• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

where is the best place to get suet blocks and the cheapest

i get mine at home and bargain 3 blocks for £1.69

I have come in on this thread very late ,but we cannot get suet or fat balls here.
So what we do is get large pine cones spread peanut butter into all the crevices then roll the cone in quaker oats.
The birds absolutely love it.

Had a great day! A tri of Brown Thrasher have made refuge in the backyard and have been hopping around all evening. Also had some new cardinals and a hummingbird stop by for a rest. Here’s some pics!

You're really lucky to get Brown Thrashers. Great birds - and ones I've never yet seen in our yards!

We've got lots of Cardinals, too. As it happens, I just posted about Cardinals on my blog.

Which state do you live in?

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Bird Lovers Niger Seed Feeder Range
Ref: BLIE001
Attractive, affordable, easy-care tube niger feeders with special ports to suit fine niger seed. Constructed in durable polymer with UV hardened tubes.

Not sure how it is with UK birds but birds in the USA don't seem to like brightly-colored feeders. In California I tried yellow, blue and red ones; the birds wouldn't come near any of them. And this was when feeders a few feet away were attracting 50+ birds!

Jeff

Bird Lovers Niger Seed Feeder Range
Ref: BLIE001

Attractive, affordable, easy-care tube niger feeders with special ports to suit fine niger seed. Constructed in durable polymer with UV hardened tubes.

Not suitable for gardens with squirrels.

Available in Aqua Blue and Forest Green (not shown).

Giant - 540mm tube length, 6 ports, holds approx. 0.9kg food.
Large - 360mm tube length, 4 ports, holds approx. 0.6kg food.
Standard - 180mm tube length, 2 ports, holds approx. 0.3kg food.

Giant Bird Lovers Niger Feeder (Forest Green) £9.95

Giant Bird Lovers Niger Feeder (Sun Yellow) £9.95

Large Bird Lovers Niger Feeder (Forest Green) £7.95

Large Bird Lovers Niger Feeder (Sun Yellow) £7.95

Bird Lovers Niger Feeder (Forest Green) £5.95

Bird Lovers Niger Feeder (Sun Yellow) £5.95

http://www.arkwildlife.co.uk/acatalog/Bird_Food_Niger_Feeders_75.html

wow ta very muchley David thats brilliant. Probably going to be helpful to others too.
:t:

Not sure how it is with UK birds but birds in the USA don't seem to like brightly-colored feeders. In California I tried yellow, blue and red ones; the birds wouldn't come near any of them. And this was when feeders a few feet away were attracting 50+ birds!

Jeff

good point Jeff. Even our Dobie won't walk past any of our blue garden chairs . If I can only get coloured feeders I could spray them matt black

You're really lucky to get Brown Thrashers. Great birds - and ones I've never yet seen in our yards!

We've got lots of Cardinals, too. As it happens, I just posted about Cardinals on my blog.

Which state do you live in?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
We had one stop by a few months ago and start visiting. He/she would hop around the backyard looking for insects. It would always show up with a Northern Mocking Bird, but the Mocking Bird has moved on.

I mowed our back lot on Saturday and noticed 3 hunting (bugging) in the fresh mowed area. They have been hanging out in a small pine tree on the edge of our property, so hopefully we have some fledglings! On the back part of the lot there are a lot of weeds and tall shrubs, which I keep from cutting to attract birds and animals to that area and it seems to be working.

He/She was by the feeder this morning hunting with a robin. They seem to be a pretty laid back bird, but their hopping around sometime scares off the timid ones.

Overall I’m very pleased to have them staying!

Location: Illinois, about 10 miles from the Missouri border, close to St. Louis.

Attachments

• 4637415671_02bb012bca_z.jpg
    4637415671_02bb012bca_z.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 46
starting to see juvneiles more today, which consisted of Great And Blue Tits along with greenfinches, goldfinches and dunnocks and robins. Must have totalled around 20 or so juveniles including all of the said species.

Herring Gull over harassing a Buzzard........ the Herring Gull was very aggressive with lots of noise, only other gulls in area were BH gulls but about an hour later. This Herring Gull must have been on its case for a while as they both carried on until well out of sight.

