• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verano BGA HD to VHD, optical changes, usable eye relief. (1 Viewer)

Anderlfs

Brazil
Hi! I've read the reviews and everything in between and I'm looking forward to learning more about Verano BGA VHD 8x32. I tried unsuccessfully to look for a review of the optical characteristics of the BGA VHD compared to the previous HD version, If any. There were changes in the specifications of the prism material (PGK to BAK-4) and lens coating ("F Type" to FMC), but because I don't know what means PGK and F Type, I can't even try to deduce what this means in practice.

As always, usable eye relief is also always a mystery, but important to know if the binoculars will fit also in my aviator-style frame. It seems to me that Opticron follow a pattern of great reduction from technical to usable eye relief (5mm on average). Taking the Savanna WP 6x30 as an example, the 21mm specified is in practice 15.5mm usable. Looking at the designs of their eyecups, they don't seem to be very different, they look thick. So, the 18mm specified for the Opticron Verano 8x32 should in practice be 13mm usable. Far from being a precise method, but It's what I can do right now to try to estimate It. I appreciate any feedback on this too.

Savanna: 1712332562504.png - Verano: 1712332477597.png

I also read here or elsewhere that the eyepiece is removable, which may be useful in these cases. Does It proceed? How practical is it to unscrew It?

Thanks in Advance.

I briefly owned one of these. I didn't measure usable eye relief (in the 8x32), but it felt well below the stated 18mm. It was comfortable to use with my glasses on without the eyecups raised, but not overly generous. From memory, I'd guess it was somewhere between 14mm and 15mm.

And yes, the eyecups do unscrew so that they can be removed/replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back