• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinidad-Tobago 25/9/08-4/10/08 (2 Viewers)

Jaeger01

My best buddie (wife) of some 50 years and I are going to T&T for the above dates, booked thru Caligo, staying at Asa Wright (Trinidad) and Cuffie River (Tobago). Anyone got any advice, have read numerous trip reports but none for this time period.

Jaeger near Chicago

The best advice probably is to get hold of Murphy's book on T&T, where he describes something about the annual variation in the birdlife, and you have bar-graphs showing the abundance of different birds in T&T. Studying those and finding which ones you most like to see, and thereafter looking in the right habitat should be reasonably straight forward. I think I remember reading that there really is not a bad time to visit, but that there can be specific species that are only present at specific times. Caroni swamp for the Scarlet Ibis would be a must for me (even though for me, it would be second time).

Niels

Hey Jaeger,

Was just there for a mere 4 days on the ground based out of Asa Wright July 26-29 and had a great time! I had the same problem as you unable to find summer reports. At any rate, in 4 days I took trips up Blanchiseusse Rd, to Caroni Swamp, to Nariva Swamp (& Aripo Biological Station and Waller Field), and Matura Beach for sea turtles. To summarize, it was absolutely awesome with 169 bird species seen on the ground. I can send a species list if you'd like and I should have a more thorough annotated report available soon. I managed to post a bunch of photos to my flickr photo site here (again remember these were digiscoped in 4 busy days along with seeing the 169 species!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16435490@N00/

and posted my first blog post on the subject here:
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/leica

While this was my first experience here and I have no experience at other times of the year, I feel very comfortable suggesting you will enjoy the experience very much. The staff at Asa Wright were top notch and the excursions we went on were great fun! Contact me privately if you have further questions.

Best,

Jeff

Jaeger,

How was the trip?

I am currently looking to do this trip with Caligo in early April 2009.

Any pros/cons on Caligo? I've been looking for good (and bad) reviews of Caligo on line.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back