• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Blackbird with a yellow head (1 Viewer)

El CID

Seen this morning for a short period a bird that looked like a blackbird with a yellow head and neck,it was in local hedgerow.
Is this possible?

Many years ago I met a birder late May/June on Scilly and during conversation he mentioned that he had seen a Yellow-headed Blackbird in the Wirral during a previous Autumn, and that he'd submitted the record to BBRC. I believe as is often the case, it was rejected, albeit that he was a competent seasoned birder. Not sure of the circumstances concerning that particular submission, save that he mentioned the escape possibility being suggested. Can anyone comment on this species status as far as captivity is concerned?

Many years ago I met a birder late May/June on Scilly and during conversation he mentioned that he had seen a Yellow-headed Blackbird in the Wirral during a previous Autumn, and that he'd submitted the record to BBRC. I believe as is often the case, it was rejected, albeit that he was a competent seasoned birder. Not sure of the circumstances concerning that particular submission, save that he mentioned the escape possibility being suggested. Can anyone comment on this species status as far as captivity is concerned?

It is a shame that all such records are rejected and dismissed as escapees.

Many thanks,I will return and hopefully it will return for its photograph to be taken

Let us know if it returns. Even if it turns out to be an escapee. It is worthy of note. Good luck in your search.

CB

There was a spate of yellow-headed blackbirds (aka custard-headed blackbirds a year or so back), which were thought to be Cowbirds at one stage. Immature Blackbirds they turned out to be...

Just checking that the bird seen in this case couldn't turn out to be a particularly bright young Blackbird ... if it was yellowish that is rather than a bright primary yellow ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back