• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svbony 406P/46P 80mm spotters anyone? (1 Viewer)

Hi all, my first post on here. I hope this question is in the right thread?
Can anyone please advise on a good budget DSLR body to use with the Svbony 406p 80mm 20 - 60 x zoom please?

I'm interested to know if I can get a significant upgrade in picture quality over my Redmi Note 9pro smartphone that I've been using for digiscoping? The DSLR will need the ability to be able to pair a Bluetooth shutter button as I've found this essential in stopping shake when using the phone on the scope as my tripod isn't the greatest and this spotting scope is quite large.
I've attached an image that I'd really like to improve upon if possible. It's of a Marsh Harrier at Pett Level on full 60x zoom using the Redmi Note 9 pro. I'm quite pleased with it already, but would love to see if it's possible to get even better with a DSLR attached as this scope seems very capable to me. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_175147.jpg
    IMG_20220320_175147.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20220320_184240.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
Hi all, my first post on here. I hope this question is in the right thread?
Can anyone please advise on a good budget DSLR body to use with the Svbony 406p 80mm 20 - 60 x zoom please?

I'm interested to know if I can get a significant upgrade in picture quality over my Redmi Note 9pro smartphone that I've been using for digiscoping? The DSLR will need the ability to be able to pair a Bluetooth shutter button as I've found this essential in stopping shake when using the phone on the scope as my tripod isn't the greatest and this spotting scope is quite large.
I've attached an image that I'd really like to improve upon if possible. It's of a Marsh Harrier at Pett Level on full 60x zoom using the Redmi Note 9 pro. I'm quite pleased with it already, but would love to see if it's possible to get even better with a DSLR attached as this scope seems very capable to me. Thanks.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Please join in wherever you like :)

Has anyone tried the SV406P 65mm scope?
I've had this scope for about a month. It's my first and I wanted something easy to carry that would help me get my feet wet before I decided on a larger scope down the line. I paired it with a Celestron NexYZ digiscoping adapter and it's been great capturing the hummingbirds that frequent our patio, and I only wish that I would have had it for lekking season which was the main thing that made me want to start capturing images. So far I feel like I have a lot to learn about digiscoping before a larger or better scope would make any difference. I really can't recommend the SV406P 65mm enough. I haven't bought any additional eyepieces yet, but I love that it has that option, and I love that with the shorter zoom length I have a shorter focal length for the hummingbirds which don't mind me being somewhat close.

IMG_20220518_183108_2.jpg

Got mine a couple of hours ago, rushed to test it against the Nikon ED82A. It seems a very fine and bright scope, and the zoom was a lot more to my liking than I had expected. Got very close to seeing the full FOV with spectacles at all magnifications.
My Nikon scope is apparently a cherry, and the Svbony lagged a little bit behind with the detail, but it was still better than I had anticipated. There is some CA visible in the center of the field that's absent in the Nikon.

Tried it with a couple of astro eyepieces. Unfortunately, the GSO Superview 20 mm didn't reach focus. The William Optics SWAN 15 mm, 72 degrees, very, very barely reached infinity focus. I wore my contact lens that possibly is a wee bit too strong, so I wouldn't recommend it for astronomy or if you're an undercorrected myope or don't use spectacles.
What's worse, was the field curvature. It is easily detected even if I hold this eyepiece against the Nikon's body. Guess it's not so good for fast scopes, and the Svbony is faster than the Nikon. Would be interesting if somebody tried it with Pentax XW eyepieces.

//L

So I put the 40x Wide DS on the ED50A, and the Svbony's zoom to 40x. Tonight was, just like yesterday, perfect for long distance viewing.
There are harbour seals, Blue Herons and Cormorants that are stationary, the viewing distance is 8 kilometers and I'm at an elevated position about 60 meters up.

The ED50A was a bit dim, but very, very sharp to my eyes. In fact slightly sharper than the Svbony, but the margin was very, very small.
The Svbony's brightness was obviously superior, and possibly brighter at 60x than the Nikon at 40x.
Again, there was some central CA in it that was absent through the Nikon. It is in every respect far better at 43x than the Pentax PF-65EDA II that was my first scope.

