• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ten weeks in Ecuador, 2010 (1 Viewer)

I'm so bad about finishing these reports... I leave for Ecuador again in 2 weeks, so I'd kind of like to revive my thread and finish it before starting the next one. Not to mention it will help me review the birds that I will be seeing again!

Dec 28 - Cotopaxi

While at Hosteria Papagayo, we arranged a series of day trips within the area. This day we were taken to Cotopaxi National Park, for a little bit of hiking and downhill mountain biking. Before leaving, I wandered around the hosteria grounds, picking up Hooded Siskin, Southern Yellow-Grosbeak (now called Golden-bellied Grosbeak??), Tyrian Metaltail, and Green-tailed Trainbearer.

We joined 2 others (in addition to the driver) for the trip to Cotopaxi, 2 women from a European country whose identity escapes me almost a year later... our first stop was at the park's visitor center, well above treeline and my first experience in the paramo. While my husband and the others perused the museum and partook of some coca tea, I of course wandered the grounds in search of birds. It was fairly quiet, although I did score a dark morph Variable Hawk, a female Ecuadorian Hillstar, and 2 White-throated Tyrannulets. Soon we were back in the truck and continuing to climb, our next stop being at Laguna Limpiopungo. The lake was teeming with waterbirds, all bearing the adjective "Andean": Andean Gull, Andean Ruddy Duck, Andean Teal, Andean Lapwing (not on the lake itself), and Andean Coot. Too soon we were back in the car, although during our slow climb I managed to pick out both Stout-billed and Bar-winged Cinclodes and Torrent Tyrannulet.

We drove up to a parking area, basically the end of the road, and now at a height just above the paramo vegetation. I can't remember the actual altitude, something like 15,000 ft. Here, we hiked up to the "refuge", a little hut that is just below the glacier and used as the starting point for climbers attempting to summit Cotopaxi. The hike to the refuge was only about a mile, but it was steep, often in loose sandy ash, and of course in very thin air, so it took about an hour. The views were spectacular. Birdlife was a scarce as the oxygen, I kept looking out hoping for condors, though I did see a few Plumbeous Sierra-Finches. My husband suffers in high altitude much more than me, so I arrived at the refuge well ahead of him, and not long after it had begun snowing. The snow turned to hail (small, but still stinging), and I turned back to accompany Tom- luckily he wasn't far away at this point. Soon we were all sitting at a wooden table inside the refuge, enjoying some hot chocolate followed by a delicious lunch of soup (and other stuff that I've forgotten). We hiked back down in a transformed landscape, fat snowflakes continuing to fall gently down. Back down at the cars, though, there was no sign of the storm just above.

Next on the agenda was a bike ride back down to the lake. The bikes were a little sketchy, I ended up with one with very poor brakes, and Tom traded me his bike- he was planning on flying down anyway. So off we went, this time Tom well in the lead, me gripping the brakes the whole way down, only partly because I wanted to search for birds. I was last in line, and with our vehicle following close behind I didn't feel right about stopping too long at any one spot to check things out. My hands began to ache from gripping the brakes so hard, but I just didn't have the guts to let go and fly. I was grateful to reach level ground, where Tom had to stopped to wait for me. We continued on to the lake together, and began to race as we watched a huge thunderstorm approach. It was an exciting end to the ride, both of us pedaling furiously toward our waiting vehicle, making it just before the heavens opened up. Though I had been much more worried about the lightning than about getting wet!

Couple views of Cotopaxi, and a Sparkling Violetear

Attachments

• 100_1739.JPG
    100_1739.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_1760.JPG
    100_1760.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_1677.JPG
    100_1677.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 60
Few more pictures... Southern Yellow-grosbeak, Laguna Limpiopungo, and Andean Gulls with Andean Coot.

Attachments

• 100_1684.JPG
    100_1684.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_1717.JPG
    100_1717.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_1721.jpg
    100_1721.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 61
29 Dec - Corazon

