• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unknown bird scotland (1 Viewer)

mags1967

went up north of scotland aug this year.took shots of this bird,pics not good as it was a distance away.hope some of you keen eyed birders can tell me its the bird i went up to see.then i know my birding skills are getting better.this newbie thanks anyone in advance.:t:

Last edited:
As another newbie, fingered wing tips and size of them in relation to body seem to poin to a BOP of some type...

That's as far as I can get but v interested to see responses

this bird just caught my eye when i was looking at the scenery.i tried taking some pics just to see coz at first i thought gull but it just seemed different some how.then when i looked at the pics even though their terrible i thought this could be the ospreys i came here to see.would just be nice to know my birding eye is improving with alot more to learn.

Ospreys often look as gulls in certain angles, like gliding away - a number of times I have called out "raptor!" only for it to morph into a "its only a gull" - and then to "its an Osprey!"

well so far so good,looks like my skills are improving,even if it,s only feeling there,s just something different about a bird.hopefully in time i will be able to put my finger on the difference and identify myself.then get confirmation from all you guys.all the best margaret.thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back