• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Essex Winter Waxwing Thread (1 Viewer)

Today - 30 at Colchester 6th form college, 23 still at Tropical Wings, 8 at Buckhurst Hill, 5 Wivenhoe. Yesterday 1 at Stanford Warren

I had 6 in the hedgerow along Cherry Orchard Way, north end by football pitches, this morning whilst I travelled to work, I couldn't stop unfortunately but this site held a flock of about 60 last year.

Viv said there are 24 waxwings in the allotments near the railway station in Witham, I'm guessing that's down Cut Throat Lane (great name) near Morrisons

17 in Buckhurst Hill today at the junction between Palmerston Road and Albert Road.
3 reported in Loughton too but I didn't catch up with them. Happy days! B :)

Attachments

• Waxwing 1 cf.jpg
    Waxwing 1 cf.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Waxwing 3 cf.jpg
    Waxwing 3 cf.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 30
I found 4 in Rochford, only about 100yards from the end of my road, at Maltings Villa Road during a lunctime visit.

Hopefully they'll be in the Rowan in my garden tomorrow, which would be nice

Lots of little flocks now around Essex. Going to keep a sharp eye on my local birding areas for them now. Would love to find my own flock..I'm hopeful.

I see from the report on the EBWS the waxwings in Maldon this week have increased from 12 to 35 today....Tempted to go see these.

Uhhh, not entirely sure, my dad's seen the Maldon ones apparently, I heard they're at the bottom of Fambridge Road where it joins to Limebrook Way on the roundabout I think

Just seen the Maldon ones, no chance of a picture, they're straight into the sun and hanging around at the top of a tall tree

Just seen the Maldon ones, no chance of a picture, they're straight into the sun and hanging around at the top of a tall tree

Nice to just see them though :t:

I passed within 2 metres of another lone bird this morning, sat in a berry bush in Braintree. Lighting conditions not brilliant though. Hopefully a few more may join it in the near future, and I may then go back with my camera.

Still yet to see this winters waxwings...Might go for the Maldon ones. Are they seen most times of the day?

Woow! Just seen on the EBWS there was 55 reported there...Gone from 12 to 55 and could increases still.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back