• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thayers or Vega Gull in Hokkaido? (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I struggle a liitle bit with the large white headed gulls here in Japan.

This individual is from the end of December in Hokkaido, Japan.

I thought it was just a Vega Gull at first but looking at the short legs, thin bill and relatively pale mantle I' wasn't so sure. I was actually distracted by something else when I was photographing it and when my attention went back to the gull it had disappeard..............

Vega Gulls seem to vary enormously anyway..............but I was wondering if this a Thayers Gull?

I've seen Thayers before in the area (I've been able to get a firm ID several times).

Any opinions/comment greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• _MG_5211.jpg
    _MG_5211.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 197
hi stu,

on jizz this looks perfect for an adult thayer's gull but to be on the safe side you'd need to see its primary pattern.

best,

I struggle a liitle bit with the large white headed gulls here in Japan.

This individual is from the end of December in Hokkaido, Japan.

I thought it was just a Vega Gull at first but looking at the short legs, thin bill and relatively pale mantle I' wasn't so sure. I was actually distracted by something else when I was photographing it and when my attention went back to the gull it had disappeard..............

Vega Gulls seem to vary enormously anyway..............but I was wondering if this a Thayers Gull?

I've seen Thayers before in the area (I've been able to get a firm ID several times).

Any opinions/comment greatly appreciated.

If you are able, please post as many gull shots as possible to the gulls section on birdforum

Both Thayer's and Iceland usually have that ugly bluey-gray base to the bill that contrasts fairly strongly with the yellow nail in winter, while all the Herring-type gulls have the base of the bill virtually the same color as the nail. There are Smithsonian Herring Gulls with bill colors like this, but they're not at all common. Additionally, the bill looks too thin and parallel-sided to me to be a bill of one of the Herring-type gulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back