• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL (1 Viewer)

......I promised myself to sell off 3 bins when I ordered the Swaros....

We all make these promises to the Binocular God. He (or She) remembers, and will call us to Judgement. Those who have failed will be doomed to push a Canon IS 10x42 up a mountain for all eternity, or search at Twilight for rarities with a pair of twenty-dollar 8-70 zoom magnification Tascos with Ruby Coatings.
Not much difference in the new eyecups for me, I leave mine pushed in, with a pair of o-rings, ´cos I have to wear my glasses pretty much all the time nowadays.

Matt. The part number of the rainguard of my 10x42 SVs is 678-0288 and on my 10x42 ELs is 659-0278,at least that's what is stamped on them. To be honest i cannot see much difference between them.

I've done a google search on the net and found some pictures, there's definately a different design of rainguard for the latest Swarovisions and the old model EL!!

Matt

Attachments

• 3522.jpg
    3522.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 162
  • swaro rg.jpg
    swaro rg.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 141
We all make these promises to the Binocular God. He (or She) remembers, and will call us to Judgement. Those who have failed will be doomed to push a Canon IS 10x42 up a mountain for all eternity, or search at Twilight for rarities with a pair of twenty-dollar 8-70 zoom magnification Tascos with Ruby Coatings.
Not much difference in the new eyecups for me, I leave mine pushed in, with a pair of o-rings, ´cos I have to wear my glasses pretty much all the time nowadays.

:-O My luck I'll be stuck with both, and the Canon will have dead batteries.

I thought maybe the revised cups eliminated the need for o-rings. With the cups all in, I get blips of blackouts while panning. Back 'em out 2-3 mm and problem solved. I still wonder why Swaro (or anyone else for that matter) can't anticipate these things.

Speaking of panning, Brock: no rolling ball for me, but things do get a little squished just as they reach the edge. Not intrusive, just noticable if I go looking for it. But you can let your eyes wander over the view and it's all sharp with only a tiny bit of pincushion. Very nice.

With the cups all in, I get blips of blackouts while panning. Back 'em out 2-3 mm and problem solved.

I only need to back the eyecups out from the "full-in" position a millimetre. My glasses sit quite close to my eyes, and I don´t get any blackouts.
As far as the rainguard goes, I prefer flexible rubber ones from cheaper binos. I have a lot to spare, so if you like that style, PM me and I´ll send you one.

I've done a google search on the net and found some pictures, there's definately a different design of rainguard for the latest Swarovisions and the old model EL!!

Matt

Yes indeed they are differant but i am sure the old version will fit ok as long as the eyecups are extended.
I dont like this version anyway i use the big SL rainguard, on my EL and SLC-HD.

Matt

Yes,these are the two rainguards i gave the part numbers for. Are you saying that you have been sent the ones on the LHS for SVs ?

I don't care for the rainguard that came with my Swaro 8x30 SLCneu, well it worked ok with the regular eyecups but not the winged eyecups. Still trying to figure what to use.

I don't care for the rainguard that came with my Swaro 8x30 SLCneu, well it worked ok with the regular eyecups but not the winged eyecups. Still trying to figure what to use.

Steve:
Swaro. sells a winged rainguard that just fits those cups on the 8x30,
I got one when I ordered the winged eyecups. I suppose it was extra.

Jerry

Yes,these are the two rainguards i gave the part numbers for. Are you saying that you have been sent the ones on the LHS for SVs ?

Yep, however the chap from Swarovski who is also a member on here has now rectified the issue!!

Matt

Matt

I noticed the difference between the two rainguards from your pictures, one seems to cover the slightly bevelled rims of the armouring around the outer edges of the oculars.
In his review of the EL SV's Jan Meijerink wondered why the armouring is bevelled and not straight, is there some kind of reason for this particular design detail?

Best regards,

Ronald

I noticed the difference between the two rainguards from your pictures, one seems to cover the slightly bevelled rims of the armouring around the outer edges of the oculars.
In his review of the EL SV's Jan Meijerink wondered why the armouring is bevelled and not straight, is there some kind of reason for this particular design detail?

Best regards,

Ronald

Ronald:
You are correct in spotting the differences in the EL's. I am thinking there
is no particular reason for the angled armor in the SV, but merely a styling
excercise, and a way to distinguish the newer model.

Jerry

I agree with Gerry. There are a lots of styling details and accessory attention to detail on the SV.

For example, the cut back of the rainguard; the cut backs on the objective covers so they fit nicely around the bridge but are wider and more grippy elsewhere on the barrels; the IPD retaining setting of the rainguard (something Nikon did in a more clunky way on the EDGs and eventually dropped in the more recent revision). The field case is bigger more curvey and can be worn as a should bag or a waist bag. Or not at all if you're like me.

The SV strap is also a bit over engineered but will do the job in a similar manner to the new Nikon strap though in this case I think the Nikon design is a bit cleaner.

Last edited:
Ronald:
You are correct in spotting the differences in the EL's. I am thinking there
is no particular reason for the angled armor in the SV, but merely a styling
excercise, and a way to distinguish the newer model.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry, I was just wondering.

It's my ergonomics obsession that led me to believe there might be some sort of practical reason rather than a stylish one. But you're probably right.

Best regards,

Ronald

Whether the changes to the rain guard were practical or merely stylish, I have found that the guards on my SV are easier to use than on my original EL.
Ben.

I have read through the entire thread today. Interesting and informative. One question that I never saw answered asked about the "Swaroclean" coating. How well does it actually shed water? One other question is the winged eyecups. Can anyone comment on their practicality?

I have read through the entire thread today. Interesting and informative. One question that I never saw answered asked about the "Swaroclean" coating. How well does it actually shed water? One other question is the winged eyecups. Can anyone comment on their practicality?

Hello Argon

I dont think that the winged eyecups are available yet for the SV, i have used them though on other Swaro's and i personally like them, but as always its best to try them out first and see if they suit you...

Argon:

I have had Swaros. both with and without the Swaroclean, I am a very
careful type when cleaning my optics, so really cannot say I have seen
much difference. I do not use mine in the rain, so that is another story.
I am thinking it also helps preserve the coatings, as an addl. layer of defense.
The original EL has available winged eyecups, and I have them and use them
in the summer months. They are a nice asset and do help with avoiding side stray lighting, and I do recommend.
AKAIK, the new SV does not have the winged eyecups yet, if available, they
would be just the same.

Jerry

Eagle Optics lists the winged eyecups for the 8.5 EL - it does not specify SV. Would they be different? They also have a combo item listed (although not in stock) of EL winged eyecups with accompanying rainguard.

As far as the Swaroclean - I googled the other day and found a couple of discussions about what it mean in relation to Lotu and Leica's hydro. The speculation (and we do some of that here) indicated that Swaroclean did indeed shed water and the posters did not understand why Swarovski was not touting it as a feature. So... I was hoping that we might have some real life experiences here rather than marketing hype. IF you bird or hunt (I do some of both) then eventually you will get caught in the rain.

And...thanks to everyone for their quick and in some cases yet to be posts. I find forums invaluable when researching a purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back