• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

valencia, alicante and albacete 10.-13.06.2008 (1 Viewer)

lou salomon

the birdonist
hello all,

valencia and alicante are well known areas for european birders holding a couple of very rare wp-species like red-knobbed coot and white-headed duck. in addition to the coastal sites i spent 25 hours inland in the province of castilla la mancha, albacete region, for “steppe” species like larks, bustards and sandgrouse.

since i’m busy with raising small children i haven’t been out on pure birding trips for 3 and a half years, so for me this was great fun – being outside, alone, driving through impressing countrysides, sleeping under open sky and, of course – intense birdwatching.

with the help of jules sykes i managed to see a total of 10 lifers which is about double the number that i had expected! jules is the man to contact or hire as a guide if you are unfamiliar with the region, being proved by many birder’s trip reports. have a look at his website:
http://www.olivaramatours.com

at noon, jules picked me up at valencia-airport and helped me with hiring a car. we headed north and visited moro-marshes where we spent half the afternoon. immediately after getting out of the car the first flock of audouin’s gulls flew overhead. moro marshes is a natural reserve with many ponds and extended reedbeds close to the coast. it offered sightings of 4 little bittern, many great reed warbler, a southern grey shrike and, most important, a couple of red-knobbed coot plus an adult purple swamp-hen feeding a fully grown juvenile.
after 1 hour drive south to oliva where jules’ familiy is running the “olivarama” bed and breakfast pension i spent the evening at pego-marshes, which is within a 10 min drive south of oliva. dark clouds of the passing thunderstorms of the last days were still clutching to the mountaineous inland and provided a few alpine swifts and a red-rumped swallow to join the masses of common swifts, swallows and house martins over the paddyfields at sunset. inside the paddyfields large numbers of herons/egrets (purple, grey, squacco & night heron, cattle and little egret as well as little bittern in the reeds), some juvenile red-crested pochards, numerous teritorial black-winged stilts and again, close views of about 50 resting and feeding audouin’s gulls. finally, in the reedbeds near a canal i found the sought after moustached warbler, a singing male. after sunset, at 10 p.m. driving back on the dirt roads bordering the paddyfields some red-necked nightjars were sitting on the roads with their large glooming eyes. slept at “olivarama”.

this day julian sykes guided us (an english couple and me) to some interesting sites in the alicante region (7:00-17:00 inclusive drives).
we started with excellent views of a rufous-tailed scrub robin (or rufous bush chat, however you want) on the ground in a coastal pine wood near santa pola, also singing! exercisies in pallid swift id. the closeby reserve clot de galvany provides 2 hides for purple swamp-hen (1 adult) and 3 white-headed duck (ad male, 2cy male and a female). also some hoopoes, little owl (which is really abundant in spain), a juv. spanish green woodpecker with its whimbrel-like call and 4-5 red-rumped swallows.
the salines south of santa pola held large numbers of breeding yellow-legged gulls (now with 2-3 weeks old chicks), some slender-billed gulls, kentish plover, ca. 300 feeding greater flamingo etc.;
after lunch we visited a colony of collared pratincoles, saw a stone curlew, a distant flying glossy ibis (once rare it now becomes more and more regular in this area), displaying lesser short-toed larks and some rollers. they nest in palm trees in the holes of spanish green woodpecker. a short-toed eagle and two nice hunting male montague’s harrier showed up. all these were in the outskirts of the large el hondo natural reserve (the lagoon not being visible from the roads). over the lagoon an incredibly large flock of apparently many thousends swifts/swallows/martins gathered to feed in front of the menacing dark blue thunderstorm clouds – and us savouring that athmosfere…

soon i’ll continue with this day's evening and a list of all species seen. cheers for the moment.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 90
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 75
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
continuing 11.06.

jules drove us to crevillente where a first black wheatear showed up right inside the town, on a block of flats! further inside the mountains we got to the site where the only pair of bonelli's eagle of the region is nesting. the single juvenile had already fledged and none of the eagles was present. while waiting we saw many woodchat shrike, some hoopoes, bee-eaters, a male blue rock thrush, alpine swifts, several black wheatear including a family, half a dozen red-rumped swallows and a singing thekla lark. and there he came: the juvenile bonelli's eagle glided in and landed on a rim in the wall for extensive preening.

Attachments

• d.gif
    d.gif
    286.2 KB · Views: 80
  • e.gif
    e.gif
    237.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
sure it is, des.
various landscapes and habitats close to each other. while most of the coastal plains are pretty busy and obstructed there's the other extreme with the sparse populated high plains of the albacete region in castilla la mancha. it is just within a one hour drive from the coast (oliva, gandia) but you find a totally different spectrum of birds. there is this quiteness, the simple and hard life of much poorer people, ancient settlements (the ones i saw: bonete, corral rubio and petrola) and nobody is bothered if you enter their private roads between the vast cereal fields. these fields look a bit like a patchy savanna (now that wheat is grown high), with stony dry fields in between, providing habitats for both bustards (they like high "grass") and sandgrouses -> semideserts. the hills are rocky and sparsely vegetated with oak trees (holm oak, quercus ilex) and bushes or, planted pine woods.