This sample is possibly not the best one to push to 125x, but certainly a very competent, if not over-qualified, scope for my intended purpose.
I have looked through several horrific samples of Kowas and Swaros, kindly lent to me from proud owners unbeknownst of my fastidious eye.
Same with a Pentax 80 mm and various sad excuses for scopes by el cheapo Chinese brands, even at 100 mm.

This scope is in a completely other league, and delivers at least 85-90% of what my cherry Nikon ED82A does. Can barely imagine what a perfect sample could do, but the 100 mm is tempting.

//L

Tonight, there was a bit more humidity in the air along with more wind, but the air was still very clear. Used the Bushnell 2.5x doubler and 60x, making the scope a 150X80. It was again better than anticipated with surprisingly good detail, and while the CA was there, it was largely unobtrusive.
I think it's closer to the ED82A than my initial assessment, certainly not a lemon, and if there's a wide spread quality-wise, this one would be in the top third according to my guesstimation.

//L

Wow!! 150x in one 80ED spotting scope is.... Really possible? You can focus the image with a doubler?
It is not enjoyable for terrestrial viewing, though. The doubler is, as all scopes, monoculars and binoculars, an afocal instrument, but preset to infinity so it has no focus function. The fine focus of this scope enables fine-tuning of focus, if initial focus, before adding the doubler, wouldn't be perfect.

for the past few months i have been using a 1.9x barlow with the stock zoom lens. surprised at how sharp (but dim, naturally), the image is at 115x, when conditions exist. no noticeable ca on axis. terrestrial viewing only ...

Last edited:
Seeking guidance regarding the SV406P 16-48×65 I just purchased.

My first spotting scope, I like it but thought it would have greater resolution, a more focused/ “crisp” image based on the reviews I read. My only pair of binoculars is 9x so I suspect greater magnification associated with the spotting scope is at least part of the difference vs. my binoculars? Using a tripod with spotting scope.

Based on the assumption that the zoom eyepiece on the 65mm version is the same as the 80mm version “about 7-21mm” on 80mm per Svbony
I determined the focal length of the 65mm objective version to be approximately 336mm (the scale printed on the eyepiece shows both 16-48x AND 20-60x magnification so assuming they are the same eyepiece).

I also ordered a SVBONY SV118 Barlow Lens (it is 2x) which does not focus on objects further than about 100 feet away so useless (wish I had read this thread before purchasing!!).

Finally, my questions:

1. Using a “good” fixed eyepiece, can image quality be improved vs. use of the original zoom eyepiece?

2. Given my assumptions regarding the 65mm scope are correct (focal length is approximately 336mm) would a 10mm fixed eyepiece give about 33.6x magnification in this scope? Any specific product recommendations for a 10mm (or other) fixed eyepiece appropriate for this scope?

3. Is 30x magnification a good/versatile goal for general wildlife viewing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

30x would be a good power, enough of a step up from 9x, though there’ll be times you’ll want more or less. Svbony sell some flat field eyepieces that I think people have reported using:

Peter

Based on the assumption that the zoom eyepiece on the 65mm version is the same as the 80mm version “about 7-21mm” on 80mm per Svbony
I determined the focal length of the 65mm objective version to be approximately 336mm (the scale printed on the eyepiece shows both 16-48x AND 20-60x magnification so assuming they are the same eyepiece).
The zoom eyepiece is a variant of the Svbony SV191 7.2-21.6mm eyepiece, so the 65mm scope has a focal length of 345mm.

The zoom eyepiece is a variant of the Svbony SV191 7.2-21.6mm eyepiece, so the 65mm scope has a focal length of 345mm.
Thank you Wllmspd and Niels for your help, much appreciated.

Can I expect better resolution at a given magnification with a fixed eyepiece vs. the same magnification using the original zoom eyepiece on my SV406P 65mm?

A fixed eyepiece may be sharper and will probably have a wider field of view, but it depends on the specific eyepieces.

Peter

for the past few months i have been using a 1.9x barlow with the stock zoom lens. surprised at how sharp (but dim, naturally), the image is at 115x, when conditions exist. no noticeable ca on axis. terrestrial viewing only ...
What specific Barlow lens (brand/model/magnification) works well with the SP406P 20-60 x 80 and stock zoom lens? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back