• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The hunter hunted ... but who is killing Scotland's birds of prey? (1 Viewer)

Joe North said:
Thanks Capercaillie for the URL. Even so, two eagles killed within the space of three months, almost certainly by accident, does not constitute suffucient reason for the near hysteria exhibited in some circles. Accidental, secondary poisoning does not even seem to have been suspected or investigated. Again, I wonder why? It is easy to generalise, and blame people for suspicion alone, just because they live in the area. How would some of the accusers feel if they were the subject of the suspicion, without proof. Fantasy works in all sorts of ways.

Why 'almost certainly'?

Last edited:
Joe North said:
Even so, two eagles killed within the space of three months, almost certainly by accident, does not constitute suffucient reason for the near hysteria exhibited in some circles.

I assume that by 'accident' you mean they were not the intended targets of the poison. That may well be the case, but if you choose to lay down a poisoned bait (and bear in mind that it is illegal even to be in possession of carbofuran) you have to accept responsibility for whatever is killed.

I would disagree with the suggestion that the death of two eagles in three months is not significant. In north-east Scotland there are fewer than 20 pairs of golden eagles and given the number of years that it takes before they are able to breed successfully, any unnatural mortality has a significant impact.

Joe North said:
Thanks Capercaillie for the URL. Even so, two eagles killed within the space of three months, almost certainly by accident, does not constitute suffucient reason for the near hysteria exhibited in some circles. Accidental, secondary poisoning does not even seem to have been suspected or investigated. Again, I wonder why? It is easy to generalise, and blame people for suspicion alone, just because they live in the area. How would some of the accusers feel if they were the subject of the suspicion, without proof. Fantasy works in all sorts of ways.

Sorry Joe but your use of the phrase "almost certainly by accident" is total and utter rubbish. Anyone living in the Highlands and laying down poisoned bait out in the open would know EXACTLY which species were present in the area could possibly take the bait, even if it was only one they were targeting.
You don't "accidently" kill anything when you stick a carcass laced with Carbofuran out in the open on a Scottish hillside, come on.

Is the shooting of Hen Harriers "an accident" too. Certainly the carcass I held in my hands a few years ago peppered with shot didn't look that way to me!

I can assure you there is no conspiracy going on.......the fact is that we still have a few folk who think they are above the law of the land and therefore decide to take it in to their own hands to kill species which are protected under international law, all because of selfish, outdated and misguided beliefs about land management.

And as for Highland Constabulary trudging around the hillsides looking for dead birds......... that would mean getting out of their air conditioned range rovers!!! (And so what if they were, they are the police, killing raptors is illegal and those doing it are criminals just the same as "city" criminals and its their job to catch them!)
Neither are there a troop of mysterious scouts out their sniffing out evidence. Luckily, as it happens, the hills are actually well used by no other than the general public, and you'll find that most of these cases are just stumbled upon accidently, when they happen to be near a track usually. This unfortunately would tend to suggest that there are actually far more which go undiscovered in less accessable areas too.

JP

Last edited:
Joe North said:

The only accident here was the keeper responsible for these 2 Eagle deaths wasn't caught at it and prosecuted.

While we're on the subject of accidental secondary poisoning, if you care to look back at my recent post #18, you'll see a photo of a Golden Eagle corpse, this bird was poisoned with Strychnine, (we had it tested), an highly illegal and indiscriminate poison to say the least, it can go on killing for a long time, even in minute amounts and is passed on down the food chain via scavengers etc. The death from this poison is not instantaneous and is extremely painfull to the victim. The area where this bird was found was nowhere near general farming areas and was in fact in the middle of a huge Scottish shooting estate, there are very few Red Grouse and there are no sheep on the hill in this area. Foxes would not have been the main target, we know the keeper in this area and know without actually catching him at it that he has been responsible for the demise of several Raptors over the years, including Goshawk, Peregrine and possible Osprey.

nirofo.

derekjake said:
TOTAL RUBBISH , COME TO SUFFOLK AFTER A DAY WITH ME YOU WOULD SLEEP OKAY AND IT WOULD NOT BE DUE TO BEING WEARY FROM CAR RIDEING

No, YOU come with me and do an 18 miler in and around the Glens of Deeside carrying my camera equipment, sound recording equipment and optics etc and YOU will know what is to be tired you arrogant man ! That's if it doesn't kill you. If you are a gamekeeper your ars:e is almost certainly welded to a Landrover seat, unless you are a deerstalker in the Highlands.

He-he

PS turn the volume down as Jane says eg. use LOWER CASE 3:)

griffin said:
No, YOU come with me and do an 18 miler in and around the Glens of Deeside carrying my camera equipment, sound recording equipment and optics etc and YOU will know what is to be tired you arrogant man ! That's if it doesn't kill you. If you are a gamekeeper your ars:e is almost certainly welded to a Landrover seat, unless you are a deerstalker in the Highlands.

He-he

PS turn the volume down as Jane says eg. use LOWER CASE 3:)
THERES AN OLD SAYING -- IT IS BETTER TO BE THOUGHT OF AS A FOOL THAN TO OPEN ONES MOUTH AND CONFIRM IT YOU JUST CONFIRMED IT HA-HA :t: :t: :'D

I once found a pair of Moorhens hanging on a barbed-wire fence along with several Corvids. Moorhens for goodness sake. :C What did they ever do to threaten the livelihood of a farmer?

Dave J

derekjake said:
THERES AN OLD SAYING -- IT IS BETTER TO BE THOUGHT OF AS A FOOL THAN TO OPEN ONES MOUTH AND CONFIRM IT YOU JUST CONFIRMED IT HA-HA :t: :t: :'D

That would be a matter of opinion. Pass the cheese (for my ears)

nirofo said:
Here's a few photo's of dead things found on keepered estates and farmed land. I have others but these will do for now!

nirofo.
Sickening. And the middle picture is NOT of a quarry species. No surprise that hoodies are becoming scarcer.

redeyedvideo said:
I once found a pair of Moorhens hanging on a barbed-wire fence along with several Corvids. Moorhens for goodness sake. :C What did they ever do to threaten the livelihood of a farmer?

Dave J[/QUOTE

I am not sure, but i have seen moorhen "control" in action on a reserve run by a major conservation body.

I have to say this is the most depressing and sorrowful thread I 've ever read. When on earth will this kind of thing stop. Don't the government give compensation to land owners and farmers for any loss of livestock to things like G/eagles WTSE etc. Surely there is no need to lay down bait the these birds, or any other predator.

This is very sicking to think people do this but i dont think everyone should blame all gamekeepers and farmers as not all farmers and gamekeepers do this and i think it is wrong to start calling all farmers lazy.
But to those people that do this sicking thing should be LOCKED up.

markho said:
I have to say this is the most depressing and sorrowful thread I 've ever read. When on earth will this kind of thing stop. Don't the government give compensation to land owners and farmers for any loss of livestock to things like G/eagles WTSE etc. Surely there is no need to lay down bait the these birds, or any other predator.
You are right, there is no excuse for this type of thing to be happening at all. Its all down to money at the end of the day

redeyedvideo said:

Dave J

Can you be sure the farmer put them there Dave.

derekjake said:

Well I am glad you are happy to be thought of as a fool - certainly more people than only me think so ! The offer is open, bet I can run you into the ground for all your big talk.

PS the caps lock is on the left of the keyboard incase you didn't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back