20+ Swifts still over the garden

Pretty quiet otherwise with just the usuals.

Rain has set in now keeping most birds under cover except the Woodpigeons (4).
Dave

BFB the hot weather is always too much for me, I cant be doing with 28c it stops me from sleeping!

Largest house sparrow count this morning, my feeders were empty (greedy blighters!) but there were 14 feeding on the scraps on the ground. 3 starlings also came to have a bit of a nosey at what the sparrows were up to. My two goldies were sat out eating nyger seed in the pouring rain last night which made me giggle a little! Lots of house martins still about over the garden too.

I have been lucky to have good numbers of Dunnocks in the garden, 2 resident families live / visit daily. However 3 more juveniles have appeared today.... so 8 juveniles in total since May. The first 3 were resident juveniles, these are now less heavily streaked, I then had 2 more juves that I think were just passing through.... but currently as I write I have these 3 new Juvs and 2 adults feeding around the garden.

Dave, we've had a couple of young Dunnocks in the garden the past few days too, there are usually 3 or 4 around the garden front and back.

Just had my first juvenile Robin of the year, next doors cat has scared it off now. Also had a juvenile Great Tit around the too.

Still no Blackbirds though.

Feeders been busy this morning: tufted titmouse, black capped chickadee, cardinal, downy woodpecker (I think), sparrows, nuthatch, common redpoll. And of course some squirrels and chipminks. Going through a ton of seed!! Spotted a Great Blue Heron yesterday. That was a treat. Do not normally see them in the yard.

Some garden images

from today...... and a sneaky one from the Reservoir ;)

New juvenile Dunnocks, Housesparrow and an updated image from today where the Great Crested Grebe is still on her eggs they cant be far off hatching now I hopefully will be able to go back regularly to try and catch the chicks first steps into our pleasant land!

Pam I enjoy the simplicity of the Dunnocks around the garden, they seem to upset no-one and get left to their own devices by pretty much all the other species at best they have a frolic now and again with the Robins. Very underated bird :t:

Weather closing in.... forked lightning, loud claps of thunder.

Attachments

• pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 66
  • juv.jpg
    juv.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 66
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 57
  • tending-eggs.jpg
    tending-eggs.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Weather watch

Weather good to watch and also the birds on the move.... this Grey Heron just gone directly over:t: plus a whole load of mallard and gulls

Not clever enough to predict the next bolt of lightning.... so no photos :storm:

Attachments

• dark-skys-and-colour.jpg
    dark-skys-and-colour.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 49
  • over.jpg
    over.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Yes we've just had our second thunder storm of the evening, though not as good as the first when our road flooded worse than i've ever seen before.

When it stopped earlier, the feeder got mobbed by Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Starling, Sparrows, Blue Tits, Collared Doves and the young Robin.

Dave, they are underated and often overlooked I think. They are actually quite stunning little birds if you close at their markings aren't they?!

we have only just had our first proper break through of rain for over three weeks here. but we desperatly need more though.

as far as the dunnocks, we have had a gd amount here too. we have our resident dunnock pair nesting in the cotoneaster bushes at the side of the house. 6 juvs have been around so far this year from them, though they all seem to disapeaer in about a week. hope nothing has had them! the adults are still here though, so unsure if they will be having another lot. if they do, it would be their third i believe! must be a gd year for the dunnocks! which is not a bad thing ;)

7 house sparrows this morning, numbers down by half, blackbird was back to hoovering up the scraps and 2 woodpigeons this morning, damn things keep eating everything and none of the other birds will come whilst they sit there :C

Got to the office this morning & found a dead female blackbird outside, I think its possibly been drinking water from a rainwater drain that comes from the gutter, it was blocked with leaves. Really made me quite sad this morning, I moved the bird to a 'scrub' area where it can be returned to nature. I also unblocked the drain, we are next to a dentist so in all probability some bleach or something may have got into the water and the bird has drunk it, I will be sure to keep unblocking the drain if needs be. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back