• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svartadalen / Satra Brunn (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I wish to visit the black river valley area in mid may and understand that the area surrounding Satra Brunn can be very productive for several of species special to this area.
As I would like to try and get some decent photographs I would be really grateful of any further detail of exactly where to visit or where feeders can be viewed publicly.
Obviously the birds special to Sweden would be of most interest to try and photograph so any help or advice would be most welcome.

I'm not familiar with the area, but I do know that they give guided owl tours in Svartådalen. There are some info here, but only in Swedish I'm afraid. Also in my eyes they're very expensive... but I guess it would give nice photo opportunities?

Here's a link to the regional orrnithological society. Maybe they can help if you contact them?

I wish to visit the black river valley area in mid may and understand that the area surrounding Satra Brunn can be very productive for several of species special to this area.
As I would like to try and get some decent photographs I would be really grateful of any further detail of exactly where to visit or where feeders can be viewed publicly.
Obviously the birds special to Sweden would be of most interest to try and photograph so any help or advice would be most welcome.

Hi there Eos9,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself - I'm trying to find gen out about this area ahead of a trip in early June, and not getting very far, as there seems to be very little out there (in English) with specific sites for this area. Have a look at my thread, and a GoogleMap I've started, here - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=168128

You've probably found the details of Daniel Green's company. I've been in contact with him, and his prices are eye-wateringly expensive and he's not prepared to negotiate or share any info to his area. So, if you're happy to spend £150 for 2 hours in an evening to be taken to a site where Great Grey Owl hunt, then drop him a line. If that's too pricey, look elsewhere as he's not flexible in price nor approach!

I'll keep updating my thread if I find anything else out (I've got some enquiries live in Sweden), but would be really interested to hear how you get one - perhaps you'd be able to share some gen on your return?

Cheers!

Sorry to come to this thread a bit late. I don't have any specific info on sites, but can heartily recommend Daniel Green. No comment on his prices, as we encountered him through Naturetrek, but he is a fantastic guide, really helpful to birders at all levels. We had excellent views of Great Grey and Pygmy Owls with him in the area around Satra Brunn, among many other spectacular Scandinavian species.

Hi Eos9 - How did you get on??

Cheers, VC65

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back