• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (10 Viewers)

one thing i have noticed since moving into this new flat is that jackdaws appear to be completely incapable of passing a chimney pot without sticking their head down it.

Had 3 hours at Brazos Bend State Park yesterday. Perhaps because of the World Cop on TV, the park was almost empty of people - met only four in the first hour of walking. The result was amazing - birds seemed much less bothered by us than usual and let us get close. When I say close, I mean really really close. I've never before got within 25 feet of an Anhinga (large cormorant-type bird). Yesterday one sat and let me get within 3 feet before it croaked at me and threatened to fly off.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Well done Jeff, Its nice to have a place to yourself especially when the birds are so confiding

Can't see this answered anywhere, so I'll have a stab.

Juv Goldies are the same as adults, but without the red face. They kind of look a bit naked in a way!! But, yes, they do have the yellow wing bars.

As for separating the sexes, there probably is a way, but its not something I've ever heard of - all adults look the same to me.

I too missed this....

But you are just about spot on. think the female is just a little more subdued in the face, somethinkg easier to see when you have a few birds together. The Juveniles look like the american goldfinch... plain face

I too missed this....

But you are just about spot on. think the female is just a little more subdued in the face, somethinkg easier to see when you have a few birds together. The Juveniles look like the american goldfinch... plain face

I've also noticed recently that the juvs' chest are more subdued, but its the face that is the giveaway.

We finally have some rain here this evening and the Swifts have loved it, there have been 8 screeching about overhead - great to watch. Juvenile Goldfinch and Blue Tits about quite a bit earlier too.

Cc we had quite a bit here overnight, though it's still pretty hot and sticky here despite the cloud.

Dave, very nice start to the day.

I had a Wren on the shed this morning, Squirrel, Starlings and Blue tit young on the feeder too.

Hi everyone, just checking in to see how everyone is doing, looks like good stuff being seen. Not been able to seee my garden just lately, to many things to do :-C so hopefully will get chance soon,
All the best everyone.
B :)

Last night a magpie took either the eggs or chick/s from the woodpigeon's nest in the lane. I don't much care for woody's to be honest. They just fill their greedy crops with seed and deny a lot of the smaller birds in the garden . That said i felt a bit sorry for them as they had their long time nest removed this spring by developers next door but fortunately found a suitable tree nearby to build a new nest .

Garden very quiet lately. Some very attractive chaffinches this morning but I haven't even seen the robin lately.

Mrs is away on a family holiday so I'm feeding the little blighters this week. They ain't getting any bread from me which is probably why the jackdaws have not been in the garden at all this week. They are another bird that hogs the space and food .

oops Mrs has just rung... not to ask after me but the flippin birds ! :-C

Better get back to my painting and list of jobs as long as my arm.

Jeff thats an incredible looking bird ,looks almost primeaval ;) great shot as usual

lots of sparrows about again today, the juvs are still sitting on the edge of the seed tray and refusing to feed themselves. maybe one day they will make the adventurous step of putting their head down and eating for themselves!! saw one of my goldies again last night, only seems to be one coming which seem a little odd, perhaps the other is on the nest? having to fill up seed tray every day and the sunflower hearts every 3 at the moment which is much faster than i've previously had to!

not much rain though and the reservoirs in the peak district are empty.

crossing the woodhead on saturday 2 of them were little more than a puddle

Same for our resrs at Macclesfield. The largest resr is very low!!

just in from work and had a Cormorant over at 06.15am.... nice start to any day

Nice one :t: Was it an adult or juvvie?

2010 Garden species:

No. 46 Kestrel
:t:

Just had one flyover coincidently I had a Kes flyover at a similar time last year .... June 20th

B :)B :)

On my garden front had the first juv Greenfinches yesterday.

CB

Gone a little dull over here, Think it must be second brood time.

Most birds are not very frequent at the moment and the feeders are largely empty compared to the last few or so weeks surges.
Superb pics Jeff and all, Keep up the good work!

karpy

i was asked to identify a bird in a tree at work yesterday so got my binos out of the car stood with 2 others who were pointing to a green bird
green woodpecker maybe greenfinch nope it was a green parrot :-O where from iv'e no clue anyone lost one in glossop if so its near the swimming baths but that was yesterday
on the homefront now not sure if captaincarot has mentioned this but on the roof of houses across the road there is a stone owl :-O

bornwild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back