• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Netherlands in September (1 Viewer)

Karl J

I'm visiting in September for about a week, and currently my list of places to possibly visit includes the Hoge Veluwe & the Waal river area near Nijmegen, the Naardemeer (& areas nearby .... Botshol etc), Oostvardersplassen and maybe the area around Edam /Volendam / Monnickendam

So now I'm looking for a bit of local knowledge, the 2 important questions being ...

Have i missed anywhere else good ?

What to especially look out for ? (Black Woodpecker (Dryocopus martius) , Red Kite (Milvus milvus), or any sp. Shrike (Lanius ...) would be particularly good :bounce: )

Or .... if you have any other thoughts /suggestions / ideas ... ???

The Red Kite is not a regular bird in the Netherlands.
Nearby the Oostvaardersplassen is a dike from Enkhuizen to Lelystad there you can see also birds ( ducks).
The Black woodpecker can you find in a forrest directly next the Zoo in Amersfoort.
Trough this forrest you can follow the bicycle road.
My own favourite place to go birding are the Zuid-Hollandse Eilanden en Zeeland.
Fore latest information about birds see the site of the Dutch Birding Association.
Its also in english.

greetings jan van Wensveen

Hi Jan.

The dike you mention (it's marked N302 on my map) fits in quite well with the ideas i have so far. Maybe a circular route around the Markermeer done over 2 or 3 days (???) sounds good .... i'll have a think ....

Amersfoort isn't too far away either, and looks like a nice little town to wander around for a while also .... thanks ... :t:

Carlos

Why not try visiting the island of Texel? I visited in July three years ago and had a great day cycling around but the locals said that autumn is THE time to visit Texel as it's a real migration hotspot. It's very easy to reach and travel around.

E

Carlos, i live pretty close to the Veluwe. Big forests so ofcourse a lot of forestral birds ( is that a word???)

I would advise you to go the the oostaardersplassen en lauwersmeer but those, especially the last one are a pretty long drive. Lauwersmeer is in the north and the osstvaardersplassen are in Flevoland. But hey everything in the netherlands is worth visiting :p

Some shrikes are breeding on certain places, like the Red-backed Shrike in Drenthe (Dwingelderveld i think).

Well if you're in the neigborhood let me know!

Thanks Eric & Edward, my original plan was for a week / 10 days but other commitments have taken priority so i've now only got 5 days in total.

And after coming across this website ...http://www.lauwersmeer.com .... i've decided to change plans completely and head up to the north of the country.

It looks a good area for cycling as well, which is as important as the birding

Thanks for the replies

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back