• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Just so people can see what a continental cormorant looks like who haven't got a book with the said species in

1 - was taken by Ruthie on 4 Feb 2011

Also here is a link to a forum about Cormorants http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=106673

It was a very white head - how did it seem to you Vern?

...just had a read of the thread - clearly more to it than the white (doh!). I think I took some rubbishy snaps, I'll pull them out later.

Last edited:
A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As some of you may be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Many Thanks
Jason

Repost...for those who may not have seen this earlier

Regarding the Cormorant, this photo was taken 12-1-13 on the Moors.

Same bird maybe.:smoke:

Chris

Attachments

• corm 4 copy.jpg
    corm 4 copy.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 112
Today at the Moors

Great afternoon at the reserve with good company and lots of birds, though nothing unusual.
A solitary male Wigeon slept his way through the afternoon. Cormorants and BHG were very nervous and kept taking to the wing with Sparrowhawks ripping across the pool. Also lots of large gulls, mainly Herring with a few LBBG. Lots of Redwing and Fieldfare came in later came in to roost but no sign of the Bittern by 5pm.
Birder Gladys showed me loads of pics of birds I've never seen plus pics of Bruno the rat who lives by the base of the feeders. He's the one with the nice pink ears and dark bottom in case you're wondering.
Best of all the sun came out and bathed the place in a warm glow...magic. Sometimes it's not just about the birds!:t:

Great afternoon at the reserve with good company and lots of birds, though nothing unusual.
A solitary male Wigeon slept his way through the afternoon. Cormorants and BHG were very nervous and kept taking to the wing with Sparrowhawks ripping across the pool. Also lots of large gulls, mainly Herring with a few LBBG. Lots of Redwing and Fieldfare came in later came in to roost but no sign of the Bittern by 5pm.
Birder Gladys showed me loads of pics of birds I've never seen plus pics of Bruno the rat who lives by the base of the feeders. He's the one with the nice pink ears and dark bottom in case you're wondering.
Best of all the sun came out and bathed the place in a warm glow...magic. Sometimes it's not just about the birds!:t:

Had to leave the Caspo Gull appreciation society in the west hide this evening, to do the count from the east hide, alone.8-P
I didn't realise how many people saw it.:-C

Had to leave the Caspo Gull appreciation society in the west hide this evening, to do the count from the east hide, alone.8-P
I didn't realise how many people saw it.:-C

It don't really help knowing that I was not the only one of the Friday regulars that missed it. However, taking a more philosophical view today the Water Rail was very visible from the concrete hide this morning and as Bob says its not always about the birds. The company / conversation in the hide was most enjoyable.

p.s. 2 Shelduck on the Moors at first light

Attachments

• 7D_018764.jpg
    7D_018764.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 7D_018773.jpg
    7D_018773.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 75
  • 7D_018776.jpg
    7D_018776.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7D_018815.jpg
    7D_018815.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 69
Got a full 9 hours in today, entirely at the Moors. The cold SW breeze made the 10 degrees C feel much colder. The water level had dropped 5cm since 14th, below the desired winter level of 0.75 and I closed the sluice. There are good areas of fresh mud in the SW marsh, looking good for water pipits.

The Mealy Redpoll again showed in the NE alders, but the redpoll flock were mobile than of late. The food supply must be diminishing as the flock were feeding on the east track and also in alders at the side of the tool shed.
From the east hide the jack snipe was ‘bouncing’ on the promontory, where several common snipe roosted. Throughout the day most of the duck slept, making it difficult to get a true count. Several first winter Herring gulls were ever present on the pool, occasionally being joined by adults. Later, in the evening, many more flew north to roost at Bartley. The other high profile species was water rail, today they were literally all over the reserve. Many were calling, but a good few also performed to the crowd. Although most of the duck were sleeping throughout the day, I got the feeling that there were good numbers of pochard. This made me decide not to go on to the Flashes to check out the state of the roost. Instead I took up position in the east hide this evening, to count the duck and look for the Bittern, the latter was a no show. But the Pochard were in good numbers, as was the mixed thrush starling roost along the east side.
Species count at Moors:
Little grebe, cormorant 43 ( 2 summer plumaged birds), mute swan 5, shoveler 35+, teal 40+, wigeon male, shelduck pr, mallard 50, pochard 53, tufted 45, coot 20, water rail 15 around Moors and causeway. Jack snipe, snipe 20, curlew 20, lapwing 20, BHG c100, Herring gull 15 on deck plus 100+ over head, LBBG 2, buzzard 2, sparrowhawk 2, stock dove 2, Raven, great sp woodp 2, song thrush 2 singing, fieldfare 250 (roosted), starling 60 ( some roosted), redwing 30 roosted, cettis 2 singing, Mealy redpoll, lesser redpoll 30,
Reed bunting several away from the feeding station were c10 seen.
B :)John

It don't really help knowing that I was not the only one of the Friday regulars that missed it. However, taking a more philosophical view today the Water Rail was very visible from the concrete hide this morning and as Bob says its not always about the birds. The company / conversation in the hide was most enjoyable.

Agreed AlanB :)

Species count at Moors:
Little grebe, cormorant 43 ( 2 summer plumaged birds), mute swan 5, shoveler 35+, teal 40+, wigeon male, shelduck pr, mallard 50, pochard 53, tufted 45, coot 20, water rail 15 around Moors and causeway. Jack snipe, snipe 20, curlew 20, lapwing 20, BHG c100, Herring gull 15 on deck plus 100+ over head, LBBG 2, buzzard 2, sparrowhawk 2, stock dove 2, Raven, great sp woodp 2, song thrush 2 singing, fieldfare 250 (roosted), starling 60 ( some roosted), redwing 30 roosted, cettis 2 singing, Mealy redpoll, lesser redpoll 30,
Reed bunting several away from the feeding station were c10 seen.
B :)John

Reports of 8 Mute Swan and 4 Shelduck present yesterday - perhaps the additional birds were at the Sailing Pool / Flashes?

Reports of 8 Mute Swan and 4 Shelduck present yesterday - perhaps the additional birds were at the Sailing Pool / Flashes?

Phil,

When I got to the Sailing pool yesterday about 11.30 there were three Mute Swans (two of whom had red rings - the other's legs were hidden beneath the water) and one Shelduck. An hour later at the Moors I saw a pair of Swans and a pair of Shelduck. I assumed they were different birds.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back