• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (5 Viewers)

I was at Landguard relatively early for me today (about 7.30). The bushes were alive with birds, lots of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs, a few Blackcaps and a Whitethroat. Nice as they were, there was nothing rare amongst them to with hold me from getting to the beach to see the Dotterel that's been there for most of this week. Having dipped the spring bird at Landguard, missed them by half the Cairngorm Plateau on my holiday and having a mid week after school twitch for them called off, I was dreading dipping them again! Fortunately I needn't have worried as we met some guys coming off of the beach having seen it and showed me the photo's. My dad and I crest the ridge, hear a plover calling and I spot a plover in flight coming from the Felixstowe end of the beach. Light and speed make it defy identification but it pitches down on the beach. We try and re-locate it with bins and there in all it's two tone brown and ginger glory was the juvenile Dotterel. It runs off down the beach though, which suprises me seeing as it's been approachable to within a few feet recently. I crawl off down the shingle to try and photograph it and just hear over the surf the sound of my dads voice,
"There's two aren't there?"
"What???" I sneak a look over the shingle ridge, there's one Dotterel, and then another one runs into view! Result! And almost certainly the plover I had in flight earlier.
I settle down and take over 300 photo's of them in half an hour as they run closer to me. I creep back to where my dad has been joined by a few more twitchers and a group walk. I videoscope a little video of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ19aWFlpvA). A Med Gull is on the beach and the first skeins of Brent Geese of the autumn fly over the sea in their 'V' formation.
A large flock of Mipits and Linnets out on the common rise into the air as one great wall of birds as a juvenile Sparrowhawk unsucsessfully rips through them.
The walk around the point didn't really produce much although there were 2 fiesty Goldcrests around the back of the fort.
Back by the ridges there were still huge amounts of Willow Warblers, showing a large variety in their plumages, from lemon and lime, to cool greys and some showing quite white underparts.
Heading home at 11.30 was a bit of a mistake as a check on RBA when I got back revealed that since I left about 4 Honey Buzzards had gone over.
Mistake or so I thought until about half 2 when my dad was mowing the lawn and shouts my name. I rush out, grab my bins and get on too 3 raptors going over. One is clearly the local Buzzard, mobbing two other buzzard like birds, but subtly different, the longer tail, and neck and head and it's broader wings with smaller fingers all pointing to Honey Buzzard! We watch them for a few minutes getting great comparison views of the two species before they drift over.
A great day with two lifers as well!
Cheers
Steve

Yeah man - WHAT A DAY!

I was one of the guys that showed you the pics! Saw you & ya dad on your way 2 the then one Dotterel! Whats better than one Dotterel - 2!

Didn't see any Honey Buzards but had an Osprey over the Deben viewed from the mighty Maybush Inn at Waldringfield, two nice prolonged views & it even caught a fish!

Aside from that an absolutely top biridng day of it - did an early AM raid on Languard then Newbourne Springs followed by a walk up the Deben...

Two new Suffolk birds for me Osprey & Dotterel & as you said exciting to see the sheer volume of warblers at Landguard.

Good times!

An amzing afternoon at Minsmere yesterday. In just one hour there were 8 Honey Buzzards visible from the rear of the visitor centre. I believe they had a total of 18 for the whole afternoon.

Decided to have a day off today and go up the coast started at Boyton seemed to be Raptor day today with 3 marsh harriers 2 buzzards (common couldn't turn them into honey) a sparrowhawk and a couple of kestrels, a kingfisher flew across the river and a common tern made up the highlights didn't see any small stuff though and a snipe and a couple of curlew were the only waders present.
then i headed up to shingle street a few more migrants here with 3 wheatears a tree pipit several meadow pipits a couple of lesser whitethroats and 2 stonechats highlight though was a hobby
on the way home called in at sutton heath where i saw a nice goldcrest in the trees and a cracking whinchat on the heather there was also an entertaining if not slightly crazy kestrel that was chasing just about every small bird that moved and everytime he missed as he did everytime he immediatly went into a hover as if to say he meant to do it anyway
cheers

Looks like the fall didnt hit there Paul. Lowestoft area further north was heaving with migrant passerines with many Wheatears, Willow Warblers, Flycatchers and Redstarts.