This day we had opted for a day of hiking, and we ended up being placed with a small group of people who wanted to climb nearby Corazon. Our agendas didn't quite mesh, although we all got along fine- but Tom and I had been hoping for something more leisurely, while several others in the group were on a mission to summit the mountain. We were driven in the back of a pickup through some winding back roads through farmland, eventually reaching natural paramo vegetation and getting dropped off by a gate where we began our hike up. I tried not to fall too far behind, so I let many tantalizing calls and rustles slip by. Hours into the hike we reached a plateau covered in a patchwork of grasses and puddles, and an Andean Snipe flushed- wow! A few Paramo Pipits flew by, and in the distance I saw large numbers of small birds moving about- how frustrating not to be able to stay and explore this area! At this point, Tom began to suffer altitude sickness and began to lag far behind. Even I was beginning to get a headache, have opted to carry the heavy Ridgley and Greenfield guide along with both our lunches and waters, and another man in the group was also feeling ill. Our guide was forced with a difficult decision, and later complained that there should have been at least one other guide for the trip. He split the group up- Tom, me, and this other dude were to wait while the rest went for the summit. I wasn't feeling too bad, so I took the opportunity to wander around leisurely in search of some birds. I found a few Paramo Ground-Tyrants, and watched a Stout-billed Cinclodes feed a fledgling. A Giant Hummingbird zipped by, and I got a good look at a male Ecuadorian Hillstar. My headache started to worsen, so I went to sit by Tom and wait for the group. As we watched the group summit in the distance and begin to descend, dark clouds began to roll in and thunder rumbled ominously. I began to feel impatient, wishing I could get Tom to a lower altitude (his rapid breathing worried me), and beginning to worry about the weather. Luckily the storm passed us by, and eventually the group reunited and we began our descent. Partway down I stopped and tried to find the source of a curious call- a hooting whistle, "Toot! toot-toot." I eventually gave up and ran to catch up with the group, but had I known at the time that it was a Tawny Antpitta, nothing would have torn me away without seeing it first!

Below, some pictures of Corazon and a sampling of the bizzare paramo plants.

Attachments

• 100_1745.JPG
    100_1745.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1757.JPG
    100_1757.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1766.JPG
    100_1766.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_1775.JPG
    100_1775.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1799.JPG
    100_1799.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 66
Back at in the gardens of the hosteria, I stumbled upon the nest of a Black-tailed Trainbearer containing a single nestling:

Attachments

• 100_1807.JPG
    100_1807.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1816.JPG
    100_1816.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_1818.JPG
    100_1818.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 56
30 Dec

This was our last day at Hosteria Papagayo. We were supposed to go visit a crater lake (the name escapes me), but the leader for the trip was sick and so the trip was canceled. Instead, we went on a horseback ride through the surrounding countryside. It was a much-needed restful day, with a leisurely 4-hour ride that included a picnic lunch. It was just Tom and I plus our guide, since neither of us are experienced riders- a more experienced group took a different and more challenging route.

Bird-wise it was also a quiet day, although after our ride Tom wanted to take a nap so I went for a walk along the roads. The trees lining the road produced a lot of songbirds, including wintering Blackburnian Warblers, a family of Black-crested Warblers, Spectacled Redstart, Cinereous Conebill, Rufous-naped Brush-Finch, and Black Flowerpiercer. I managed to catch up with a few of the hummingbirds zipping around, including a female White-bellied Woodstar, Tyrian Metaltail, and the fabulous Shining Sunbeam. That evening we caught a ride with a group heading back to Quito and stayed at the Embassy Hotel.

31 Dec - Bellavista

Today we were headed down the west slope of the Andes to Bellavista, an ecolodge in the cloud forest about an hour outside Quito. We had intended to take the bus, but apparently ended up at the wrong bus station- after standing in numerous lines trying to learn where their busses went, and being told by a couple of them to go to "Ofelia"- not realizing at the time that Ofelia is another bus station, I eventually got fed up and ponied up the cash to take a taxi to Nanegalito. The ride was rather frightening, expectedly so for me since I had traveled in Latin America before but quite new for Tom. Tom took a picture of our driver, who kept one hand by the horn at all times. We also got to witness an interesting aspect of Ecuadorian culture, as many cars sported effigies on the grill that would be burned tonight for New Year's- I kind of wished I had planned our night in Quito to coincide with the festivities. But we were off, and arrived in Nanegallito in one piece and hired a truck to take us up to Bellavista.

In addition to the standard eco-lodge cabins and rooms, Bellavista contains a small research facility with a kitchen and rooms that are rented out to tourists for $15 a night. We had opted for this option, both for the price and for the hopes that there would be researchers or other folks that we would meet and be able to celebrate the New Year with. It turned out that we were alone in the building, and that the electricity had gone out. Oh well, it was our honeymoon after all, and the necessary candlelight added to the a romantic atmosphere. We had brought some packaged food to cook, but for this night we made the 20-minute hike through the dark forest to join the other tourists at the restaurant, and enjoyed a delicious dinner and some wine with other visitors.

