• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

John there was also a Male Shoveler present briefly. The Oycs brood of 3 appeared to be on the Broadmeadow pool earlier. At least 2 Juvenile Kingfisher on Thursday.

Rob

Rob
I did see 3 oycs flying in the distance and assumed they were the family with the single chick. It looked like they were coming down on the A38 field, so perhaps that's where they wereB :).

Just to put the reserve in a national context, here is the status of Upton Warren in relation to those species monitored by the Rare Bird Breeding Panel. The stats are taken from the latest report available on line (2009); if anyone subscribes to British Birds can they advise of the updated figures from the published 2010 report:

Gadwall - 1 pair (up to 1,860 pairs in 2009; 5 year mean of 1,684 pairs)
Water Rail - potentially as many as 6 pairs (minimum of 1,187 territories in 2009; 4 year mean of 1,108 breeding pairs)
Avocet - 13 pairs (1,693 pairs in 2009; 5 year mean of 1,492 pairs)
Little Ringed Plover - 3 pairs (601 pairs in 2009; 5 year mean of 717 pairs)
Cetti's Warbler - hopefully 2 pairs (2,347 singng males / territories in 2009; 5 year mean of 1,876 breeding pairs)

With a breeding population now only a third the size of that of Avocet and seemingly in decline on a national basis, the work parties will continue to create and reinvigour suitable breeding and feeding habitats for Little Ringed Plover.

Just to put the reserve in a national context, here is the status of Upton Warren in relation to those species monitored by the Rare Bird Breeding Panel. The stats are taken from the latest report available on line (2009); if anyone subscribes to British Birds can they advise of the updated figures from the published 2010 report:

Gadwall - 1 pair (up to 1,860 pairs in 2009; 5 year mean of 1,684 pairs)
Water Rail - potentially as many as 6 pairs (minimum of 1,187 territories in 2009; 4 year mean of 1,108 breeding pairs)
Avocet - 13 pairs (1,693 pairs in 2009; 5 year mean of 1,492 pairs)
Little Ringed Plover - 3 pairs (601 pairs in 2009; 5 year mean of 717 pairs)
Cetti's Warbler - hopefully 2 pairs (2,347 singng males / territories in 2009; 5 year mean of 1,876 breeding pairs)

With a breeding population now only a third the size of that of Avocet and seemingly in decline on a national basis, the work parties will continue to create and reinvigour suitable breeding and feeding habitats for Little Ringed Plover.

Updated figures Phil.

Gadwall was not included in the 2010 report.

Water Rail-- 1032 pairs: 5 year mean of 1052
Avocet -- 1629 pairs : 5 year mean 0f 1545
LRP -- 703 pairs : 5 year mean of 704
Cettis's Warbler - 1907 : 5 year mean of 1991

Des.

I was wondering what as happened to all the bird sighting list that used to appear on here people like myself who can only get to the reserve once a week or people who can do like wise once a month or maybe just visit once or twice a year do like to see what species are around and how many or do you all put them in the books in hides these days.

I know many people like to see how many chicks there are but some do like to know what other species are around these days not trying to upset anyone but was just wondering?

I was wondering what as happened to all the bird sighting list that used to appear on here people like myself who can only get to the reserve once a week or people who can do like wise once a month or maybe just visit once or twice a year do like to see what species are around and how many or do you all put them in the books in hides these days.

I know many people like to see how many chicks there are but some do like to know what other species are around these days not trying to upset anyone but was just wondering?

Hi Adrian - I personally dont record every species because a hardcore of 40-50 species are always present (Carrion Crow, Green Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Greenfinch, Blackbird, Reed Bunting etc etc) and that these birds can also be seen in many other locations. I feel little would be gained for noting them on every visit; however I do flag interesting behaviour / notable numbers / family parties etc. In my sightings I try and focus on species that are unusual for the reserve or that Upton Warren is noted for (eg waders and wildfowl).

Adrian
this time of year very little is on the move. If you look at the regional and national sites you will notice a dearth of news. So we concentrate on the breeders. It is also a good time to survey singing birds. This helps monitor how the management work is progressing. . Like phil said we always monitor waders wildfowl and gulls/terns. Summer migrants such as hirundine swifts and raptors. B :)john

(must remember not to use text speak wen on this forum

Last edited:
I understand where you both are coming from I was just wondering why so few people put sightings on here these days sorry Phil I didn't mean all species seen just the more unusual ones thanks for your quick replies

I understand where you both are coming from I was just wondering why so few people put sightings on here these days sorry Phil I didn't mean all species seen just the more unusual ones thanks for your quick replies

Thats the thing....there aint none......I think summer is the time to drop in and just take in all the species..birds and others.
I too drop in here and feel low that there are not many reports.

To change tack...are the 2nd run of reports ready to be picked up....
Keith :t:

In front of the hen pool 4 reed warblers sang in a very narrow area of reeds, also a kingfisher flew over.
Onto the main hide, where we had lost another Avocet chick , this being from the youngest brood originally of 2. There are now 33 chicks from 12 broods ranging in age from 50 to 6 days. With at least 17 flying to varying degrees.
There were still 23 adults at least. The one missing species was the Oystercatchers, no sound or sight. Well for nearly 2 hours there wasn't, then I heard an adult 'piping' and saw it and the 2 chicks barging through the BHG's on the grassy area between the 2nd and 3rd Flash. The LRP chick was still alive, although BHG's, avocet's and marauding LBBG's meant it was being brooded for the majority of time.
More BHG chicks are emerging from their undergrowth nests and a green sand fed in the 'delta' channels.B :)

and male grey wag on the sailing pool.

A common sand flew low over Sailing Pool on Sunday plus a green sand was at flashes early am.

Not the place to post this but thought some might find it interesting Re: bird behaviour.

A friend's brother ownes a factory and ....

Outside his office was a steel bin full of heavy castings, they noticed a Wagtail had built a nest in it, a few days later he got to work and found the bin had gone and the adults wandering about with food. Later that day the scrap company phoned him and said they had found a nest in the bin, so they bought it back from Tipton and put it back. Straight away the parents started feeding the youngsters again...........amazing !!!....

Yes I find is astounding....

Live update from a cool cloudy moors. 1st bad news. There was no sign of the LRP chick at the FLashes. I wont have time to check it out but the two lads who told me know what they're doing. I just hope they had a blind moment(not blonde one). Now the good news. Terns have got two broods. One as predicted on the west raft and one on the main shingle island . 4 broods of tufted. Two lapwing chicks are on the west side of the Broadmeadow pool.n of the
also on site
GCG 8, + 2 juvs, Little Grebe 2 juvs + 2 ads, teal 2, gadwall 2 ads no sig hobby was seen early pm. Kingfisher, swift 20, sand martin.

The North Moors trail is now fully walk-able. the lads strimmed it today.

Last edited:
Thats the thing....there aint none......I think summer is the time to drop in and just take in all the species..birds and others.
I too drop in here and feel low that there are not many reports.

To change tack...are the 2nd run of reports ready to be picked up....

One has been reserved for you Keith, still awaiting delivery.:t:

First visit to Upton for far too long today!

Most of what we saw has been covered, LRP chick did appear to have been lost with both adults seen for an extended period of time not attending any chick.

Most interesting for me was a slightly odd calling warbler along the east track at the moors, singing from where the track comes away from the road and heads down to the east hide, has anyone else noted this bird?

Sounds almost Whitethroat like at times but something doesn't seem quite right, certaintly not like any Whitethroat I've ever heard!

You should be able to listen to a recording of it here https://soundcloud.com/timmyjones1234/upton-mystery

Let me know what you think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back