• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uk overwintering garden warbler? (1 Viewer)

Blackcaps overwinter (although they are from the German breeding population) and have a similar song; in my opinion this would be a more likely explanation, but, with birds, few things are impossible.

Also worth mentioning that many songbirds sometimes use subsong, which is often longer than the normal phrases.

There certainly are blackcaps around but my experience is their song is short, this was a continuous song for a minute maybe

I’ve had a male Blackcap my Stockport garden on and off since late Autumn.
Haven’t heard him singing yet this year

There certainly are blackcaps around but my experience is their song is short, this was a continuous song for a minute maybe
Yes, subsong is often more of a continuous subdued warble. My guess would be a subsinging Blackcap, I've heard overwintering birds starting to tune up in Feb.

Garden Warblers do winter but only rarely. This bird is much more likely to be a Blackcap indulging in a bit of early subsong - the male wintering around my area started yesterday and had moved on to almost full song in the sun today.

A blackcap has been singing every morning in my garden since a week ago. As confirmed by my birdsong app. Never noticed it in previous years this early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back