• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The White House and a Bald Eagle (1 Viewer)

TwoDipsfromAmsterdam

Anything About?
Yesterday I had the dubious pleasure of birding Washington. Dubious? Well, the NW wind was ripping in at sub-zero temperatures with water from the Potomac freezing on hitting the ground around Hains Point. So, few birds showing themselves. But after watching a Red-tailed Hawk breakfast on a grey squirrel by the Jefferson Memorial I thought -"that's a very large Great
Black-backed Gull" in trees on the north side of the Tidal Basin. And lo, it transpired to be a full adult Bald Eagle. Just less than half a mile from the White House, the most magnificent bird the US has to offer - and its national bird so close to the home of the President.

I'd like to think it's been away for the last eight years and come home to roost. God bless America!

DiP

Glad to hear you had a good trip to the States and that you saw our beautiful national bird. Hmm half mile away..maybe it was leaving the area for the next four years. :)

Hello DIP,

Ben Franklin thought that the bald eagle was a poor choice to symbolise the United States, as he preferred the wild turkey! In any case, good bird.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back