• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

Feral pigeons are eating the seed put down for the Housesparrows so a rethink is needed on how to safely feed the Housesparrow residents.

Dave

Perhaps place a wire cage/mesh around where you place the seed, something that will keep the pigeons out but allow the sparrows in?

Perhaps place a wire cage/mesh around where you place the seed, something that will keep the pigeons out but allow the sparrows in?

I may have to go that way Azzy, but was hoping not to as my Log end (Tree stump) feeder is far more pleasing to the eye.

Just got a Wren in the garden.... first for 3 months :t:

Last edited:
Cheers Bongo.... never noticed until you just said... we are a bit short of them locally when I have been out and about, so good to have one pop in here.

Still in the garden BTW

Very busy half an hour or so in the garden this morning before work. Dunnocks, Robins, House Sparrows, Blue Tits, Starlings, Collared Dove, Goldfinch, Woodpigeons, Blackbirds in and out non stop.Then as we left the house a Heron was flying overhead (and I saw a Song Thrush on the way to work). :t:

Still 4 juv and 2 adult GSWs visiting. They either have very good body clocks or sit waiting on the peanut cake feeder being topped up. Once I've filled it up after getting home from work, they are at the feeder before I've got back in the house! They also seem to becoming quite nonchalant with cats, which is a bit worrying.

Goldfinches and Greenfinches galore and a sudden influx of Blue Tits on the sunflower hearts i have put out plus a Robin i havn't had for a few weeks. Woods and Collared eating the scraps below plus a Woodmouse family i have had for about four years now.

finally my long-tailed tits are back :t:
Managed to get one shot in 15 in focus grrrr.

Heres a picture of the new suet block holder with the flip lid. £9.99 from B&Q . Expensive but at least its impossible for the suet block to fall out unlike the 2x piece hinged wire mesh jobby which is pants to be honest.

Attachments

• longtailed returns.jpg
    longtailed returns.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45
  • tits.jpg
    tits.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
finally my long-tailed tits are back :t:
Managed to get one shot in 15 in focus grrrr.

Heres a picture of the new suet block holder with the flip lid. £9.99 from B&Q . Expensive but at least its impossible for the suet block to fall out unlike the 2x piece hinged wire mesh jobby which is pants to be honest.

Superb a fave bird of mine!

cheers
karpman

Suet starlings stripping me in seconds lol:t:

Superb a fave bird of mine!

cheers
karpman

they are gorgeous arn't they. I followed a family of 7x up and down my drive last month as they darted about,singing their heads off 2 foot above my head. I managed some superb pictures :t:

our starlings are like yours... bloomin hooligans

Had a brief visit today from a lesser goldfinch, my first. He was a good bit north of his supposed northern limit. Also a good herd of black capped chickadees and a couple of red breasted nuthatches who seem always to travel with this group. First time they've been by in a couple of weeks.

Still 4 juv and 2 adult GSWs visiting. They either have very good body clocks or sit waiting on the peanut cake feeder being topped up. Once I've filled it up after getting home from work, they are at the feeder before I've got back in the house! They also seem to becoming quite nonchalant with cats, which is a bit worrying.

Incredible numbers of GSW.... :t:
Jammy so and so ;)

One of the things I love about where we live, is occasionaly waking up to the sound of one of the resident grey shrike-thrushes, we have approx. 3 in the area (I only know that because one found a grub in our broccoli one day and the next moment the other two swooped down to try and steal it, haha) and every now and then they stop by our backyard, calling and foraging. And they have such a beautiful call. I tried to record the one this morning, but when I got back with the camera and hit record, it had moved further down the street :p Here's a recording of some of their calls anyway :p The one around here has a slightly different sound and there's a few more variations, but you get the idea :p http://garden.canberrabirds.org.au/sounds/sittellasetc/greyShrikethrush.mp3 And actually, now that I think of it, there's a short recording of one of the calls I took nearby on the Opus page.

One of the things I love about where we live, is occasionaly waking up to the sound of one of the resident grey shrike-thrushes, we have approx. 3 in the area (I only know that because one found a grub in our broccoli one day and the next moment the other two swooped down to try and steal it, haha) and every now and then they stop by our backyard, calling and foraging. And they have such a beautiful call. I tried to record the one this morning, but when I got back with the camera and hit record, it had moved further down the street :p Here's a recording of some of their calls anyway :p The one around here has a slightly different sound and there's a few more variations, but you get the idea :p http://garden.canberrabirds.org.au/sounds/sittellasetc/greyShrikethrush.mp3 And actually, now that I think of it, there's a short recording of one of the calls I took nearby on the Opus page.

Rather pleasant Azzy.... its just saved itself to my i-tunes ;)

Azzy, will have to listen at home, we don't have sound on the pcs at work!

Another busy day here - due to the rain I think - Woodpigeons, Collared Doves, Sparrows, Dunnocks, Robins, Blue Tits and quite a few Goldfinch this morning, the numbers seem to be increasing again now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back