get a better look at it and yes, it is definertly a female Brambling! I am so thrilled, as that is a Garden first, and a lifer tick for me! Didn't think any would be in this area, my Dad was so shocked he has never seen one before. Goes to show you never know what just may turn up! :t::t: B :)

Other updates, the group of 5 Woodpidgeons has been in including the juv. Very assertive he is too. Plus 2 Coal tits going on the fat, nuts and seed.

Not my feeders again, but visited a most impressive feeder on the weekend - the Gilgrin Farm Red Kite feeding site. Sure there are now Red Kites at various points int he UK, but Gilgrin is still absolutely amazing - 500-600 kites coming to the afternoon feed, all swooping together to grab the food, plus 30 or so Buzzards. Truly an most amazing sight - bar the migration sites such as Gibralter, there can e no other place in Europe with such impressive concentrations of raptors in one place. Warmly recommend visiting if you've not been before.

(1st photo from mobile phone to give an idea of just one little bit of sky)

wow what an amazing picture ! thanks for the heads-up Jos. I'll have to make that my 2011 Birthday out treat. :t:

Dan sounds like you have a Brambling mate, well done, a very special visitor. *** sorry just read your confirmation....

Jos agreed Gigrin is truly awesome..... I spent a week in the cottage, we sometimes woke up with Red Kites in the garden tree. We used the farm as a base for touring mid Wales during Feb school holidays but I insisted we were always back to see the end when a few Kites and most of the Buzzards were still around. I still go at least once a year for the spectacle... an image attached from last year. The photogarphic opportunities are awesome... if not difficult when they come down in such large numbers, it can be mayhem cant it. Did you stay after most had left to get the buzzards feeding nearer the hides? That is usually a fine thing to witness too at close quarters.

CB did get the Mealy again today just before going to bed mid morning. I will bell you on Sunday if it is around..... Saturday out Im afraid with work and Man City and a beer or two!

Today Mealy Redpoll, 25 Lesser Redpoll, 3 Siskin

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
well Jos and Dave I have you both to thank for my 60th Birthday bash this year. I've just booked Red Kite cottage for a week in August for Kathy and myself! fantastic. Can't wait now . :t:

I wonder if they have broadband there ?

well Jos and Dave I have you both to thank for my 60th Birthday bash this year. I've just booked Red Kite cottage for a week in August for Kathy and myself! fantastic. Can't wait now . :t:

Super, a wonderful area. This thread details my day there last weekend.

If you've not been there before, this is the sort of landscapes you can look forward to - again taken on the mobile, so a little naffy.

Attachments

• Elan Valley wales.jpg
    Elan Valley wales.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant photo of a Red Kite, Dave!

Nipped home at lunchtime to find the yards in chaos. Dozens of American Goldfinch, of course, plus: House Finches, Carolina Chickadees, White-winged Doves, Northern Mockingbird, House Sparrow, Northern Cardinals, Blue Jay, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Red-bellied Woodpecker. (You really appreciate the latter when it's 2 feet away from you on a feeder, even if there's glass between you.)

The only downside to all the action is that the birds are getting through seed at an alarming rate: over half a pound of niger and a pound of sunflower seeds in a day.

Off to spend the weekend on Galveston. With any luck, there should be lots of different birds from the ones in our area: shorebirds, wading birds, gulls and terns. May even see some Sandhill Cranes.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Another tick late last night - Tawny Owl calling!!

Today - Busy again with fem Reed Bunting (the other recent records have all been males), Jay, Grey Heron and not forgetting a reappearance by the Green Woodie.

CB

I wonder if they have broadband there ?

Youll have a wonderful time :t: dont think they do Broadband.... youll have plenty to do without it.

The Buzzards are very local to the site, early morning you will get alot on the farm. The Kites start to come in around lunch time, look very high up in the sky and you will see 100s circling way above the valley.

You will get a few Kites hanging around the farm upto dusk and you will get a few arriving shortly after dawn.

As you are a resident for the week you ge the hides free for the rest of the week after paying for the first visit.... even better once everyone has gone you can go into the high photographic hides for free aswell these give you an eye level (ish) view of the circling birds.

As Jos states the scenery in the area is lovely, and make sure you visit the Elan Valley. Perigrins on the right hand side as you hit the crags. Not much on the reservoirs though.

I have just talked myself into a day out at Gigrin very soon

Last edited:
My birds are going crazy, all the ground feeders are going in the tray on the feeding station. Chaffinches, sparrows, starlings, the robin, and even the goldfinches take their turn but noteably, 2 of our 3 collared doves have taken to sitting in it together. There isn't much room for them to eat!!! The blackbirds also go in and see everything off. Even the rook will go in it, but is very quick and uncomfortable.

One of our doves has an injury. It looks as if it has been caught by the scruff of the neck and round one eye. It happened a couple of days ago and seems to be improving a little today. What would go for a dove?:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back