• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid hype (2 Viewers)

carpincho

United States
I received a Leitz Trinovid 8x20 on Saturday. It came in a plastic case/box but only displayed Leitz and Trinovid on the upper surface of the connecting piece between the lens tubes.After dusting off all glass surfaces, I compared it to a Celestron 8x21/Japan; a Tasco 8x22/Toei; a Visionking 7x28/China and a Swift/Trilyte 10x25/Korea. All of these four were equal to the Trinovid, and the Visionking much brighter. Needless to say, they all cost significantly less and looked to be as durable.I ordered the Trinovid to determine how marked was the quality of the Leitz product. I have several Leitz binoculars, all porros, among which there is a Binuxit 8x30 with a suprising brightness of view which I attribute to the polishing of glass. Brand-fanaticism and ego-involvement in such which I have observed in blogs (one in particular) have led me to wonder how much respect for the truth there is among those obsessed with "alphas", and for this reason I was led to purchasing the Trinovid.The very high prices for the "alphas" must bear some relation to higher quality, but not a brand label in itself. Among the compacts I compared to the Trinovid, I was most impressed with the Visionking 7x28,and I imagine that this is a clear indication of a future of Chinese and other Asian producers (Vietnamese, Korean,etc.) among the leaders in world optics.

"respect for the truth".......hmmmmmm

Let's start at the beginning.....Let's put things into perspective...Leitz changed to Leica around 1986 soooo....that Leitz 8X20 Trinovid is around 38 years old. Are your MIC binoculars from the same era? So you do have a 1986 "alpha" binocular and is of course not the equal to a recent model. I think ANY one here that is "obsessed with the alphas" would have directed you to purchase a more current model if you really wanted to experience the best performance an "alpha" has to offer.

Consider me obsessed! I personally think EVERYONE should have one of the Leica 8X20s! I love mine! But don't take my word for it.....

DSC01365.jpeg

Hi carpincho,

Adding to Chuck's observations . . .

The earliest Leitz 8x20 dates from 1975! And since then - besides significant improvements in anti-reflective coatings -
there was also the introduction of phase coating and dielectric prism coating for roof prism binoculars.
Both the prism coatings significantly increase RP performance (and are now standard even on low price RP binoculars).

To get some idea of the age of your 8x20, see the chronology and images at: Roof-Prism Leica Binoculars - Leica Wiki (English)
(click on the images to enlarge them).

John

p.s. Zeiss introduced phase coating in 1988, and dielectric coating in 1998. Both were quickly adopted by other manufacturers.
The Leica branding was first used on binoculars in 1990 with the introduction of the BA line.

Last edited:
A person with "respect for truth" should not be claiming that special "polishing" of glass can markedly improve transmission, or that a cheap plastic bin from China will be "as durable" as a Trinovid. A person with the slightest knowledge of optics should understand why a 7x28 will be brighter than an 8x20 in some conditions. A sensible person would not argue that alphas are overhyped by comparing a 40-year-old Leitz (with early multicoating, silver if not aluminum mirrors, and no phase correction) with even a cheap modern one. A person whose first posts in this forum repeatedly criticize online "narcissism", "egotism", "braggadocio", "idle chatter", etc should be more careful.

Last edited:
To get some idea of the age of your 8x20, see the chronology and images at: Roof-Prism Leica Binoculars - Leica Wiki (English)
(click on the images to enlarge them).

Thanks for re - posting that helpful link John. I was just about to embark on a search for it.

In addition to the other comments here, it may be that the OP got a sample with compromised lens and/or prism coatings. Even my older Leitz C models deliver an enjoyable, high quality image. The newer Leitz BC model with Trinovid badge on the bridge (as described by the OP) was the "second generation" I think which introduced pull up eyecups and probably better coatings as the image is slightly brighter and better overall that the C models in direct comparison.

Mike

though old binoculars stull have same structure with recent ones, but other methods are much improved today. much slower then electronic device (such as smartphone, TV...)
but still it is improved and will improved more.

many of the 20 centuries bino lack ED lens, full multi coating and even phase coating that recently even 100$ MIC binocular have.

Binoculars age slowly (Zeiss tfl which made in early 2000s is still better then most 1000$ optics made ten or more years later) but it is not totally age free.

Brand-fanaticism and ego-involvement in such which I have observed in blogs (one in particular) have led me to wonder how much respect for the truth there is among those obsessed with "alphas", and for this reason I was led to purchasing the Trinovid.The very high prices for the "alphas" must bear some relation to higher quality, but not a brand label in itself. Among the compacts I compared to the Trinovid, I was most impressed with the Visionking 7x28,and I imagine that this is a clear indication of a future of Chinese and other Asian producers (Vietnamese, Korean,etc.) among the leaders in world optics.
After reading this Revelation 13:1 came to my mind:
“And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.”

Wow. Well, hopefully you did not pay a very high price for this antique pair of binoculars. You are lucky perhaps. If, after such a cursory experience, I had concluded that "alphas" were not worth the money, then I would have saved a small fortune.

A person with "respect for truth" should not be claiming that special "polishing" of glass can markedly improve transmission, or that a cheap plastic bin from China will be "as durable" as a Trinovid. A person with the slightest knowledge of optics should understand why a 7x28 will be brighter than an 8x20 in some conditions. A sensible person would not argue that alphas are overhyped by comparing a 40-year-old Leitz (with early multicoating, silver if not aluminum mirrors, and no phase correction) with even a cheap modern one. A person whose first posts in this forum repeatedly criticize online "narcissism", "egotism", "braggadocio", "idle chatter", etc should be more careful.

Unfortunately there is all too much of the various plagues I mentioned. I became aware of such when collecting cameras and discovered brand-related fanaticism, a marked characteristic of American "culture". As for "cheap" Chinese products, perhaps you can remember when Nikon and Canon rangefinders were unknowns and Japan was viewed as a source of junk.

After reading this Revelation 13:1 came to my mind:
“And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.”
I've noted you've been on exceptionally fine form over the past few days...😉

I'm wondering if you've been indulging in a particular Easter libation from above the clouds which is affecting your joie de vivre...? 😇

I received a Leitz Trinovid 8x20 on Saturday.
Did you realize that Leitz disappeared decades ago, and even though the Trinovid moniker is still in use, modern references to them are most likely going to be Leica, with improved dielectric coating, phase correction and additional upgrades in all lens coatings? I'm asking because your posts seem to indicate unawareness, and also seem to have passed over other posts with the same information in them.

This is a wind up.... surely

You have a 40year old optic, probably never serviced, of which you know no history, and 'weirdly' it seems somewhat lacking today (but actually still functional after 40 years!!)
I had an original Golf GTI in the 80's....
My current diesel Audi estate is better in every way...... How can this possibly be:unsure:

I've noted you've been on exceptionally fine form over the past few days...😉

I'm wondering if you've been indulging in a particular Easter libation from above the clouds which is affecting your joie de vivre...? 😇
Thanks, must be the magic Eastern Eggs with mushrooms 🍄

This morning i used my Leitz Trinovid 7x35 again with great joy in a forest. Ok, maybe somewhat dimmer than modern binoculars but the sharpness, contrast and build quality are really outstanding. This picture is from a few months ago as the 8x20 is no longer in my possession.

IMG_0229.jpeg

Last edited:
Thotmosis, post 19,
Your Leica Trinovid 7x35B is from around 1981 (Gary Hawkins list from 2007) and is in no way comparable with the 7x35 Retrovid from 2023 as far as transmission and image brilliance is concerned.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back