• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird and song, please help with ID - Scaling Dam, North Yorkshire, England (1 Viewer)

Yesterday morning I had a good look through binoculars at a bird in a tree near Scaling Dam, North Yorkshire. It had its back to me and I could see clearly its upper back/neck was bright ginger. When it turned its head I could also see the ginger was on the side of its neck and cheeks. On its lower back it had a very bright turquoise/green patch. The bird was thrush/starling sized.

In the afternoon from the same tree I noticed a song I had never heard before. The sighting and the sound may or may not be connected. At this time I did not see the bird making the sound. The sound was exactly like a referees whistle. Just a single tone for about 4 or 5 seconds then 10 seconds silence.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

contact call - the Pink, pink one
That call isn't like a referee's whistle. I'd guess that, if it was a chaffinch, it would be the call often known as the 'rain call'; it's never occurred to me to compare that to a referee's whistle, but I guess at a (big) push one might do.

Last edited:
I agree with all about the whistle, but the description of the birds look with a contrasting greenish rump and ginger back and sides of the head fits a Chaffinch.
I am no expert in referees whistle, but please have a look at you local toy store if lockdown admits this. You may be surprised.

Chaffinch have a longish drawn out "alert / alarm " call, particularly when nesting and an intruder is nearby. Used to alert an incubating female and or nestlings. There aren't that many other passerines that have a noticeable greenish rump - perhaps Greenfinch.

Lads and ladies some of you aren't paying full attention.

The poster Black Heron wrote "In the afternoon from the same tree I noticed a song I had never heard before. The sighting and the sound may or may not be connected. At this time I did not see the bird making the sound. The sound was exactly like a referees whistle. Just a single tone for about 4 or 5 seconds then 10 seconds silence."

Black Heron is NOT associating the whistle sound with the bird as he DID NOT see this bird.

So hence my guess at Grasshopper Warbler.

It could be a completely different bird.

Lads and ladies some of you aren't paying full attention.

The poster Black Heron wrote "In the afternoon from the same tree I noticed a song I had never heard before. The sighting and the sound may or may not be connected. At this time I did not see the bird making the sound. The sound was exactly like a referees whistle. Just a single tone for about 4 or 5 seconds then 10 seconds silence."

Black Heron is NOT associating the whistle sound with the bird as he DID NOT see this bird.

So hence my guess at Grasshopper Warbler.

It could be a completely different bird.

Doesn't sound like a grasshopper warbler to me, Richie. Perhaps a greenfinch giving the 'tswee' call? Though 4-5 seconds is a bit long for individual calls.

Thanks for all your replies.

I am somewhat embarrassed to realise the bird sighting was in fact a male Chaffinch albeit a rather flamboyant one!

The whistle I heard is another matter. Obviously you are all at a disadvantage having not heard it and can only go on my description. I understand several birds are very good mimics and my guess is a Song Thrush is in the habit of going to watch the local football matches. It is difficult to imagine the sound I heard could have come from the lungs of a small bird. I regret not having a better look at the tree at the time but the only bird I noticed was a Nuthatch.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back