• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Talking about rooks, not in the garden admittedly, I was out early yesterday morning and driving along a quiet lane and there were literally hundreds of rooks lining each side of the road and flying up as I approached. I should really have tried to get a picture but it wouldn't have looked the same if I'd stopped the car. An amazing sight though with the early morning light behind them.

TS

I've only just noticed your post (easy to lose track in this thread), I was talking about Starlings, not Rooks.|=)|

I've never seen a Rook.

Chris do you mean in your garden or ever?

Never in my garden Dave, or locally (London). I've seen them when I used to go Fishing years ago, as I travelled around a bit.

In fact I may have seen them at Walthamstow Reservoirs, but I'd be lying if I said I remembered seeing them.

Never in my garden Dave, or locally (London). I've seen them when I used to go Fishing years ago, as I travelled around a bit.

In fact I may have seen them at Walthamstow Reservoirs, but I'd be lying if I said I remembered seeing them.

Go back to post #471 just to make you jealous Chris ;) He is sat in the tree at the back of the garden in that shot.

I love them, we are very lucky as we only need to put bread on the lawn and they come hurtling down :t: but they are always flying in or around the garden all weathers

Yes Dave, I am a bit jealous|=)|, that's a very nice picture of a Rook.

I suppose there must be some in London somewhere. Aren't Rooks in the Tower of London?

EDIT: oops, I just remembered, it's Ravens in the Tower of London.

Last edited:
Almost forgot, the juvenile Magpies haven't really changed much, still scruffy. Here's a picture I took through the window of one of them today:

Attachments

• DSCF9154R.JPG
    DSCF9154R.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 45
Almost forgot, the juvenile Magpies haven't really changed much, still scruffy. Here's a picture I took through the window of one of them today:

Good one!

Not as nearly as prim and proper as its parents yet, I love the very smart plus 2`s that the adults wear when striding around...... (or is it plus 4`s...... golf attire) :-O

Good one!

Not as nearly as prim and proper as its parents yet, I love the very smart plus 2`s that the adults wear when striding around...... (or is it plus 4`s...... golf attire) :-O

Plus 4s I think, yeah they are very noticeable and always seem neat, even at times when the rest of the bird is untidy.

from the garden earlier in the year

Just thought I would add a few pics to brighten my posts up o:)

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 52
Great shots Dave. I'm pretty sure the last one is a female Greenfinch. Have seen what I think 'may' be a juvenile Greenie in my garden, but can't be sure - it was plain-looking, a bit scraggy and not quite like the male or females I see here. It was starting to get the yellow flashes but they were not developed, pretty plain coloured.

Probably should check my Collins Bird Guide, I'm sure it'll be in there!

Now you're showing off!! Just kidding lucky you!!:t:
I love Goldcrests but have never seen one really well, as they are always flitting about in trees.
Is number 4 a juv. Goldfinch as so far I am yet to see one?

Hi Moray
I've not posted for a while, been feeling pretty rubbish to be honest. Just for you, some juvenile goldfinch, taken in the garden on June 16th.

I'll try to give an update from here soon if I can wake myself up.

Lewis

Attachments

• garden-birds-09-439-gf.jpg
    garden-birds-09-439-gf.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 49
  • garden-birds-09-435-gf.jpg
    garden-birds-09-435-gf.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Jabberwocky ,I really appreciate the photos but are they in disguise as they appear to be wearing false beard and moustache :-O

Here`s a real cutie from our garden, a juvenile pied wagtail. Three appeared yesterday.
ps Insomnia!!

Attachments

• 2008_1002wagt0006_3.JPG
    2008_1002wagt0006_3.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Great shots Dave. I'm pretty sure the last one is a female Greenfinch. Have seen what I think 'may' be a juvenile Greenie in my garden, but can't be sure - it was plain-looking, a bit scraggy and not quite like the male or females I see here. It was starting to get the yellow flashes but they were not developed, pretty plain coloured.

Probably should check my Collins Bird Guide, I'm sure it'll be in there!

Fozzy attached are juv Greenfinch, I guess slightly different ages depending on the amount of streaking

Dave

Attachments

• Greenfinch Juv.jpg
    Greenfinch Juv.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back