• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Here are a few of my photographs from my last 2 visits to the reserve, I would like someone to help ID the insect photograph taken around the North Moors Pool on the day of the all dayer.
The Canada Goose photograph was taken from the Avocet Hide through fog so I am really happy with the outcome of the end image, Grey Wagtail taken 13th September from Avocet Hide along with the Kingfisher & Green Sandpiper.

Kind Regrads

Adrian

Attachments

• UPTON WARREN (1).JPG
    UPTON WARREN (1).JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 104
  • UPTON WARREN (8).JPG
    UPTON WARREN (8).JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 108
  • UPTON WARREN (10).JPG
    UPTON WARREN (10).JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 82
  • UPTON WARREN NEW (5).JPG
    UPTON WARREN NEW (5).JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 91
  • UPTON WARREN NEW (13).JPG
    UPTON WARREN NEW (13).JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Nice one Steve - Garden Warbler is a good record in September

Just to let you know, I was at The Flashes yesterday late morning/early pm and there was also a Garden Warbler flitting about and occasionally singing from the scrub to the right of the new hide

Cheers
Jase

Last edited:
Ospreys now breed in a number of locations in England (eg Rutland, Bassenthwaite) and Wales as well as their heartland of Scotland. Non-breeding birds have lingered in such locations as Blithfield Res in recent years. It would be interesting to know if this bird is now a County record though (Brian?)

Hi Phil,

In 2001 there was a long stayer at Trimpley Reservoir that was (officially recorded) from 8th August to the 28th August (so 20 days). Although the WMBC annual report goes on to say that afterwards a number of locals confirmed that the bird had been present since June. Can't help with their dates though

I saw this bird for my first time in late July that year after the fishing bailiff told me about and pointed out where it was perching in a dead tree over the river (below Hawkbatch). I went on to see it a couple more times in the August

Jase

Here are a few of my photographs from my last 2 visits to the reserve, I would like someone to help ID the insect photograph taken around the North Moors Pool on the day of the all dayer.
The Canada Goose photograph was taken from the Avocet Hide through fog so I am really happy with the outcome of the end image, Grey Wagtail taken 13th September from Avocet Hide along with the Kingfisher & Green Sandpiper.

Kind Regrads

Adrian

Looks like a Common Darter.

Des.

Kind Regrads

Adrian

I think the dragonfly in the photo is a female Black Darter as they are golden in colour. The males are black. (Sympetrum danae). This website is excellent for ID with some stunning images:
http://www.dragonfly-images.co.uk/#/black-darter/4531918202

I think the dragonfly in the photo is a female Black Darter as they are golden in colour. The males are black. (Sympetrum danae). This website is excellent for ID with some stunning images:

Sorry, it is a Common Darter, as Des says. Black Darters occupy Acidic Bogs , habitat that is virtually non existent at present in Worcs, as is the Black Darter unfortunately.One of the few places it is likely to occur, Hartlebury Common, is still too dry by the looks of it.

Last edited:

I hate to join in on the parade raining but it's definitely a Common Darter as Des quite rightly said.

To my knowledge, there has only ever been 1 sighting of Black Darter in the county and as mentioned by Woodwolf this was at the Bog Pool at the lowland heath of Hartlebury Common (which is not looking particularily good this year)

Jase

Last edited:
Help needed to find out what species this is taken by mistake as I was panning round to get the Grey Wagtail sorry about the very, very poor image but any help would be gratefully recieved

It was taken from the Avocet Hide and sitting on the wire fence by the insect nets

Kind regards

Adrian

Attachments

• ZZZ (553).JPG
    ZZZ (553).JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 172
Help needed to find out what species this is taken by mistake as I was panning round to get the Grey Wagtail sorry about the very, very poor image but any help would be gratefully recieved

It was taken from the Avocet Hide and sitting on the wire fence by the insect nets

Kind regards

Adrian

My guess it's a Blackcap.

Max

We saw it on top of the boat mast, it then took its first fish at 6.50, went to the Flashes to eat it, last seen at around 8.30am heading towards Tardebigge

The osprey seems to have headed for the Moors as I saw it after 9.00 being mobbed by gulls but it apparently fished at the North Moors Pool taking a fish at the first attempt. It then returned to the Flashes for its usual postprandial preen and pose. Presumably it avoided the sailing pool because of all the boating activity. There was a gaggle of disappointed photographers waiting to catch it there.

Has it been seen fishing in the North Moors Pool before?

Peter

I hate to join in on the parade raining but it's definitely a Common Darter as Des quite rightly said.

To my knowledge, there has only ever been 1 sighting of Black Darter in the county and as mentioned by Woodwolf this was at the Bog Pool at the lowland heath of Hartlebury Common (which is not looking particularily good this year)

Jase

There have been a two records in the last four years (2008-2011), which you can see on Mike Averill's website . There was also a record in the '90's in the Redditch area.:t:

Des.

The osprey seems to have headed for the Moors as I saw it after 9.00 being mobbed by gulls but it apparently fished at the North Moors Pool taking a fish at the first attempt. It then returned to the Flashes for its usual postprandial preen and pose. Presumably it avoided the sailing pool because of all the boating activity. There was a gaggle of disappointed photographers waiting to catch it there.

Has it been seen fishing in the North Moors Pool before?

Peter

Yes Peter on several occasions. It fished more there than the sailing pool when it first appeared.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back