• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiftlet from Kinabalu, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, took this bird at the entrance to Kinabalu Park in Malaysia. I spotted it flying alone, quite high up in the air and my first impression in the field was that it looked larger/longer-winged than typical Aerodramus swiftlets and thought I had a Giant Swiftlet - but I'm not too sure after looking at the photos again at home.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_3865.jpg
    DSC_3865.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_3864.jpg
    DSC_3864.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_3867.jpg
    DSC_3867.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 16
In my day, almost 25years ago, we ticked these as Germain's, now called Plume-toed but many of these birds are ticked on range by most birders, considered unidentifiable, outside of the hand.

Giant has a forked tail though I think which this bird doesn't, it doesn't give the impression of being that big either?

Last edited:
Given the lack of tail notch on the closed tail, I would say it's an Aerodramus. I really struggle to identify Giant Swiftlet from photos, as for me, it's flight action and size rather than plumage features when I see them in the field. I would add, your bird doesn't long long enough at the rear (think half way between Aerodramus and Palm Swift).

The vast majority of the time I've seen them at Mount Kinabalu is ahead of a rain front too, pushing them lower, in flocks, passing by for 1-2 minutes before clearing off.

Andy - Germain's is an Aerodramus, Plume-toed is a Collocalia - think you're getting mixed up with Glossy Swiftlet which is now Plume-toed (25 years ago it would have been called Glossy). Germain's is still known as Germain's by some quarters, or part of Edible-nest Swiftlet, though Germain's itself is not found on Mount Kinabalu - it's a coastal taxon on Borneo.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back