• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

Interesting that it appeared to dwarf the Grey Heron, my reference books have it only slightly bigger than Grey Heron.
Sorry, a bit of hyperbole may have crept in there. It was definitely noticeably larger than the Grey Heron next to it but 'dwarfing' it was probably overstating the fact. It was still a very impressive bird.

Ron

Last edited:
Other highlights included a large flock of Siskin (Approx 200-300) flying over the woodland area and the obligatory Red Deer sighting in the woods on our way back to the car, they seemed remarkably tame!!

Those Red Deer in the woods are a huge attraction at the moment. It's great seeing people's reactions when they first spot them and then realize just how confiding they are. A photographer's dream, except that they are usually in the gloom beneath the trees. This is another photo which I took the week before last and this one was actually too close for my 'birding' lens. I had to keep moving back to fit it in and ended up off the path and in the woods.

Incidentally, the Red Deer rutting viewpoint appears to have been a great success with around 1100 people taking advantage of it over a weekend. It seems they have extended it for this week, presumably to fit in with half term.

Ron

Attachments

• Deer-facing-small.jpg
    Deer-facing-small.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 62
Good views of the Pallas's Warbler today in the Sycamores behind Landguard Bird Obs this afternoon, showing with a Firecrest, distantly but everyone managed to connect except those that turned up at duskish. It was quite a nice twitch actually, (for a warbler) not many people, plenty of space for viewing etc.

At least 2 Ring Ouzels in the bushes on the sea ward side of the obs.
Many thanks to the guy who told it was showing when we were the wrong side of the obs.
Cheers
Steve

Sound like a top day at Landguard, I had got my Atlas visit in early just North of Bury St Edmunds East of Fornham St Martin... got plenty birds to keep it interesting. Including pair of Buzzard above a copse and good flocks of Fieldfare, Redwing and assorted finches.

Then had look in on Lackford, 50 species on site with good numbers of Wigeon grazing and the 1st Goldeneye of the Winter. Good times!

A good day out yesterday along the Orwell. Cycled down to Levington to get some BTO Atlas roving records in the area. Loads of duck on Loompit Lake, predominately Wigeon with several Gadwall etc. A few Great Crested Grebes and Brent Geese on the river and in the woodland a few birds including Treecreeper. Got a text from my mate to say did I want a lift to Landguard for the Pallas's. Texted back to say half way there so might meet up later.

Decided to go to Landguard and stopped off at Fagbury Cliffs but few birds, might have been more possibly if I'd hung around longer. At the back of the Obs found my mate and saw the Pallas's well along with a Chiffchaff in the poplars - as Steve says only a few birders there. Round the front a couple of Ring Ouzels including a cracking male and Firecrest.

Cycled down View Point Rd to Adastral Cl for the Yellow-browed Warbler. Really close views of Goldcrest and Firecrest - at least 2 present then we picked the YbW up. As the birds moved along I picked my bike up and was watching one tree while my mate and another guy where watching a different tree. I called I've got it and they said they were watching one, so it seems there were 2 YbW there.

Gi

Had my first local Barn Owl today since May (ish and thats rather shocking when I think about it) from the train on my way back from school, just east of Thurston station, quartering some rough ground. Not rare, but brightened up a dull day.

Had my first local Barn Owl today since May (ish and thats rather shocking when I think about it) from the train on my way back from school, just east of Thurston station, quartering some rough ground. Not rare, but brightened up a dull day.

Thats SWEET - always thought that'd be good area for 'em. Most local to BSE I've seen them is Micklemere. That would certainly brighten me train journey back from work - at present a small flock of Golden Plover around the new section of the A14 is the highlight.