So about the birds- the feeders at the main lodge were swarming with hummingbirds, and Tom and I enjoyed sitting together watching the action and trying to get good photos. Surely both our favorites had to be the Booted Racket-tail, with its adorable fluffy white "boots" and curious racket-shaped tail feathers. Other frequent visitors included Gorgeted Sunangel, Collared Inca, Buff-tailed Coronet, Purple-throated Woodstar, Violet-tailed Sylph, Andean Emerald, and Speckled Hummingbird. The forest trails were filled with mixed songbird flocks, some representative species including White-tailed Tyrannulet, Streak-necked Flycatcher, Blackburnian Warbler, Slate-throated Redstart, Dusky Bush-Tanager, Pearled Treerunner, and Striped Treehunter. I scored my first mountain-tanagers, stunning Blue-winged Mountain-Tanagers feeding in a group. After dark, in fact during dinner, somebody came in to announce a Common Potoo just outside the building, so Tom and I rushed out to get a look. Fabulous!

Most of my hummingbird photos sucked, but here are some that were ok: Booted Racket-Tail and Buff-tailed Coronet. I got videos though that I'll try to post later.

Attachments

• 100_1830.JPG
    100_1830.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_1847.JPG
    100_1847.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 50
  • coronet_med.JPG
    coronet_med.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 56
1 Jan

First bird of 2010... Common Potoo, which I heard from our room in the pre-dawn darkness. Tom isn't much of an early riser, so I took off by myself for an early morning bird hike. It was a birdy morning, I have a long list in my notebook, some of the highlights include Grass-green Tanager, Golden Tanager, Masked Flowerpiercer, Toucan Barbet, Rufous Spinetail, and Streaked Tufted-cheek. The real star of the day, though, bounded across the trail in front of me. I didn't quite see what it was, so I crept slowly forward to where I saw it leave the trail- and was stunned to see a Giant Antpitta looking back at me from the ground. I stared open-mouthed in awe as it looked at me for a moment and then bounded away, disappearing into the undergrowth. This was NOT a bird I had expected to find on my own, although I was expecting to see it the next day at Angel Paz's place- more on that later.

Later in the afternoon, Tom and I hiked to a waterfall. Tom enjoyed taking photos of interesting plants and fungi, and I enjoyed some more good birds, such as Green-and-black Fruiteater, Tawny-bellied Hermit, and Strong-billed Woodcreeper. We happened upon a group of Plate-billed Mountain-Toucans, a much-wanted species for myself, not to mention how excited I felt to show Tom his first toucan.

Attachments

• 100_1913.jpg
    100_1913.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1907.JPG
    100_1907.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_1904.JPG
    100_1904.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 64
2 Jan - Angel Paz Antpitta Reserve

For today we had arranged a trip to visit Angel Paz's Antpitta Reserve. We met our driver and guide in the wee hours of the morning and arrived at the reserve before first light. We were given some snacks and began the hike down into the valley. Our guide searched for nightjars, and we got to see a female Swallow-tailed Nightjar, excellent although we didn't get to see a male. We searched unsuccessfully for owls as we made our way down to a blind. There, we sat to wait for dawn and the beginning of the Andean Cock-of-the-Rock's display. We began to hear their eerie calls before it was light enough to see them. Tom seems to have a soft spot for birds that make weird noises, and he was also the first to spot one of these bright orange birds. Soon we had the scope on it, what a fabulously bizarre sight! We caught sight of several more males and watched the antics for about an hour before heading on to the next attraction- a fruit feeder nearby. Here, we were treated to close-up views of Sickle-winged Guan, Toucan Barbet, Blue-winged Mountain-Tanager, and Crimson-rumped Toucanet. We watched as one of the Toucan Barbets attempted to claim the central platform to itself, driving off any other bird that dared approach, and then found itself in a stare-off with a Sickle-winged Guan- and the barbet reluctantly gave it access.

After watching the feeders for a while, it was time for the real stars of the place- the antpittas. First up, after a long hike further down into the valley, we were lead along a stream as Angel Paz called out "Willie, willie, willie!!" And suddenly, there was Willie- a Yellow-breasted Antpitta, standing on the stump of a tree, flicking his wings nervously. Angel set some mealworms on the stump, and we watched transfixed as Willie hopped back up onto the stump to eat the worms, still nervously flicking his wings, and then dashed back into the forest.

The same stunt was repeated several more times as we hiked back up, yielding three more species, including several Giant Antpittas (including the famous Maria), a Moustached Antpitta, and amazingly the tiny Ochre-breasted Antpitta. I should have taken videos, most of my photos came out crap. It was incredible to watch these secretive birds come so close.

We wrapped up our time at Angel Paz's reserve by stopping at the hummingbird feeders on top of the ridge, which had many of the same species as Bellavista plus a few bonuses: Empress Brilliant, Purple-bibbed Whitetip, Brown Inca, and Velvet-purple Coronet. To top off the morning we were treated to a delicious Ecuadorian breakfast.

