• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two water plants, please can you ID? (1 Viewer)

creedence

These two plants were found in a freshwater ditch in Sussex. I find water plants very difficult, I am happy to hear any ideas as to what they could be.

Attachments

• C0A238E1-1A2F-42DE-A7EE-A9379E425F5D.jpeg
    C0A238E1-1A2F-42DE-A7EE-A9379E425F5D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • E68D6E2A-0556-4F1D-98C2-815F75917A61.jpeg
    E68D6E2A-0556-4F1D-98C2-815F75917A61.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
The left-hand one looks like Callitriche as well.
Without fruit, they are difficult to impossible for everyone!
From a picture in their original setting, I could possibly narrow it down, but a mess in a bowl throws me completely...

The left-hand one looks like Callitriche as well.
Without fruit, they are difficult to impossible for everyone!
From a picture in their original setting, I could possibly narrow it down, but a mess in a bowl throws me completely...
Thanks aeshna5 and Xenopspiza. I appreciate the difficulties of trying to ID these when they are out of context. The right hand one is very small so perhaps not Callitriche? The other looks similar to Callitriche, but different to my photo in the post about 14 below this one. They appear to still be alive in their respective containers, but far too early for flowers I think.

Callitriche stagnalis (Common Water-Starwort) is usually small in comparison to other starworts and is therefore not too hard to identify (but its best feature is that it often grows on land).
In Sussex, obtusangulata, platycarpa and brutia are the main "bigger" water-starworts.
An additional issue with starworts is that they are not particularly prone to flowering!

Thanks again Xenospoiza. Here are two more pictures of the second plant (the right hand of the two pictures). In better light, with a ruler for scale and through a 2x hand lens.

Attachments

• C836F69D-66C2-4466-900E-5F757DEA5512.jpeg
    C836F69D-66C2-4466-900E-5F757DEA5512.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 72BCC8E2-1CDA-432D-B95E-FCF76E2E5F13.jpeg
    72BCC8E2-1CDA-432D-B95E-FCF76E2E5F13.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Second plant looks like a Galium to me, possible G. palustre, rather than an aquatic. As far as I can see the leaves are in whorls of 4, rather than in opposite pairs as in Callitriche. I agree with Callitriche sp. for the first one.

Second plant looks like a Galium to me, possible G. palustre, rather than an aquatic. As far as I can see the leaves are in whorls of 4, rather than in opposite pairs as in Callitriche. I agree with Callitriche sp. for the first one.
Interesting ID, perhaps the plant is only in the water as there had been a lot of rain. I’ll check on it again next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back