Thats SWEET - always thought that'd be good area for 'em. Most local to BSE I've seen them is Micklemere. That would certainly brighten me train journey back from work - at present a small flock of Golden Plover around the new section of the A14 is the highlight.
you should have a good look at that flock there was an american one at east harling a couple of days ago

hi i have a photo of the grey hron flying in to mob the grt white egret on the day it first appeared at minsmere 20th sept.i will post pic if i can find out how , ive only just joined this bird forum.it wa one of my pics that was sent to france to i.d it so i have a special interest in this bird,

Actually despite all the time I put in to Micklemere (not regular, but I check it frequently in spring around evening time) i've never actually had one there, despite down the road around Livermere area being owl heaven.
Golden Plover should be good knowing that there's been an American GP about, hopefully should make atlasing 'north Elmswell' a tad more exciting then it will be (slight gripe bout atlasing, last years was a good tetrad, this years not so!)

Cheers
Steve

hi i have a photo of the grey hron flying in to mob the grt white egret on the day it first appeared at minsmere 20th sept.i will post pic if i can find out how , ive only just joined this bird forum.it wa one of my pics that was sent to france to i.d it so i have a special interest in this bird,

Welcome to Birdforum and well done on your photo. I didn't get to see it but have been told by friends that the Grey Heron was seen on more than one occasion to mob the egret.

Gi

Golden Plover should be good knowing that there's been an American GP about, hopefully should make atlasing 'north Elmswell' a tad more exciting then it will be (slight gripe bout atlasing, last years was a good tetrad, this years not so!)

Cheers
Steve

My one is also not as good as the two I did last year. Looking at the BTO map there were only two left in SE Suffolk, one at Levington which is mostly river, so is only a roving tetrad, so I was there on Sunday and the other in the middle of Whitton/Castle Hill estates in Ipswich!

Gi

My one is also not as good as the two I did last year. Looking at the BTO map there were only two left in SE Suffolk, one at Levington which is mostly river, so is only a roving tetrad, so I was there on Sunday and the other in the middle of Whitton/Castle Hill estates in Ipswich!

Gi

Well you might get Waxwings Rosy Starlings and Baltimore Oriole or a Golden winged Warbler on the Whitton. (Or mugged)

went over to alton water today to the tattingstone wonder car park didn't find anything unusual on the water shedloads of great crested grebes, tufted ducks and few little grebe and pochards being the highlights, also had great views of up to 4 kingfishers and there were a couple of coal tits and a marsh tit on the feeders with the commoner birds.
but the highlight for me was my first views of redpoll with a small flock of about 10 birds feeding in the birch, yes i know it's quite embarrassing that it's taken me this long to get a confirmed view of redpoll i was beginning to think it was never going to happen
cheers

Nice one Paul E.

No embarrassment needed on Redpoll front took me till last year & still only had three views - lovely little birds tho aint they. I nipped across the border into Cambs & Norfolk - was me 1st visit to Grafham Water, was amazing.

Peregrine this morning along with me 1st Black Necked Grebe then up to Welney this afternoon - seen me 1st Bewick Swan.

I am gonna conecentrate on Suffolk for a bit now, no more vagrancy!

I had six today on my patch, I often hear them on the coast on migration. I get confused with all the fancy names so I just list them as Redpolls. I am not interested in complicated lists just the record that the species is seen in my patch square

I had six today on my patch, I often hear them on the coast on migration. I get confused with all the fancy names so I just list them as Redpolls. I am not interested in complicated lists just the record that the species is seen in my patch square

Defo confusing, I'd like to get to grips with them tho - be good to be able to differentiate between our resident birds and migrants. I don't see enough of them to get that familiar.

As far as listing goes - my lists are very basic, indeed this is the 1st year I have listed but I'd recommend it to anyone. I don't chase rarities up & down the coast but it is sweet watching the numbers grow & seeing new birds.:t:

Turtle Doves

Hi all, out at Alton yesterday, first Goldeneye and a Slavonian Grebe of the autumn. Plenty of Widgeon,Gadwell and a few Shovellers present. Also 5 Little Egrets at Lemons Hill close to the A137. Back in mid-september I was suprised and pleased to come across about 20+ Turtle Doves which were in the Blackpond Meadow area for about a week, I wasn't aware that they flocked up before migrating.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back