Attachments

• 100_1919.JPG
    100_1919.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1943.JPG
    100_1943.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1948.JPG
    100_1948.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1935.JPG
    100_1935.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 58
Willie, Maria, and the Moustached Antpitta (forget its name). I have a dark picture of some undergrowth that probably contains an Ochre-breasted Antpitta if you squint hard enough, but no need to post that one ;)

Attachments

• 100_1957.JPG
    100_1957.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_1961.JPG
    100_1961.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1965.JPG
    100_1965.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 66
2 Jan continued

The day wasn't over yet, and on the way back to Bellavista we stopped at Alamba Hummingbird Gardens. Quite a big day for hummingbirds, here we added Rufous-tailed Hummingbird, White-necked Jacobin, Brown Violetear, Fawn-breasted Brilliant, Green-crowned Woodnymph, Western Emerald, and White-whiskered Hermit. We walked down to the river and crossed under the highway bridge, where we found a female Andean Cock-of-the-Rock on a nest! Across the bridge, in the boulders strewn in the river were striking White-capped Dippers. A Little Cuckoo showed briefly in the forest across the river, and the gardens were teeming with birds including Ecuadorian Thrush, Brown-capped Vireo, Red-faced Spinetail, and Tropical Parula.

We enjoyed a cheap and hearty lunch in Nanegalito and then were taken back up to Bellavista. On the way we stopped for a Golden-headed Quetzal sitting in a tree by the road.

3 Jan

This was our last morning at Bellavista, and as usual I got up for some early birding while Tom slept in. I hiked along a dirt road in search of the highly coveted Tanager Finch, although my directions were a little fuzzy and I was never certain if I made it to the right spot- at any rate, I certainly did not see the finch. But there were plenty of other goodies. I caught a look at a Chestnut-crowned Antpitta as it foraged in the compost pile near the main lodge. I found a male Masked Trogon sitting in the road, perhaps it had been dust bathing or something, it flew off as I approached. Lots of warblers in the flocks, including Slate-throated Redstart, Russet-crowned, Black-crested, and Three-striped Warblers. Other nice additions were Spillman's Tapaculo, Glossy-black Thrush, and more looks at Plate-billed Mountain-Toucans. A couple of skulkers in a patch of bamboo eventually revealed themselve, handsome Long-tailed Antbirds. For all my efforts, when I returned to the room and found Tom awake I learned he had gripped me off on a good species- he described watching two large, black, white and red woodpeckers call and fly around just outside the porch. Powerful Woodpeckers!

We opted for the transport provided by Bellavista, and we were driven straight to the airport in Quito where we caught our afternoon flight to Loja in southern Ecuador. It was a beautiful flight down the avenue of volcanoes, despite all the clouds we could still see the snowy peaks of all the main volcanoes lining the central valley. After landing in Loja, we joined a shared taxi for the ride from the airport to Loja proper (~40 minutes), with Lesser Hornero and Long-tailed Mockingbird seen from the car. We got off at the main bus terminal in Loja to catch a bus to Zamora, further downslope on the eastern side of the Andes. The 2-hour downhill ride, mostly in the dark at this point, made me pretty motion sick... and maybe a little nervous. We got to Zamora late in the evening, grabbed a cheap ($2 apiece) but rather gross burger and fries at the only restaurant we found open, and hailed a taxi for the last leg of the trip- luckily a very short leg, a 10-minute ride to Cabanas Copalinga, a small reserve with cabins between Zamora and the entrance to Podocarpus National Park.

Willie, Maria, and the Moustached Antpitta (forget its name). I have a dark picture of some undergrowth that probably contains an Ochre-breasted Antpitta if you squint hard enough, but no need to post that one ;)

I think the Moustached is Shakira, and the ochre-breasted Susana, but it might be the other way around.

I was just in Ecuador in October, so this brings back great memories. Unfortunately, we missed those two, but Angel Paz' place is amazing!

Wow! You are seeing some really great birds there, I'm so jealous. Word of advice though, you should try to learn/use the Latin names of Neotropical birds before you commit any common names to memory. It will help you enormously if you get the opportunity to start to learning complex avifaunas in other locations in the tropics.

I think the Moustached is Shakira, and the ochre-breasted Susana, but it might be the other way around.

I was just in Ecuador in October, so this brings back great memories. Unfortunately, we missed those two, but Angel Paz' place is amazing!

It is the other way around-the Ochre-breasted got the Shakira nominer because it moves its tail back and forth I suppose reminiscent of the Colombian singer´s moves.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back