• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Of note on a rare visit last night - little egret, two oystercatchers one common tern successfully fishing and one avocet very protectively looking after a relatively small offspring. Both parents noted in an early photo. Vegetation easily hides birds. Water levels low.

Last edited:
Today's highlights at the Flashes and Moors.

FLASHES: Avocet (44) including a sitting bird, Black T Godwit, LRP (10) including 4 juvs - 15 reported by AJP, Green Sand (3), Curlew (5), Lapwing (15), Oystercatcher (1), Shelduck (2) + 9 juvs, Kestrel.

MOORS: Avocet (1) + 1 chick, Common Sand (2), Common Tern (2) + 1 chick, Little Egret, Little Grebe (7), B H Gull (c150), Sparrowhawk, Teal (2), Lapwing (2), Tufted Duck brood of 2, Mute Swan (2) + 5 juvs.

Des.

Wonderful relaxing morning 54 birds,moors highlights 2 little egret, Lapwing, at least 5 cettis warbler calling.
North moors rook.
From the Jacob's hide Avocet and chick.
Salwarpe path full of life dragon flies, damsel flies etc
Sailing pool swallows, house martin green woodpecker.
Flashes 6 curlew, common sandpipers, green sandpipers, Black tailed godwit, Avocets and kestrel.

Hi Tim,
There's something you said in your post that clarified my unease at visiting Upton Warren in the last few months, the word 'relaxing'!
I've come to realise that my almost daily visits (the joys of retirement) have been anything but and have been filled with some anxiety about the disaster that is befalling our beloved Upton Warren - the deaths of hundreds, if not more, of Gulls, wildfowl and geese due to avian flue, followed by a complete collapse of breeding success of Avocets, Oystercatchers, Lapwing, Little Ringed Plover, the obvious impacts of Climate change, alien species, collapsing bird populations generally, predator numbers etc etc
I know some have delighted in the dying of Black Headed Gulls, perceived as a nuisance and far too common - the passenger pigeon was the same once, but what troubles me more than anything is that these elephants in the room hardly ever get a mention on social media or here.
We seem to be more obsessed with finding something scarce or adding to.our lists than anything else (I am guilty of this). I can't say it was a pleasure being lucky enough to be there when the Spotted Sandpiper arrived as that was just another distraction.
Add to that the constant spurious sightings on Twitter and Birdtrack, the petty bickering between birders and the Trust also on Social media. I've come to the conclusion I've had enough of it and won't be going to Upton Warren anymore.
The above is not meant negatively against the volunteers or John/Paul or indeed the Trust in anyway. It's just the whole Birding scene fuelled by social media is largely reduced to a lower form of competitive stamp collecting or getting the best photograph. The only emphasis you see are of lost or increasingly scarce birds being seen. Hardly anything about the crisis UW is facing or come to it any other nature reserve. What's the problem and what are we going to do about it! Regrettably the answer will largely be (in small sound bites on Twitter) it's all the Trusts fault!
Sorry Tim I'm not ranting at you!
Anyway, my last post on here and I'm not coming back to read the inevitable vitriol. All I would ask (although who am I to make such a request!) Is that people get behind John and the Trust.
Good luck
Gert

It's the same story at Sandwell not much success in breeding this year No Lapwing chicks as yet No Oystercatcher chicks as yet Hardly any Black headed gulls around this year.
After the avian flu disaster I think it's going to take a few years just to get back to normal (what we were used too a couple of years ago)
But will say everyone at Upton Warren need your support to keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back