• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent help needed baby birds found in bin (1 Viewer)

Emilyb81

United Kingdom
Hi my sister has been gardening today and has just found 3 baby what looks like blackbirds inside her green bin with lid closed had a pot and other things on top so no way mum can get in for weeks!! The babies aren't making noise but are alive what should she do please? Ive tried calling local rspca and rspb both say closed! She isnt sure what to do? Its very hot so i said she should move big green bin into shade and trying finding worms for them? But its maybe the heat thats kept them alive so long?? Does anyone know who we can contact please near Beaconsfield?

Attachments

• VID-20220417-WA0000.mp4
    4 MB
Hi my sister has been gardening today and has just found 3 baby what looks like blackbirds inside her green bin with lid closed had a pot and other things on top so no way mum can get in for weeks!! The babies aren't making noise but are alive what should she do please? Ive tried calling local rspca and rspb both say closed! She isnt sure what to do? Its very hot so i said she should move big green bin into shade and trying finding worms for them? But its maybe the heat thats kept them alive so long?? Does anyone know who we can contact please near Beaconsfield?
Ok my sister now told me there was a gap in top of bin so possible mum has been able to get in? So ive told her to leave them but they don't seem very awake? And not making noise etc? Should she move bin into shade or just leave it and go away?

Attachments

• IMG-20220417-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220417-WA0001.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi Emily and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. If your sister could wedge the lid open, enough to allow the parents to get in while still providing some shade and shelter from rain, that would help. Please let us know how it turns out.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello Emily,
at first I wanted to write: first thing is to keep the green bin open, so the adults can come in. But you posted the answer, they can come in.
So my advice:
please keep disturbance on a minimum=stay away from the green bin
I am not so sure: if its really hot, than open the bin (for a while) might be better than changing the position into shade.
But I think both actions will be tolerated by the parents, if you stay away from the area.

OK crisis averted mum has just been in so shes left them alone i was wrong robins not blackbirds 😂🤦‍♀️ didnt know robin babies were so huge?! Ive seen fledgling robins i knew they were a bit bigger but wow?! She is going to help by leaving mealworms nearby 👍 i posted originally because she said bin was closed completely amd no way for mum to enter?! So all is well that ends well! Glad someone didnt move them! Sorry for panicking guys 😂
Ok my sister now told me there was a gap in top of bin so possible mum has been able to get in? So ive told her to leave them but they don't seem very awake? And not making noise etc? Should she move bin into shade or just leave it and go away?

Thankyou so much peeps 💖 i love this forum! So many helpful people with knowledge to share! I feel a bit silly now but seeing them so quiet and being told mum could not get in i was worried and its so hot today in the breeze let alone in a plastic bin! But it is wedged open and mum is in and out so phew i just wanted to say thankyou for your advice and quick response! I live 300 miles away from my family so its even harder when not there to see for yourself 🤦‍♀️😊👍 as i said all is well that ends well she will keep an eye for a few days try and leave extra food close by! That poor mum having so many large mouths to feed! The robins here work together so hopefully dad is involved too! 🤞

Hi again Emily. I'm so pleased to hear it's working out. These Robins do find some weird places to nest LOL.

I feel a bit silly now
Not silly at all. Better to ask than risk doing the wrong thing. It sounds like they must be well covered in their downy feathers to look so big. So their next big adventure will be trying to get out of there when they fledge!!

WEEre
Hi again Emily. I'm so pleased to hear it's working out. These Robins do find some weird places to nest LOL.

Not silly at all. Better to ask than risk doing the wrong thing. It sounds like they must be well covered in their downy feathers to look so big. So their next big adventure will be trying to get out of there when they fledge!!

Were you guys able to view the video's i posted please? Just says haven't been viewed? And having issues with my phone recently! I also changed the title of thread so no longer so dramatic said dying 🤦‍♀️😂 i am a bit or a drama queen sometimes when it comes to animals! Again appreciate your help! Sorry disturbing your Easter weekend!

