• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Styrka S7 = Vortex Viper HD? (1 Viewer)

eitanaltman

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I did a google search on Birdforum and didn't see this mentioned previously. But is it just me, or are the Styrka S7 the exact same binocular as the new Vortex Viper HD?

In this day and age of outsourced Asian binocular production, no "clones" should come as a surprise, but I was in the classifieds section and noticed the ad for the Styrka S7 and when I looked at the photo I was immediately struck by how it reminded me visually of the new Viper.

So I did a quick google search, and the visual similarity seemed even more painfully obvious. I attached a side-by-side photo for reference, there's a tiny difference in the angle but the physical commonalities are striking. The shape, the position and size of the bridge and focus knob, the diopter ring, etc.

And the specs are curiously similar:

- both 8x42 models have a 7.8 degree FOV and 18mm eye relief
- both 10x42 models have a 6.5 degree FOV and 17mm eye relief
- all four have a close focus spec of 6.5 ft
- the Styrka S7s are 5.5 inches long, the Vipers are 5.6 inches long (slightly longer eyecups)
- the Styrka S7s are 23oz, the Vipers are 24-25oz (likely slight exterior differences in rubber armor)

I think it's hard to escape the conclusion that Vortex and Styrka are sourcing these from the same place.

Incidentally, and this may also be obvious to others: the Styrka S7 line has an 8x30 model unlike the Viper HD line, but this 8x30 has an 8.3 deg FOV, 17oz weight, 15.1mm eye relief, only 4.6 inches long.... this is clearly another clone in the Monarch 7 "family".

Attachments

• viper vs styrka.jpg
    viper vs styrka.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 80
  • viper vs styrka 2.jpg
    viper vs styrka 2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back