Looks like the fall didnt hit there Paul. Lowestoft area further north was heaving with migrant passerines with many Wheatears, Willow Warblers, Flycatchers and Redstarts.
think youre right i was hoping for a few more there didn't even seem to be many resident birds about must be the first time ever that i've been out and not seen a chaffinch
although it could just be i didn't spot em
cheers

Last edited:
Visit to Minsmere

Evening to everyone,
just a few quick questions i will be visiting Minsmere this Sat?sun and it is my first visit, how long is it to walk around the site taking in the hides(which is the best hide) and which way round should i walk or maybe it doesnt matter. are the birds close enough to photograph or is it all a bino/ scope .
Kind regards,
Nigel.

Hi Nigel,
I personally tend to split Minsmere into two loops, heading out first to the beach and East hide spending sometime checking the bushes around the North hide first then the reed-bed on the way to the beach for Bearded tit etc, after checking the scrape from the east hide carry on to the sluice and the bushes just beyond then down to the South and West hide before ending up back around the centre for lunch. The second/afternoon loop is back through the woods spending most of your time in the Bittern hide or the Island mere hide then onto the canopy hide which does not normally yield to much. These loops can easily be done in reverse order if you prefer or all incorporated in one longer walk.
As for taking a camera quite simply,The Bittern will do the irish jig outside the Island Mere hide and you'll be trying to photo it with your phone. Carry it

Cheers Simon,
Thanks for the info, much appreciated even brought a smile to my face when you mentioned the bittern doing the irish jig lolB :).
kind regards,
Nigel.

Evening to everyone,
just a few quick questions i will be visiting Minsmere this Sat?sun and it is my first visit, how long is it to walk around the site taking in the hides(which is the best hide) and which way round should i walk or maybe it doesnt matter. are the birds close enough to photograph or is it all a bino/ scope .
Kind regards,
Nigel.
Hi Nigel. I have tended to get into a routine at Minsmere, which is similar to Simon's route.

I start off by walking down to the beach via the pond, which is good for dragonflies and grass snakes. I then go to the north bushes which is always worth a good search for various small birds. The path then leads along the north wall, with reedbeds either side and on to the the beach. I normally walk along the top of the dunes as this gives sea views and a better chance of seeing Stonechats, Linnets, and small migrants in the grass and bushes there.

I then branch off into the East Hide which gives good views of waders. With a bit of luck some of them will be close enough to photograph. Pot luck though. Back to the dunes and carry on southwards via gorse bushes which are very good for small birds. At the sluice you should see Swallows, including young ones which have been raised there, if they are still about. With a bit of luck you might see a Kingfisher there too. The bushes south of the sluice are good for small birds, including migrants.

Carry on through the gate by the sluice and in a little while there is a short temporary path beside the pools to see waders. Back on the main path there are reedbeds and bushes which are worth keeping an eye on. The South hide and West hide both give views of waders, some of which may be close enough to photograph.

I then carry on to the woods and turn right towards the Visitors Centre. The woods here often have Treecreepers and Muntjac Deer, as well as Woodpeckers and various tits and finches.

I stop off at the Centre for loos and refreshment and then head off west along the entry road to the reserve, towards the Canopy hide. There is not normally much to see here, although I have seen Red Deer in the pool below it. The grassy land to the south of the road by Canopy hide often has Green Woodpeckers on it. By going in this direction you will now be going DOWN the hill which is nice.

Keep an eye on the woods for various small birds and at the bottom of the hill on the left side there is a large grassy bank covered with Rabbits which sometimes has Green Woodpeckers, Foxes and Muntjac. I have seen Marsh Tits in the garden of the holiday cottage at the bottom of the hill, although this is normally in the winter when they have feeders out.