She is going to try and video them when they come out etc so that will be exciting 👍😊 i do love robins always so positive and dance around etc 🤗💖👍

Were you guys able to view the video's i posted please? Just says haven't been viewed? And having issues with my phone recently! I also changed the title of thread so no longer so dramatic said dying 🤦‍♀️😂 i am a bit or a drama queen sometimes when it comes to animals! Again appreciate your help! Sorry disturbing your Easter weekend!
Yes... I could see the video. It was a bit difficult for me to make out what they were due to the angle; though they did look very black, so I can see why you thought they might be Blackbirds LOL.

Yes... I could see the video. It was a bit difficult for me to make out what they were due to the angle; though they did look very black, so I can see why you thought they might be Blackbirds LOL.
Oh brilliant! Yeah not great quality! Also just been told mum and dad are both very actively going in and out so i am fully satisfied they will be good 👍 i do love robins such good parents! Thankyou again! Xx

I just came across this thread and watched the video. Such a tiny little one. I could only see one.

Please keep us posted on how it is going ;)

Hi peeps not sure wether to start a new post or ask on here so will probably do both? Unfortunately the baby robins didn't make it :-( my sister watched (without going near) for several days the parents went in and out then all of a sudden stopped? Then upon checking she found the little ones had all died :-( so not sure what happened there but it must be a battle to keep 3 babies alive? And she assures me she didn't go back into the bin etc so I'm confident it wasn't caused by humans interfering?
Just a sad thing :-(
Now today my sister has this time been outside and moved her black bin to get it ready to be collected and saw 2 baby birds on floor behind the bin?
S he has looked closer and there is a broken nest next to them she put them back into the nest but they keep wiggling out and falling?? She isn't sure if she broke the nest when she moved the bin or if it was already like that? But she isn't sure what to do now? She has 2 dogs (puppies) who are obviously curious and sniffing around so shes trying to keep them inside and she has put them (the birds) in a tea towel to try and stop them wiggling out so much? They arent fledglings yet I don't think?
View attachment VID-20220422-WA0013.mp4
But she is currently watching to see if any parent birds come back? So watching from afar but she is panicking about these 2 dying like the others and the rspb says not to contact them about baby birds (helpful?) So not sure what she should do? The nest is broken i will attach video's she sent me these babies don't look good to be honest.....

Attachments

• VID-20220422-WA0014.mp4
    6.4 MB
Hi again Emily - you don't need another post, this one will do fine.

Hi Emily and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. If your sister could wedge the lid open, enough to allow the parents to get in while still providing some shade and shelter from rain, that would help. Please let us know how it turns out.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

In my first post to you I gave you a link for some general guidelines for the care of injured and baby birds, I've copied it down to this post.

I hope it helps.

Hi again Emily - you don't need another post, this one will do fine.

In my first post to you I gave you a link for some general guidelines for the care of injured and baby birds, I've copied it down to this post.

I hope it helps.
Oh lol i already posted another post so will figure out how to remove it when i get home on my laptop as probably easier than phone! And will send her that information too appreciate it! :)

the rspb says not to contact them about baby birds (helpful?)

Hi again Emily

The RSPB is not a rescue organisation and don't have any facilities for caring for baby and injured birds (their remit is mainly concerned with protecting habitats etc).

Unfortunately centres like the RSPCA and other wildlife rescue organisations do get swamped with calls for help at this time of year but can only accept a limited number of nestlings. Sadly there's a high percentage of nest failures naturally and also due to predation and human interference. With the best will in the world they cannot help everything.

Hi again Emily

The RSPB is not a rescue organisation and don't have any facilities for caring for baby and injured birds (their remit is mainly concerned with protecting habitats etc).

Unfortunately centres like the RSPCA and other wildlife rescue organisations do get swamped with calls for help at this time of year but can only accept a limited number of nestlings. Sadly there's a high percentage of nest failures naturally and also due to predation and human interference. With the best will in the world they cannot help everything.
I realise that now but just surprised me to read do not contact us about baby birds it seemed unhelpful at the time? I think people presume that a bird charity is the place to contact about such a situation? But i do understand they are probably swamped with other issues and cant rush around saving all injured/struggling baby birds as at this time of year there must be a lot of them!! And i have since seen that they can't do much anyway as don't have the facilities? I was just reacting in my post as was just faced with the problem? So i appreciate they can't do anything about it and why i just took it badly because i was hoping they were the answer? But thankyou for your advice i sent it to my sister fingers crossed these little ones make it! 🤞🤞🤞

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back