• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

From photos # 1 and # 2, it looks like that bird has been ringed with an aluminum band!

Hi Larry, yes, I noticed that too. Busy little bird, lol. I hope that Hairy Woodpecker comes back for you today.

Jeff - isn't it great how birds do indeed 'get used to us' and those close up shots are more possible. Beautiful colours on the Finch and Cardinal.

Dave - Safe driving and have fun with the pre-Christmas get togethers.

Hobbes

"Jeff - isn't it great how birds do indeed 'get used to us' and those close up shots are more possible. Beautiful colours on the Finch and Cardinal."

Hi, Hobbes.

The Cardinals are always beautifully colored but the male House Finches vary a lot. Some are dark red, almost purple, while others are a pale pink. We have one that is an orange variant - though he's actually more yellowy gold than orange.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Anyhow been out birding for a change can't do it all in your garden I guess lol.
My garden has been very busy though almost like a take from a famous alfred hitchcock film!
Splendid simply amazed, Will leave the trip reports to my blog as it lacks content lol:-O
Working on getting the birds a bit less jumpy when I'm in the garden now and seems to be working to some extent at least in as much they just head to the tree and squawk at me now hehe.

karpman

My garden has been very busy too, non stop yesterday with House Sparrows, Goldfinch, Blue Tits, Great Tit, Robin, Dunnocks and Starlings. Plus the odd Blackbirds and Collared Doves. The Long Tailed Tit put in another appearance too.

So far this morning it's looking just busy!:t:

Quick Update - just had a Coal Tit on the feeders, not seen one of those in a few weeks!

That's great, Pam, I've never seen one even near my garden.

While I'm here, an update from me:

No changes in species, although there might be a few more Great Tits; I saw 2 fighting and another 2 at the same time.

Yesterday I noticed a Sparrowhawk being harassed by a Crow as they flew over my garden. A while later a Sparrowhawk swooped into the wire fence at the back of next door's garden, but missed. It then flew to the top of the fence and posed for 2 minutes while I took loads of pictures.

I've already uploaded pictures to my gallery, but I'll post a different picture in this thread. I've also attached a picture of a Woody and a Jay.

Attachments

• P1330182Rn.jpg
    P1330182Rn.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P1330038Rn.JPG
    P1330038Rn.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1320891Rn.JPG
    P1320891Rn.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 46
The usual suspects turned up today.
Greenfinch 10+
goldfinch 20+
dunnocks 4
sparrows 8
starlings 20 +
blue/great/willow tits
chaffinches 3
wren
blackbirds 4
robins 3
and a visit from our skittish part albino robin which i'm gonna put out food especially for him in his usual spot and try and get some closer shots of him.
Whats the best food to put out for him
am gonna put out rehydrated mealworms and some peanut chips and sunflower hearts which i'm goin thru a kilo a day at least.

Very busy...

Been busy this morning with Godlfinches and greenfinches, I've attached a couple of photos to give you a sense of the busy-ness.
Also the longtailed tits were back the other day, first this winter, my bullfinches and the gr. spotted woodpecker are now pretty regular.
Coal, blue and great tits. Chaffinches, dunnocks, robins, blackbirds, sparrows, woodpigeon and local homing pigeons.

Attachments

• Dec09 052.jpg
    Dec09 052.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Dec09 006.jpg
    Dec09 006.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Dec09 025.jpg
    Dec09 025.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 55
Yesterday I noticed a Sparrowhawk being harassed by a Crow as they flew over my garden. A while later a Sparrowhawk swooped into the wire fence at the back of next door's garden, but missed. It then flew to the top of the fence and posed for 2 minutes while I took loads of pictures.

Great photo of the Sparrowhawk Chris. Great when you see them flying overhead being chased by the Crows, I see that here too.

Not much to report from my garden, just same old, same old really. The Blackbirds are getting rather tame with me and will come very close indeed to pick up suet pellets to which they seem very partial - if I drop a pellet on the lawn in their sight then it'll bring a blackbird scurrying at a great pace to gather it up before the Collared Doves or Starlings get a chance. :-O

Hey guys!

Awesome how your gardens are going, Was out birding/xmas shopping all weekend and had some awesome new species.

