• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Spent a nice couple of hours at the moors,the concrete and the new hide.However the Rat population:C, Are there any plans for controlling the vermin? I know its a nature reserve,but the Mink have been controlled to a certain amount. John

Last edited:
The Jack Snipe was showing at the Moors from the East hide at around 4:15, as it came out of the weeds on the 'boat peninsular' to bathe in the shallow water, giving decent views. 2 Water Rail were fighting to the left of the hide. Good numbers of both Teal and Lapwings. No sign of the Bittern up to 4:45
MB

Not about Upton but of local importance....

The local council is considering planning permission to turn former pastoral land along Heath Lane Shenstone into a permanant site for Travelling Show People.

This is an area I have monitored for the last six years as my local patch and is home to a number of Red Data breeding birds such as Corn Bunting, Grey Partridge and Yellowhammer.

The Shenstone area holds Worcestershires largest breeding population of Corn Buntings and this proposed development could have a catastrophic effect as it impacts on some of the breeding territories!

I am currently liasing with residents and helping in the compaign against this proposal and would be grateful if you could read my blog post on this issue and hopefully lend some support by objecting to the proposal via the link within the page.

Cheers Jase

http://shenstonebirder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/important-permanant-traveller-site.html

The local council is considering planning permission to turn former pastoral land along Heath Lane Shenstone into a permanant site for Travelling Show People.

This is an area I have monitored for the last six years as my local patch and is home to a number of Red Data breeding birds such as Corn Bunting, Grey Partridge and Yellowhammer.

The Shenstone area holds Worcestershires largest breeding population of Corn Buntings and this proposed development could have a catastrophic effect as it impacts on some of the breeding territories!

I am currently liasing with residents and helping in the compaign against this proposal and would be grateful if you could read my blog post on this issue and hopefully lend some support by objecting to the proposal via the link within the page.

Cheers Jase

http://shenstonebirder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/important-permanant-traveller-site.html

done, thanks for bringing this to our attention Jase

There is a statutory requirement for the local authority's planning department to carry out an environmental impact assessment if any development is likely to adversely affect rare or protected species. They are obliged to inform the county wildlife trust of their plans and what they propose for mitigation.
I would hope they will also be in contact with Natural England and the RSPB.

Last edited:

Cheers Jase

my objection to these obscene plans has been lodged

A few more pics:

1. Fox & Grey Heron face off.
2. Curlews keep an eye out.
3. Long Tailed Tit
4. Linnets

Attachments

• _ROB5722 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5722 - Version 2.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 92
  • _ROB5732 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5732 - Version 2.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 96
  • LTT.jpg
    LTT.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 80
  • _ROB5465 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5465 - Version 2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 74

Cheers Jase

My objection to the proposal has been submitted Jason.

Des.

Tried to pm you. No luck.

Just to add to my earlier comments, badgers and badger setts are protected by law. They (the local authority or agents acting on their behalf) have to undertake a survey and produce a mitigation statement. Bat roosts are also protected.
Also know from my time with the B'ham & BCWT this was the procedure with regards to black redstart nest sites.
Have they contacted the Worcs WT and Natural England? If so, what was the response? Would have thought there would be a number of objections.

Cheers Jase

If I could just encourage others to step up and sign this. I know many people visit the area for their annual 'tick' of Corn Bunting. The area in question is where The Ring Ouzel dropped in last Spring, as well as Whinchat and Red starts, which were all well 'twitched'..It takes much less time to log an objection than it does to drive there :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back