there i got in the evening of 11.06.: exited the highway valencia - albacete at bonete and went north towards higuerela to find a place to sleep on a slope with oaks. on several stops i tried to remember the different and complex song patterns of the 6 lark species present (with thekla only on the hills, i didn't see the 7th which is wood lark). and finally i saw them: 4 flying magnificient great bustards, which was very exciting since i haven't seen them before. a few minutes later i saw 2 large males feeding in an open dry field. so this was luck because these big birds easily merge into the high wheat and disappear. no chance to see little bustard at this time of year, at least here.
calandra lark prooved to be absolutely abundant, with many greater short-toed and only one definite lesser-short toed. rock sparrows are very common and hurds of them nest in old buildings and stone stacks. many red-legged partridge with singing males and families of half-grown chicks. some singing quails, plenty of corn bunting.
i fell asleep with the faint hooing of a distant eagle owl and the rythmic song of red-necked nightjar...this day's list totalled 91 species.

Last edited:
12.06. bonete and petrola

western bonelli's and subalpine warbler were singing while i was still in the sleeping bag. later, near bonete, a party of at least 5 tiny spectacled warblers hopped around some stone piles. this morning i was lucky to see a pair of black-bellied sandgrouse drinking at a rain poodle in front of me, they flew away with their strange guttural calls. near a cutting of the road close to bonete a pair of (western) black-eared wheatear showed up.

most of the afternoon i spent in the petrola area with its large lagoon (filled by the heavy rain falls some days ago, very unusual for this season). breeding kentish plovers, unusually early black terns, 2 male shoveler, some red-crested pochards and the normal sight of feeding flamingos (146 ind.).
one of the target species, a juvenile great spotted cuckoo came out of a large oak tree, later i saw a second one, an adult flying near the road. an adult type golden eagle showed up for a bit, plus 2 short-toed eagles on this day, probably both juveniles, one sitting on a pole close to the road, confusingly had a totally cream-white head and neck/chest.
heading south and then entering the large fields again i heard another unusual call: there we go - 4 flying pin-tailed sandgrouse which fortunately i could relocate later on a stony field slope. savouring this sight of 2 pairs, i remembered julian's words that PTSG is unlikely to be found at this time of the year, possibly i was lucky with the rain falls of the past days.
looking what's in the pine forest at the top of a hill chain (unfortunatelly also with a long row of windmills:C) i found a singing thekla lark and a singing rock bunting. nice to add to the list.
last but not least after scanning a lot those huge fields finally i found another great bustard mom with one chick, cautiously but with gracefull slowness immerging into a high grown wheat field.
at 8 p.m. i drove back to oliva to sleep in a bed (at olivarama) cause i didn't trust those dark clowds and stronger getting winds.

Attachments

• f.gif
    f.gif
    264.4 KB · Views: 85
  • g.gif
    g.gif
    191.7 KB · Views: 86
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 81
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Sounds like great fun! Some good birds there too which I'd struggle to see in my favoured part of SW Andalucia .... not that I'd swap locations with Jules!

John

it basically was fun and i fully recovered from my exiting flew. just this sort of "lonesome cowboy illusion". the other part was changing information with jules, a knowledgable birder and absolutely (how do call that?) a cool bloke. maybe wrong expression but he's really forthcoming and as friendly as his mother ;) thank you for that, jules! :t::t::t:

Last edited:
13.06. pego and albufera

well, the last day provided the last of the 10 lifers, and it was of course: marbled duck. i saw one each at pego marshes and later in the afternoon in the albufera (national park) close to valencia, both in paddyfields.

nothing really extraordinary in the pego marshes (10:00-12:00 h) but some nice observations: a purple heron picking up an unwarry mallard chick, mother mallard trys to get it back and flys after the heron, in vain. a woodchat shrike at the nest. a moustached warbler well visible (the usual acro curiosity ;) ), a singing savi's warbler, a juv peregrine above a wooded hill. took some horrible pics of yellow-legged gulls to document (for me) the strange 2nd summer plumage (see below) with adult like bare parts. a flock of about 70 whiskered terns.

in the heat at noon i took a bath north of oliva and did some 'seawatching' attempts but of course only the normal species were present (YLG, sandwich, little and common tern).

when arriving the first paddyfields fo the albufera wetland (which is huge!) at 2 p.m. immediately i saw one of the typical and most numerous birds here, absent in moro and pego marshes: gull-billed tern. surely the strongest population i ever saw, with maybe 100 birds actually seen, spread in single individuals. around 250 audouin's gull (guessed). circa 30 turtle dove (high density in the coastal pine woods), 3 slender-billed gulls over the sea, and a very good backlight view of a marbled duck.
holland was killing france while i enjoyed a fried "lenguada" and a cold beer in el saler.
i slept on the lido, hiding in the pine wood, with the sound of a begging juv long-eared owl and the buzzing of mosquitos above my ear, getting up at 4:45 to get to the plane in valencia.

Attachments

• y.JPG
    y.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 72
  • r2---Kopie.jpg
    r2---Kopie.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0010 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_0010 - Kopie.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0012 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_0012 - Kopie.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 77
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
and finally for those who want to see the whole list: the 130 species with estimates of the actually seen numbers (attached).

cheers,

Attachments

• artenliste spanien.doc
    133.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
A great report Lou, about a superb part of Spain, that has really been put on the birding by Jules. Who is what we would say in Northeast England. A top bloke!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back