• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Lots of nuthatch visits this morning. One has an amusing way of hanging from the fat ball feeder and leaning across to grab sunflower hearts from a nearby feeder. Also had a visit from a robin this morning, which was a nice way to start the day.

We moved a tray feeder on a pole nearer to the front room window on Saturday, now we get to see birds (especially blue tits) feeding about half a metre outside the window. Great when a nuthatch lands there!

congratulations to everyone for hitting 5000+ posts, moray started this off and it has grown to what it is now.

This IS one of the most used threads on BF and goes to show that Garden Bird watching can be just as much fun (and in the severe winters, life saving).... as putting in the hours on your local patch.

Lots of new contributors replacing those that dont post as much or even at all, but everyone has had some input over the years so well done

Dave

Last edited:
congratulations to everyone for hitting 5000+ posts.
Lots of new contributors replacing those that dont post as much or even at all, but everyone has had some input over the years so well done.

Dave

:clap: I agree with Dave and would also like to add it's probably the most friendly Thread because we are all just enjoying our own garden birds and sharing each others sightings without being competitive (unless you have more feeders than me lol). Long may it continue:t:B :)

Not much interesting to report from Texas, I'm afraid. Still lots of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, having to share the feeders with hornets and Hose Finches. Carolina Chickadees are very busy. Northern Cardinals are reappearing in numbers - I think they feel their plumage has recovered from moulting enough that they no longer have to hide from view. White-winged Doves and Blue Jays, as always, and Downy Woodpeckers. A couple of House Sparrows turned up - they nest in the streetlights in front of our house - but, as usual, they didn't stay. Two Eurasian Collared Doves popped in again, only to be quickly moved on by the White-wingeds.

Quiet at the college, too, cos of all the construction there. Did see a Green Heron, a Snowy Egret and a Black-bellied Whistling Duck this morning, though. A couple of Loggerhead Shrikes also.

Off to Denver on a work-related trip for the weekend and Monday. Will fit in a day's outing in the Rocky Mountain National Park. (Sorry, CC!) It'll be wonderful to escape our pancake-flat landscape - and I should get to see a few different birds, too.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

First post on this thread, just realised this is the one (of the many) that BananaFishBones contributes to! Just had a large mixed tit flock through my garden, blue, great, coal and long tailed - first of many this autumn I hope. Still plenty of sparrows. Dave is right a miserable morning here in Cheshire. 'My' sparrowhawk will be having a field day.

Phil

Welcome to the dark side Phil :storm:

Well said Bfb!!!

congratulations to everyone for hitting 5000+ posts, moray started this off and it has grown to what it is now.

This IS one of the most used threads on BF and goes to show that Garden Bird watching can be just as much fun (and in the severe winters, life saving).... as putting in the hours on your local patch.

Lots of new contributors replacing those that dont post as much or even at all, but everyone has had some input over the years so well done

Dave

Round of applause for us all!!! :clap::clap:

Drinks are on SPINNEYGAL as the 5000th poster!! ;)

CB

Dave

:t:

Congratz all! Bit busy at the minute with me boy who don't like sleeping much lol

Garden has really picked up again with Long tailed tits and coal tits everyday visitors at the moment.

Will be popping in and out and around about for a little while and have a week off work next week doing nowt so will be about thenB :)

All the best:)

Karpman

Off to Denver on a work-related trip for the weekend and Monday. Will fit in a day's outing in the Rocky Mountain National Park. (Sorry, CC!) It'll be wonderful to escape our pancake-flat landscape - and I should get to see a few different birds, too.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

well jeff i really do hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

plus we will get to see a few different birds when you post your pics :t:

meh 5000 posts aint so much, on an angling site i've just left i had 13000 myself, one of my mates who has also left it had over 30k

Last edited:
Still having regular visits from Coal Tits, Blue Tits, Great Tits,Chaffinches, Greenfinches and Goldfinches. Robins hit and miss still no Longtailed Tits returned yet. Blackbirds and Thrushes back because we have lots of Rowan Trees around us. Now the Jackdaws are taking the berries as well as Crows.

Nuthatches still regular.

We are getting more Dunnocks again and the House Sparrows.

Had a vist from a Squirrel this morning first time in ages.

5000 posts :clap:

Just a quick update from me - week off but stuck upstairs sorting what seems like 100 boxes from the loft!

Anyway, had a Chaffinch this morning, second this month, a Magpie has been in and out of the garden cleaning up around the feeder. 2 Collard Doves, Woodpigeon, House Sparrows, 3 Blue Tits, 2 Coal Tits, Robin, Great Tit, around 12 Goldfinch and Starlings.

I haven't been on this site for too long and I noticed that it is possible to have a nice photo with a bird or birds on feeders. On many other sites they frown that the bird isn't on a natural perch. Also its nice to read about other people's garden and feeders and who has what. Its nice to read 'have you tried this or that' to encourage different birds. This morning I went into the garden and took the fat ball out of its green net and put it in a correct type of feeders. Wilkinson sell buckets of fat balls and they are all in green net. I agree with all, this is a good thread and may it continue to be so. So, congrat's for reaching 5000 and also for all the folks who have thousands of hits on them if you see what I mean. A moderator I just clicked on now has 47 thousands, that is just brill, congrat's Ian, that is a fantastic contribution.

ok, got very distracted by all the bird noise in the garden and looked to see birds swooping in and out from all sides including a young Greenfinch. Then I looked over to see this bird in the neighbours trees, it flew around a while and I'm pleased to say officially made it into my garden too - just! I manged to balance over the damn boxes and take a few photos through (a dirtier than I thought) window.

A Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler - I should know! Whichever it is it's a garden first and i'm pretty excited by it! After looking at some more pictures I'm going with Willow Warbler?

Attachments

• P1050637.jpg
    P1050637.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1050641.jpg
    P1050641.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P1050661.jpg
    P1050661.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Do Willow Warblers And Chiff Chaff Have Different Coloured Legs?

I Thought They Had. I May Be Wrong But Chiff Chaff Grey? Legs And Willow Warbler Orange.

Do Willow Warblers And Chiff Chaff Have Different Coloured Legs?

I Thought They Had. I May Be Wrong But Chiff Chaff Grey? Legs And Willow Warbler Orange.

Yes, as a rule Chiffchaff has darker (black legs), but not quite 100% safe as an ID tool, however around the 99% mark should be good enough to call on a garden record for or against Chiffchaff.

Great stuff Pam..... have a wine this evening in its honour B :)

Yes I thought that Willow Warblers have lighter coloured legs than Chiffchaff do, does this mean that everyone agrees on WW or should I post in the id bit just to be sure?

Dave i'm going for a can of coke and a Wispa to celebrate, that will have to do for now! :t:

Pam my vote is for Chiffchaff, certainly on its expression and slightly rounded head, WW seem to have a more subtle expression.

But you know some of my IDs can be at best ropey...lol

Dave

That Is How I Came To Join This Forum. Wanted A Bird I Had Taken A Pic Of In Turkey Identifying And Bird Forum Came Up And Id'd It For Me Then I Found This Thread.

Voila Here I Am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back