• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Chris (BFB) Congratulations on your 50 garden count. I just wondered what the "rules" were. For example can you include overflying birds such as swifts and canada geese which never land within the garden? If so can you count any birds seen from your house?

RICHAT - Interesting point you have raised there with respect to the rules.
My garden bird count is 26 which "ONLY" includes birds that have fed from the feeders or have landed in the garden.

The birds listed are regular visitors in which the addition of new birds visiting appears to be slowing up.I guess there is just so many birds that you can attract.
The current garden bird list is 26 which I' m very pleased with but not sure how much higher this will go.

Based on those strict criteria of birds landing within garden confines I'm up to 37 or 38, the doubt being over late Summer willow warbler/chiffchaff sightings. The rarest sightings have been LS woodpecker, reed bunting and pheasant. Mind you that's over 20 years. I'm not counting a troupe of peacocks. obvious excapees some 10 years ago.

Sorry but i have to make this post as i really think Karpmans dog is the spit of Grommit.:t::t:

Attachments

• lurching.jpg
    lurching.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 103
  • wallacepic.jpg
    wallacepic.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 33
First Redpoll of the Winter

At last a male redpoll has made an appearance in the garden.

Garden list should have been 38/39 - I'd forgotten the wonderful feral pigeon!

Last edited:
First Siskin arrived today since last winter,just the one at the moment.
Plenty of Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit,Great Tit and Sparrows as usual.

Attachments

• Siskin.jpg
    Siskin.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 82
I managed quite a bit of garden watching today and all the usual suspects showed their faces on a day where the frost didn't lift at all:

Magpie, Blackbird, Starling, GSW, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Robin, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Feral Pigeon and Woodpigeon.

Wow love how ya gardens are coming on!

No Redpoll or siskin here unfortunately, I did have a female brambling on me feeders were I walk the hound which is good for this area!B :)

Plenty of sparrows keeping me entertained, Oh how i love them.

Karpman

Attachments

• DSC_6488.jpg
    DSC_6488.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 48
Yesterday I managed some daylight hours watching the garden for the first time in ages. The snow had melted so the thrushes were enjoying the apples for the first time in a couple of weeks, blackbirds hovering around the 10 mark, with 5 or 6 each of Fieldfares and Redwings around, and just the one Song Thrush. Hopefully more will appear soon. Lots of finches in and around the garden too, about 15 Chaffinches with a few Goldfinches, Bullfinches and Greenfinches (don't see many of those here anymore). Also a single Starling which we very rarely get in the garden. But top of them all, and a long-awaited garden tick, was a Brambling - first one yesterday morning, then 4 in the afternoon. This morning 7 turned up, and 10 together this afternoon with quite possibly more flitting around elsewhere. Hope they hang about as they're really very pretty. No offence to the Chaffinches but there's no contest. The GSWs are daily again, male and female, plenty of assorted tits around plus the other usuals, just waiting for the Siskins and Blackcaps now......

Well, Sunday produced the usual House Sparrow (both M & F), Black Beaked Black Birds (are these juveniles?), Blue Tits (2), a Wood Pigeon, A Goldfinch(two, but the other was in next doors garden), a Green Finch, and a Coal Tit.

Oh, and a Robin, who was chasing a similar sized brown coloured bird, so presumably a Cock Robin (off my land!).

Oh, and a Robin, who was chasing a similar sized brown coloured bird, so presumably a Cock Robin (off my land!).[/QUOTE]

Seacroftbirder, I have a robin that chases a dunnock all over the place so maybe that is what the brown bird is.:-O

Last edited:
I've just had a quick catch up, some brilliant photos and goings on in everyone's gardens!

Christmas and work is taking over at the moment so I only managed a little garden watching this weekend! Plenty of activity though and the Chaffinch are still around, which i'm pleased about.

Birds over the weekend

Collared Doves
Dunnocks
Robin
Blackbirds
H Sparrows
Blue Tits
Coal Tits
Great Tits
Chaffinch
Goldfinch - up to 16
Starlings
Overhead Herring & BH Gulls
Crows & Magpies in the trees

And great photo too. Ah the stuff of dreams. You'll be showing us wrynecks next Jos.

Chris (BFB) Congratulations on your 50 garden count. I just wondered what the "rules" were. For example can you include overflying birds such as swifts and canada geese which never land within the garden? If so can you count any birds seen from your house?

The snow has all but melted and it looks as if I've peaked early here as bird numbers are well down other than goldfinches and collared doves.

My own rules include any birds that I see flying over the house or garden.... I have had 39 actualy landing in the garden or its trees, with 11 flyovers. But its what ever takes your fancy I think. I dont submit records to anyone other than our fellow contributors on this thread.... although I am policed on here, otherwise I would have counted the Racing Pigeon :-O

ps, Its rather busy on this thread at the moment with some fine birds such as Bramblings, Siskins etc showing for UK people.... Hawfinch in the east of the continent and I agree with CB that the Yellow Rumped warbler is a fine looking species over in Jeffs yard

great stuff folks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back