• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

22 blackbirds this morning including one who doesn't move anymore when i go out to fill the feeders i can walk to within a couple of feet now and he just sits there, hope he keeps it up.
6 chaffinch
3 robins including white robin
starlings
3 blue tits
2 dunnocks
2 thrush
6 goldies
1 greenfinch which the numbers are really down on this winter.

22 blackbirds this morning including one who doesn't move anymore when i go out to fill the feeders i can walk to within a couple of feet now and he just sits there, hope he keeps it up.
6 chaffinch
3 robins including white robin
starlings
3 blue tits
2 dunnocks
2 thrush
6 goldies
1 greenfinch which the numbers are really down on this winter.

Glad your White Robin is still around... super count of Blackbirds too

Pied waggy is back, all the usual plus three or more long tailed tits! They didn't stay long but they had a good look around and pecked at everything.

Best garden birding morning so far in a long time...

In addition to our new "regulars" in the hard weather (fieldfare, redwing, song thrush, pied wagtail), this morning we have had brief visits from a female brambling, male reed bunting and male blackcap.

Long tailed tit flock have just arrived on the fatballs as I type this!

We desperately need a break in the weather! 49 blackbird first thing this am! I reckon more birds flying over are seeing them, and stopping off and staying!
Have got through 20kg of suet pellets alone so far, so hope the snow which is forecast for this week doesn't stop delivery of another bag.

Over here in the South East Greenfinch still in high numbers, getting through the Sunflower seeds and Sunflower mix which I have brought for a change. Chaffinch still around the 6 count, feeding on the ground and going on the feeders when they get a chance from the Greenies.

Female Blackbird still dominant and keeping the male at bay. Also appearences from the perch feeding Robin, Dunnocks, Coal Tits, Blue & Great Tits, Collard Doves, loads of fiesty Woodpidgeons, Magpie and Jays.

Am full of cold at the moment so have been watching the birds little and often. Things are calming down a bit now as the sun is beginning to go down. At least the days are starting to get longer now.

It's very cold here in Cheshire and I have still got no running water. But hey ho the garden has been busy. Goldfinch,Blackbird,Starlings, Long-tailed and Blue Tits plus a Robin copying the Tits and hanging off the feeders to eat. It's been a lovely day off work just watching my garden.:t::t: A click here to see my little film made a few days ago: http://rambleswithacamera.blogspot.com/2010/12/winter-walk.html

Last edited:
3 Robins who seem very tolerant of each other, 6 Blackbirds, 2 Dunnocks, Great Tit, 2 Blue Tits, 4 Collared Doves, 3 Wood Pigeons, 2 Mistle Thrushes, Gray Wagtail and a Pied Wagtail. But what really made my day was a Red Wing very briefly visited - land on a bush at the back of the garden took a swift look round and then took off again. First I've ever seen. Finally between 25 and 30 Starlings, of which 8 of them decided to take a dip in the bird bath all at the same time - was fun to watch.

3 Robins who seem very tolerant of each other, 6 Blackbirds, 2 Dunnocks, Great Tit, 2 Blue Tits, 4 Collared Doves, 3 Wood Pigeons, 2 Mistle Thrushes, Gray Wagtail and a Pied Wagtail. But what really made my day was a Red Wing very briefly visited - land on a bush at the back of the garden took a swift look round and then took off again. First I've ever seen. Finally between 25 and 30 Starlings, of which 8 of them decided to take a dip in the bird bath all at the same time - was fun to watch.

Welcome to THE garden thread :t:

Great news for you with the Redwing.... so now throw some apples onto your lawn to entice them to stay a while

Dave

I put out some unsoaked currants today - I had put soaked ones out the other day but they froze very quickly. They were really omnommed up by blackbirds, starlings and the song thrush (I think it is a song thrush anyway, I was looking for the rosy patches on the wings that might mean it's a redwing but I couldn't see any). Pied wagtail is staying around a lot now, he or she was actually standing around by the food warming alternate toes.

Thanks for your welcome Bfb. Apples were out within a few minutes of seeing him/her - didn't entice him/her back tho, unfortunately.

Dave

Not quite garden, but we went for a walk this morning from Totteridge, North London, to Woodside Park and back home via the Cricket Club. Near Woodside Park we saw a Little Egret, not seen one before in this area. Anybody else seen any near their garden in this part of the world?

I understand Little Egrets are fairly regular in some areas of London. Still a good spot!

CB

We desperately need a break in the weather! 49 blackbird first thing this am! I reckon more birds flying over are seeing them, and stopping off and staying!
Have got through 20kg of suet pellets alone so far, so hope the snow which is forecast for this week doesn't stop delivery of another bag.

Wow!! 49 Blackbirds is a very good count.

CB

It's very cold here in Cheshire and I have still got no running water. But hey ho the garden has been busy. Goldfinch,Blackbird,Starlings, Long-tailed and Blue Tits plus a Robin copying the Tits and hanging off the feeders to eat. It's been a lovely day off work just watching my garden.:t::t: A click here to see my little film made a few days ago: http://rambleswithacamera.blogspot.com/2010/12/winter-walk.html

Hope you get your water on again soon. Thankfully a thaw is due in the next few days.

CB

Welcome to the thread Mr.H.

CB

New Bird Alert​

This morning we had a Red Legged Partridge walking around the garden.
Hope to spend some quality garden bird watching tomorrow,having cleaned out and refilled all bird feeders again today.

Yesterday morning had the flock of LTTits return and start feeding on the bread thrown on the ground. Then later at my parents at couple of Fieldfares flew over.

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back