Carry straight along the road and in a little while there is a turn left, opposite a restored house. There is a rhododendron arcade which often has small birds and in a little while there is a clearing with a pool on the left. I have seen Nuthatches here and other small birds. The path then progresses past reedbeds and scrubby trees until it reaches a T junction. Turn right towards Island Mere hide, which is my favourite. The reedbeds here are the best place to see Bearded Tits and warblers and, as Simon says, I have had a Bittern moving about directly in front of the hide. Not doing a jig though! You should also have good views of Marsh Harriers from here.

I then carry on back towards the Centre. The big grassy bank on the left often has Green Woodpeckers and Jays and the willows and alders on the right are good for tits and finches. The track winds on past trees and bushes and in a little while there is a sort of valley on the right with lots of dead trees in it. This is good for peckers and deer. After a bit you come to the Bittern hide on the right. This is not my favourite as the atmosphere is often a bit serious and there is not much close enough to photograph. You should have views of Harriers, though, and with a bit of luck might see a Bittern flying. I then carry on through the woods to the Visitors Centre, looking out for deer and birds in the trees.

After the Centre, if there is time, I go back past the pond and on to the North hide. The path to this hide gives more views of the North Bushes from the other side, which are worth a good look. The North hide gives a good view over more pools and marshes with various waders and geese, although they are normally rather distant.

On leaving the hide there is a new temporary trail through the North Bushes which is excellent and should have plenty of small birds in the bushes. At the end of the trail you can turn left and head back to the Visitors Centre via the pond again, noting the sandy cliffs on the right with the Sand Martin burrows in it.

Apart from all that there are feeders at the Centre which are usually full of small birds and can give great opportunities for photography.

That is my normal routine. Perhaps it's time I changed it for a bit of variety!

I am sure you will have a great time at Minsmere.

Ron

Last edited:
Evening to everyone,
Kind regards,
Nigel.

I do roughly the same as Simon and Ron. If you're there first thing in the morning then I reckon that route is best as you've got the Sun behind you at the East hide. From here you'll often get some waders feeding right in front of the hide. I've got some cracking Blackwit pics from there this year.

Last weekend I had my best-ever views of Bearded Tits at Minsmere. The weather was very still and family groups were moving around all over the reedbeds between the Sluice and the South Hide.

does anyone know if the dotterel is/are still around at Landguard?

http://www.lbo.org.uk/89970.html

Another entertaining morning with a selection of migrants including 40 Mipits, 36 Wheatears, 14 Willow Warblers, 7 Tree Pipits, 4 Whitethroats, 4 Pied Flys, 3 Spot Flys, 3 Blackcaps, 3 Yellow Wags, 2 Chiffs & single Hobby, Snipe, Whinchat, Garden Warbler & Lesser 'throat. Also of note today 2 Jackdaws south & the Dotterel still present.

... should be! I saw it last Saturday... narrowly missed seeing the pair. Beutiful bird. Happy hunting!

Can't compete with the in-depth knowledge on here but for anyone with an interest in walking and / or public transport i thought i'd put up an interesting (imo) link i came across on a train today - East suffolk Lines Walks it's called, which is a fairly self-explanatory title all about walking routes between train stations in E. Suffolk.

That's a really interesting site - my brother does a lot of walking around Ipswich and like me uses public transport so that would be really useful for him. Thanks for posting it up Karl! :t:

After an uneventful walk around Lackford this morning (30ish Siskins, 3 Bullfinch and a Kingfisher the only highlights), I was really quite pleased to have an Osprey drift over my head at Livermere lake (2.30pm), probably the bird then reported at Lackford on rba at 4pm. I'm on a roll with finding good stuff at the moment! Also present on the lake were 3 Common Sandpipers. Anybody get any migrants on the coast?
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info on the Landguard dotterel, typically I failed to make it down there... however just to make life easy for me one turned up in Norfolk!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back