• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

Thanks CC, I never knew that and its very interesting. I have to give my hens grit and sometimes I see them eating the snail shells the Thrushes leave behind but I have never thought of offering grit to the wild birds.

Cc What Brilliant Pics Of The Bearded Tits, Were These Taken On The Long Path And The Trays Are On The Right Hand Side Of The Path That They Fill With The Grit For Them? We Were Told That Was A Good Place To See Them At This Time Of Year But Not Been Able To Get Back Again Yet. :-C

Rewcastle - Loved The Video

This Weekend Got A Great View Of The Woodpecker It Stayed For Ages. We Have Had Coal Tits, Great Tits And Blut Tits But Still No Long Tailed Yet, Also Goldfinch, Greenfinch And Chaffinches And Dunnocks And House Sparrows. Not Seen The Nuthatches Though. Had Thrushes And Balckbirds Galore In The Rowan Trees.

Cc What Brilliant Pics Of The Bearded Tits, Were These Taken On The Long Path And The Trays Are On The Right Hand Side Of The Path That They Fill With The Grit For Them? We Were Told That Was A Good Place To See Them At This Time Of Year But Not Been Able To Get Back Again Yet. :-C

yes exactly there

Hey guys,

Nice to have a little catch up there! Just started feeding regular after adding a puppy to the ever expanding family.

The birds are coming pretty regular again but the puppy don'y let the blackbirds feed much when he is out but the sparrows and starlings are ravenous as ever..

Had a garden first Saturday a flock Long-tailed tits came through and bought a Goldcrest with them superb indeed.

Cheers
karpman

Had a garden first Saturday a flock Long-tailed tits came through and bought a Goldcrest with them superb indeed.

Good stuff. Goldcrests are fantastic little birds.

Had my first Lesser Redpoll of the season, lurking in a bush at the back of the garden. S/He has found the new location for the nijer seeds after the debris trashed the lawn last winter.

I believe that, under anti-terrorism laws, police can ask to see your digital photos. However, they have no right to delete or alter any of these.

Jeff

Sounds like fun in the UK at present! No new birds in our yards yet but lots have arrived at the college and in nearby parks etc., so I'm watching out for when they reach our house.

Spent the weekend on the coast and added several species to my US year list, now up to 264. Even got two new lifers (Groove-billed Ani and Monk Parakeet) to lift my US life list to 448. At this rate, it will take me 10 years or more to reach 500 species. I doubt that I or my eyes will last that long!

Talking of problems, my (less-than-a-year-old) Sony A230 has stopped producing clear images. I think it must be a focusing issue. It isn't the lens because the problem persists with two different lenses. Hope it isn't going to cost a fortune to fix. If you look at today's photos (of an Osprey) on my blog, I'm sure you'll see the problem.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Jeff, I do see the problem, what a shame, I hope you can get it sorted out, still great shots of the Osprey :t:

It's been pretty quiet in the garden, from what i've seen of it, Robin, Coal & Blue Tits, Goldfinch, Blackbird, Starlings, Sparrows and Collared Doves over the past couple of days.

Photography in a public place... nightmare!

I believe that, under anti-terrorism laws, police can ask to see your digital photos....
Jeff

Photography in a public place... nightmare!

The law, the interpretation of the law and the application of the law are different things... know your rights! Not that it will make any difference even if you do. George Orwell was right all along as was Kafka. ('The Trial' .... it tells the story of a man arrested and prosecuted by a remote, inaccessible authority, with the nature of his crime never revealed either to him or the reader. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trial)

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-and-the-law.html

Interesting video on here
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...9526/photojournalist-detained-army-cadet-pics

"you might get in hot water if you're strapping on colossal telephoto lens and zooming in on folks stripping off in their bathrooms - even if you are snapping from a public place."

"Be also mindful that if you're taking pictures in areas where dodgy folks, drug dealers and ne'er do wells may be in view, they're unlikely to be pleased with the attention and probably won't be bothered about the niceties of the law in their response."

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-street-shooting.html

see
http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/

AND remember countries other than the UK(?*) may have far stricter laws!
(?*) = Be aware UK, ... English Law may not apply in other parts of the UK.

Keep to birding and you should be OK!

Unless of course anyone knows otherwise...

(wrong thread?)

Wren just popped onto the patio :t:. Nuthatches busy as are the Coal tits, other usual suspects on the feeders... Great, Blue tits, Gold Greenfinch etc

Just seen my first Brambling of the year, at Macc Forest along with other good stuff, 2 Goldcrest and many Siskins in a mixed flock with Goldfinch, Plus a huuuuge skien of Pink Foot geese, Redwings and a single Fieldfare

Last edited:
Now that the winter migrants are starting to arrive, I wonder what the chance is of redwing/fieldfare returning to the same garden as last winter, assuming they have survived so far? Would they remember a food source they visited for the first time a year ago? It'll be interesting to see, that's also assuming the weather isn't as bad as last year!!!

We have had a Nuthatch and a pair of Wagtails recently.....not the best photos although the peanuts have come out well:-O

Attachments

• Grey Wagtail.JPG
    Grey Wagtail.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 59
We have had a Nuthatch and a pair of Wagtails recently.....not the best photos although the peanuts have come out well:-O

I'd like to see a 'bad' photo! Good captures there of a pair of excellent garden birds.

Good effort Dave with the Wren and various 'winter' birds.

The Song Thrush was back on the peanut cake this morning after his summer disappearing act. Talking of the peanut cake, did anyone make any after I posted the recipe up? Any success with it?

Now that the winter migrants are starting to arrive, I wonder what the chance is of redwing/fieldfare returning to the same garden as last winter, assuming they have survived so far? Would they remember a food source they visited for the first time a year ago? It'll be interesting to see, that's also assuming the weather isn't as bad as last year!!!

I reckon so mary, but as you say the weather is abit dependant on them regularly visiting or just passing over..... bongo has his Songthrush back already

I am hoping for the Redpolls again, they arrived last week of Nov 2009 and stayed until mid April 2010..... heres hoping eh

Last edited:
Lovely photos David, GSW on the bottom of the bird table this morning. Yesterday I put some peanuts into a plastic jar and chopped them up with the electric chopper, then sprinkled the bits all over the table on top, inside and on the base and that's where the woodpecker was eating the nuts. A plan that actually worked for a change. Me too BFB I search every morning for a Redpoll but every year they come late Spring, when nothings left in the wild.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back