• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Jeff I have started to walk to work now the good weather is here. Yesterday saw 17 species on the 25 minute walk. Treecreeper, Great, Blue & Coal tits. Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, 2 Mallard, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Swallow, Swift, Wren, Housesparrow, Jackdaw
I should keep a list
Dave

That's impressive, Dave. And you get to really see the birds. I sometimes see 25+ species on my drive but only get quick looks because they're either flying past me or I'm flying past them.

Jeff

Kingbirds

I lost the young Western Kingbirds on the college campus yesterday but then found them again. I was thrilled see there are 4 youngsters, not just the three I had spotted earlier. They raised 4 every year for 6 years until this year. However, all the construction work going on around the campus has greatly reduced their habitat and I thought the parents had cut back to three young this year.

The youngsters let me get some good photos. As you can see from the attached, they are already very handsome.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• kingbird-june 25.JPG
    kingbird-june 25.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 44
Loads of juv house sparrows on the feeder today but still yet to feed themselves! Got a lovely pic of an adult feeding one of the young (below) and also had this other visitor which at first I thought was a Starling then perhaps female blackbird, but im a bit confused... any suggestions??

Attachments

• P6265052.JPG
    P6265052.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 53
  • P6265059.JPG
    P6265059.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 54
What a day for the siskins. Firstly one was stunned when it hit the sun-lounge door and after I'd carefully returned it to the bird table, it was totally ignored by the other 5/6 siskins as it sat there rather stunned and glazed looking.

A GSW soon livened proceedings up when it came and inspected the food I'd left. A few Coal-Tits came and went but they left when the Finches returned.

Pretty aggresive little fellas, Siskins are'nt they?

Si

Loads of juv house sparrows on the feeder today but still yet to feed themselves! Got a lovely pic of an adult feeding one of the young (below) and also had this other visitor which at first I thought was a Starling then perhaps female blackbird, but im a bit confused... any suggestions??

Andy I would say young Blackbird not Starling!

gleneskbirder, hope the Siskin was ok!

We had 7 Blue Tit youngsters today instead of the usual 4, the all came in with one adult, I thought i'd seen some extra ones during the week but they moved so fast in and out of the trees I wasn't sure. Also had a young Great Tit too.

Your bird is a juv Blackbird. Very speckled on the front.

CB

All the usual buggers gracing my garden, Starlings on a second brood!

There eating like mad at the moment and being real selective, Fat is going like no tomorrow.

Been doing a little messing with Moths at the moment and enjoying it! This fellow turned up to suck the life out of the lavender today!

Karpman

Attachments

• Hummer-hawk-two.jpg
    Hummer-hawk-two.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 45
Also had a Blackbird standing behind me for worms, When i do a bit of gardening he always pops along and I chuck worms over me shoulder loves em hehe.

Karpster

All the usual buggers gracing my garden, Starlings on a second brood!

There eating like mad at the moment and being real selective, Fat is going like no tomorrow.

Been doing a little messing with Moths at the moment and enjoying it! This fellow turned up to suck the life out of the lavender today!

Karpman

Great image Karps. very impressed mate

thanks for the replies, thats juv sparrows, starlings and a juv blackbird now :D *prays for juv goldies!*

nice one andy..... its good to have the juves, kind of cements your garden as a good location for these families to bring up the young.

Off to visit my parents in Wales now so hopefully some Little tern images later, I am making my partner come down to the beach with me to see them, as she has no intrest in birds at all, baking hot sun, and me with binoculars and a camera, I hope were still talking on the way back :-O

Oh then she has to sit in front of the telly and watch England with me and my father........

GREAT DAY OUT REALLY

OK

I have a problem..... while sat out in the garden I just witnessed a Magpie bury an egg. I have retrieved the egg... its a Blackbird egg

Remember this....

Well I can safely say that I think the magpie must have taken all the eggs from this clutch. I have been waiting just to see if the juveniles arrived a bit later but alas... no Blackbird juves this year. :C

I know they will have a second brood I just hope that now the magpies have their own young to deal with they should leave the Blavckbirds alone this time.

I am making my partner come down to the beach with me to see them, as she has no intrest in birds at all, baking hot sun, and me with binoculars and a camera, I hope were still talking on the way back :-O
Oh then she has to sit in front of the telly and watch England with me and my father........
GREAT DAY OUT REALLY

Stiff upper lip, Dave. (You'll need it for watching England anyway. They can make even strong men cry.) You're better off than me. We'll miss the football because we're going for a picnic in a local park - and it's 95F/35C.

Still lots of action in our garden. Managed to get some decent shots of a male Northern Cardinal on our shed roof. You can see why Texans call it simply the "red bird".

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot

Attachments

• red bird.jpg
    red bird.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 48
Remember this....

Well I can safely say that I think the magpie must have taken all the eggs from this clutch. I have been waiting just to see if the juveniles arrived a bit later but alas... no Blackbird juves this year. :C

I know they will have a second brood I just hope that now the magpies have their own young to deal with they should leave the Blavckbirds alone this time.

Interesting behavior though! No magpies around my parts currently had another batch of sparrows out today, 1 male 2 females and 4 or so babies keeping them busy lol.

No goldfinch or coal tit for a little while though which is very worrying, Did have a probable Little gull over the garden yesterday but not counting it as i am not 100% sure and the photo's are rubbish.

The bird was being chased by 2 jackdaws slightly smaller gull like profile with black or very dark underwing about caked me pants and burnt me bloody burgers lol, Has been red kite in the area also not seen it my self though!

Karpster

Had 3 hours at Brazos Bend State Park yesterday. Perhaps because of the World Cop on TV, the park was almost empty of people - met only four in the first hour of walking. The result was amazing - birds seemed much less bothered by us than usual and let us get close. When I say close, I mean really really close. I've never before got within 25 feet of an Anhinga (large cormorant-type bird). Yesterday one sat and let me get within 3 feet before it croaked at me and threatened to fly off.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• anhinga.JPG
    anhinga.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 30
Pied Flys

Had a juvenile Pied in the garden this morning. As to whether its one from the nest one will never know but I'd like to think it was

Great capture Jeff! I was happy to see yesterday that we might have a new male cardinal fledgling visiting our feeder. He's very small and is a dark brownish red. (not the same as a female) I'll have to get a pic when he comes back. I was also happy to see our Brown Thrasher returning pecking like crazy for some insects!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back