• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Good weekend in the garden

Noticeably more birds in the garden this weekend (rural East Staffs). Highlights in addition to the "regulars" were:

- GS Woodpecker (m & f on the peanut feeder)
- Female bullfinch (a rarity)
- over a dozen Tree Sparrows (loving the brown millet)
- female Sparrowhawk (left empty handed, but not too popular with our 3 bantams who didn't move a feather for about the next 5 mins!)
- a small flock of Siskin briefly on the alder trees just over on the Washlands

Still no Waxwings yet on the hawthorn or cotoneaster - we live in hope!

Until today, it's been nothing but downy wood peckers, chickadees and red breasted nuthatches since everybody went South a month ago, but today had a female american goldfinch. No big deal, but nice to see a new face every now and then.

Some Nice Picture Posted These Last Few Days.

We Are Still Having Our Regulars, Goldfinch, Greenfinch And Chaffinches, Coal Great And Blue Tits And Finally Some Long Tailed Tits Did A Brief Visit. Nuthatch Still Busy Feeding. Also Dunnocks And Sparrows. We Have Had A Few Misle Thrushes On The Rowans This Weekend. We Also Had A Visit From The Sparrowhawk Which Missed A Sparrow Having A Bath, Then There Were 2 Of Them Playing Around In The Sky Above Us.

More & more visiting my garden as the cold of autumn sets in. The usual 15 house sparrows, 1 blue tit, 1 robin and a first... a Wren! It didnt go near the feeder but was hopping around in the shrubs behind, such a lovely little bird and a real bonus!

Dark clouds over

and its not just the weather :eek!:

A huge flock of Starlings (I wouldnt like to estimate Nos ... but easily 1000+ ok so I estimated) just looked like a dark cloud, have just gone past the garden just above roof top level at great speed :t:

Last edited:
A walk at lunchtime to escape the office yielded 8 Pied Wagtail, 3 House Sparrows, numerous BH Gulls and...35 Waxwings. I might even drag myself back to work tomorrow:t:

Yellow-rumped thornbills are just coming back for the spring/summer, it's always good to have them back, gotta try for some decent photos.

Thanks for that.:t::t: and to really top off my day Liverpool beat Chelsea.:-O:-O:-O :t:

I had to sit down after seeing that result flash up on the TV!!

Noticeably more birds in the garden this weekend (rural East Staffs). Highlights in addition to the "regulars" were:

- GS Woodpecker (m & f on the peanut feeder)
- Female bullfinch (a rarity)
- over a dozen Tree Sparrows (loving the brown millet)
- female Sparrowhawk (left empty handed, but not too popular with our 3 bantams who didn't move a feather for about the next 5 mins!)
- a small flock of Siskin briefly on the alder trees just over on the Washlands

Still no Waxwings yet on the hawthorn or cotoneaster - we live in hope!

Welcome to the thread LaylandD!!!

CB

Until today, it's been nothing but downy wood peckers, chickadees and red breasted nuthatches since everybody went South a month ago, but today had a female american goldfinch. No big deal, but nice to see a new face every now and then.

They may all have left you but they haven't reached my yards yet. So far only a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker has arrived. Shouldn't be long, though.

Can't really complain because a lot of winter residents have been turning up on the college campus where I work.

Jeff

Good day at the office. Apart from the usual goldies, chaffinches, greenfinches, collared doves, blue tits, great tit and magpies (love them or hate them), we had a flock of l/t tits hanging from the peanut basket like poorly thrown darts. This afternoon saw a pair of squabbling r/n parakeets in our tree. They weren't squabbling when they found the nut feeder! They subsequently moved onto a neighbouring rowan tree to continue their smorgasbord. That rowan tree is weighed down with berries and is just screaming for waxwings. Where are they?

Last edited:
As my Father is in hospital I have not posted anything as I spend most of my day travelling. I did go to the Wrexham area to stay with my sister and I noticed that where she lives on an estate, where people have planted trees with berries I was amazed to see Thrushes in flocks going mad with the berries, very difficult to use binoc's or a long lens camera in amongst a few houses. The birds are right on the door step but in the country where I live I have to walk for miles or stand in the cold for hours waiting for an opportunatly to get a good photo.
My sister has a bird bath where I have seen a Wren have a bath or shower would be perfect for a photo, sadly I left my camera at home, that's life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back