• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading from Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

I was thinking about asking the forum about how should I upgrade from the Nikon ED50 right before it separates tonight (I post in another thread in spotting scope: Nikon.). So it is time to really think about it.
Could you please suggest what should be the next step (in terms of image quality) I should upgrade from the ED50? What I like about this one is its portability and also very good optics. I am not really ready to spend $2000 plus for the alpha models yet. Probably around $1000 -+. For the size, I think I am ok with 80s mm class although smaller would be nice too and if possible I would like to go more than 30x for magnification (hopefully in the range of 50-60x with a good image). I am very sensitive to CA so good optics with no or very little CA would be preferable. I notice a strong CA at the edge of the subject with the 50ed when the subject is in the shadow against a bright sky. Other than that the 50ED seems to control CA very well. Hopefully, the next spotting scope I get would be stronger than the 50ED and won't separate!

Is there a really good spotting scope that takes the astro eyepiece well? This is not mandatory but also nice to have so that I could go to higher than 60X.

I have been reading the review from both Audubon and All about Birds reviews. Still can't decide on the mid-level spotting scope. Nikon 82ED seems very nice but not sure if I would have other options in this price range.

I got the C90 (39x) a few days ago and have been testing with the 50ED (10-30x EP, using at 30x). C90 has lower contrast and less color saturation and is slightly softer than the 50ED. I think it works better for a shadowed subject with the bright sky in the back. The nice part of this one is that we can use a shorter astro eyepiece for higher magnification. I try both photography and video with this C90 with 4/3 cameras and the image seems to be soft (still better than digiscope, I think). It could be due the slow shutter speed I have to use (F14) and it is very hard to micro-focus it especially when the birds are not still.

Thank you so much for your help,

Passakorn

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back