My garden has is totally in full flow now I'm getting rooks, Carrion crows, jackdaw, Magpie, greenfinch "loads", Chaffinch "loads, 4 or so dunnocks at least 2 individual robins black birds and starlings. A wood pidgeon who gets in my little water bowl much to the disgust of the water which gets and he even has the cheek to eat from feeders whilst he bathes lol.

The birds have even got used to my next door blokey much to his dismay and as walk home from dinner i can see them coming down to land in my garden!

Now time to clean up some bird poop hehe

laters
karpman

Been busy this morning with Godlfinches and greenfinches, I've attached a couple of photos to give you a sense of the busy-ness.
Also the longtailed tits were back the other day, first this winter, my bullfinches and the gr. spotted woodpecker are now pretty regular.
Coal, blue and great tits. Chaffinches, dunnocks, robins, blackbirds, sparrows, woodpigeon and local homing pigeons.

The 3rd pic looks like me after a few tipples:-Oo:)

Not going to try catching up with the thread after 3 days....

Great pictures Chris. I really am jealous of the photo opportunities you get with both the Jays and the Sparrowhawks. Again loads of other good pics from contributors not only of birds but also of feeding set ups.

Karpman I came close by yours over the weekend... down the A14 into Northamptonshire when visiting family.

In my own garden today it was nice to see Great tits in the bird box. This box has been un-occupied for at least 18 months. And right next to it I put up 3 roosting pouches (as advised by CC I think??), anyway today the Coal tits started to bunk down in one of them.... Well pleased.

I am off Wed - Fri so am hoping to see what is around the garden in the mornings (hopefully catch up with the Redpolls from Saturday am) and also hopefully get over to the Wirral to see some waders.

Dave

Last edited:

Great pictures Chris. I really am jealous of the photo opportunities you get with both the Jays and the Sparrowhawks. Again loads of other good pics from contributors not only of birds but also of feeding set ups.

Karpman I came close by yours over the weekend... down the A14 into Northamptonshire when visiting family.

In my own garden today it was nice to see Great tits in the bird box. This box has been un-occupied for at least 18 months. And right next to it I put up 3 roosting pouches (as advised by CC I think??), anyway today the Coal tits started to bunk down in one of them.... Well pleased.

I am off Wed - Fri so am hoping to see what is around the garden in the mornings (hopefully catch up with the Redpolls from Saturday am) and also hopefully get over to the Wirral to see some waders.

Dave

LOL ya shoulda dropped in mate!
I always got a few tins handy ya coulda made the missus to drive home!:t:B :)

Just sorting a couple of photos to post from the garden today:-O

karpman

Dave

Tbh with the dark days im not getting a chance to see if anyones took up the residency of my bird box yet.|8(|
Hope so, mind with some very cold weather supposed to be coming and snow they may have no choice:-Oo:)

Good luck with that wayne mate!:t:

a couple of photos from me garden today, Thought i would share with ya:)

cheers
karpman:smoke:

Attachments

• gardenstarling2.jpg
    gardenstarling2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Garden-14-dec-09-015.jpg
    Garden-14-dec-09-015.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Gardenstarling3.jpg
    Gardenstarling3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Dave, Paul. But TBH, I'm just in the right place at the right time. In my case that means looking out of the window for more than 6 hours a day.

BTW Paul, what you describe with the Blackbirds is similar to how the Collys behave trying to get food before the Pigeons. The Starlings just steal from the Pigeons' beaks, but the Collys sort of stand back then dive in and out. The Collys aren't brave enough to land on me for food yet, but there's no room left anyway as the Pigeons are on both arms, shoulders, and head.|=)|

I saw the first Goldcrest today since March, whether I see it again depends on whether I'm looking in the right place at the the right time. I only just noticed it as it was dull light, and it was in a bush. The bad light meant that I got one very bad picture, especially as the light was behind the bird, but I've attached it just to show it was here.

Anyway, hopefully off to the Reservoirs again tomorrow, so I'm going to sort some stuff out now (mainly a thermal suit |=)|)

Attachments

• P1330257R.JPG
    P1330257R.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back