• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania - Field Guides help wanted! (3 Viewers)

RJL2005 said:
Please can somebody recommend good field guides for birdlife and general Tanzanian wildlife.

Thanks

Rhod

Rhod

The 2 best for birds IMHO are Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Stevenson & Fanshawe, and Birds of Kenya & Nth Tanzania by Zimmerman & Turner. Both by Helm.

Latter is probably marginally the better, but former is easier for lugging around when travelling. Both are excellent though.

Cannot really comment on other wildlife but would think that any quality publication on wildlife of E Africa would be OK.

Nick

I'd definitely use Fanshawe and Stevenson's East Africa guide for the birds (I rate it far more than Zimmerman and Turner's) and Jonathan Kingdon's Field Guide to the Mammals of Africa. There's also a recently published East African reptile guide which I haven't seen.

E

Edward said:
I'd definitely use Fanshawe and Stevenson's East Africa guide for the birds (I rate it far more than Zimmerman and Turner's) and Jonathan Kingdon's Field Guide to the Mammals of Africa. There's also a recently published East African reptile guide which I haven't seen.

E

I have the Zimmerman & Turners guide that I used on a trip to Tanzania & Kenya. For those used to the Collins guide in Europe the illustrations leave a lot to be desired.

There is also "Birds of Africa south of the Sahara" by Ian Sinclair and Peter Ryan, published by Struik.

This book, while relatively bulky for a field guide, covers over 2000 species from the southern margin of the Sahara all the way to Cape Point, so would serve for E. Africa, W. Africa, and all points south.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

I recommend Birds of east africa by Fanshawe and stevenson.
Zimmerman and turner's birds of kenya and northern tanzania will only be useful in kenya.
Nicky!

E

The reptile guide is brilliant - bulky for travelling though. For birds of prey - which Tanzania has loads of...SASOL Birds of Prey of Africa and its Islands. Two pages devoted to almost all the species except the very rare smaller owls.

The latter and the Stevenson & Fanshaw of Birds of East Africa are never apart in my bag.

There is also "Birds of Africa south of the Sahara" by Ian Sinclair and Peter Ryan, published by Struik.

This book, while relatively bulky for a field guide, covers over 2000 species from the southern margin of the Sahara all the way to Cape Point, so would serve for E. Africa, W. Africa, and all points south.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

I looked at that one, but was rather disappointed with the pictures. I currently own the Helm guide to birds of east Africa, but with consideration being given to a more southerly trip (Botswana/South africa) I'm wondering if I should stick with what I've got or get another one like the sinclair guide. What do people reckon?

Hi

The ..birds south of the Sahara... was indeed a noble attempt and hopefully the authors/publishers will be updating new editions on that. At the moment though there are a few mistakes still in and you're best having 2 field guides, for East Africa and Southern Africa respectively.

For Southern Africa I'll recommend the SASOL Birds of Southern Africa, which also has Sinclaire as a contributing author. Then there's also the Newman's Birds of Southern Africa. Another new edition to the bunch of field guides down south is the Robert's Field Guide - not personally seen it yet but apparently quite good.

Hope this helps

Thanks Marcell,

My lovely partner has just bought me an early birthday present- the SASOL Birds of Southern Africa guide! :) Its nicely laid out and the pictures are pretty good (although not quite up to the artistic standard of the Helm East Africa bird guide). I like the quick reference features, the detail on wing patterns and birds in flight (particularly the raptors) and the useful checklist in the back though. So thanks for the recommendation.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back